Sir David and the Perpetual, Six-Day Wank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  06:44:01  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are all familiar with Sir David Attenborough -- anyone who is not, please raise your hand so' that you can have your eyelids amputated and be assigned a remedial tv course. Anyhow, we've been watching his splendid documentaries for decades, and hope to watch them for many more. Well, it turns out, and we would have known about it had we given it any thought, he too, gets mail, just like PZ.
Attenborough reveals creationist hate mail for not crediting God Riazat Butt, religious affairs correspondent The Guardian, Tuesday 27 January 2009

Sir David Attenborough has revealed that he receives hate mail from viewers for failing to credit God in his documentaries. In an interview with this week's Radio Times about his latest documentary, on Charles Darwin and natural selection, the broadcaster said: "They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance."

Telling the magazine that he was asked why he did not give "credit" to God, Attenborough added: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in east Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball. The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator."
Would that our responses to Creationist Crap were as classy. The world would be a slightly better place. Or not. Probably not -- it would only encourage them to greater depths of mean-spirited asininity.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  10:12:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Creationists have a God-in-a-box version of their creator. They worship a book rather than the wonders of what their creator might have created. And so it follows that they would have nature stuffed into the same tiny box.

Poor them. They have no capacity for wonder. With regard to nature, they wave away all that we have learned and all that is left to be learned, and in that way, even if there is a creator, they actively deny the creation. And in order to hold on to their tiny view of nature, they must try to suck the wonder out of anyone interested in gaining knowledge. And failing that, they wish for the explorers to "burn in hell and good riddance".

Even for believers, how pathetically small their view of God and nature really is.

Edited.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  10:41:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evolution is a fact that is more beautiful then the biblical creation story will ever be.

I kinda feel sorry for the folk that are trapped in their box of ignorance, never to understand the wonders and complexity of the origination of life on earth with all of it's magnificent glory.

How thankful I am to have never been enclosed in that box of ignorance.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  12:33:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
uncommondescent obviously had to moan about this. They did get one thing right:
With lots of brilliant photography his programmes are very watchable.

I ordered "The BBC natural history collection" on Blu-ray from Amazon the other day. Should be arriving any time now. "Wild China", "Ganges", "Galapagos" and "Planet Earth" in hi-def will be amazing!

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  20:34:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sir David has been a hero of mine since I was a little English schoolboy watching him on the BBC in the late 50s & early 60s. Anyone dissing him has to go through me first!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.