Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  13:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great stuff.

Obama on religion and government.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  14:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I noticed versions of this speech over on youtube where his words were cherry picked and then used to attack him.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  14:54:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He actually talks about using reasoning to make decisions. Has sanity been restored?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  15:47:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama explains secularism in practical terms.

I love his use of Abraham and Isaac, and how any normal contemporary American would at the very least call the cops if they saw Abraham with a knife poised over his son. How we would expect the Child Protective Services to take Isaac away from Abraham.

Barack's a pretty wise fellow.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  16:32:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And imagine this....he's the elected President of the mother humpin' U.S. of A.!
What a 180 degree turn away from the shrub. I hope to see/feel/hear/smell/whatever more good things to come from his presidency. Most of the entire world is rockin' with us.
Did you hear that world-wide collective sigh of relief the day after the elections?!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  16:44:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had high expectations for Obama and thus far he has way exceeded them.

It is great to have not only an adult back in the White House, but a smart & honest one in the bargain!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  17:58:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could be another thread, but what the hey...this was in the news today....

Obama's first televised interview as president....

...snip:
In a series of early and well thought out gestures towards the Muslim and Arab worlds, Barack Obama has clearly struck a new tone from Washington, raising hopes across the region that a line can be drawn under the past eight years of tense relations.

After promising mutual respect for Muslims in his inaugural speech, and moving swiftly to address the Arab-Israeli conflict by appointing George Mitchell as special envoy (see below), Mr Obama gave his first television interview as president on Monday night to a Saudi-backed channel, the Dubai-based al-Arabiya.

....read on at above link!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  05:43:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

And imagine this....he's the elected President of the mother humpin' U.S. of A.!
What a 180 degree turn away from the shrub. I hope to see/feel/hear/smell/whatever more good things to come from his presidency. Most of the entire world is rockin' with us.
Did you hear that world-wide collective sigh of relief the day after the elections?!

(bolding mine)

You´re spot-on about that! We´re rockin´ in Argentina, our brothers are rockin´ in Brasil, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, even in Venezuela. In Italy our brothers are rockin´ with you despite the curse called Berlusconi. England is rockin´.

Hope we all keep on rockin´ with you, our northern brothers and sisters!!!

Congratulations!!!

nico "perro de tokio"
Cordoba, Argentina

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  09:42:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's exhilaration or, in just a few months, the USA managed re-light itself as a beacon of hope for the rest of the world.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  10:17:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back a bit more on topic....seems a few fundies are a
bit peeved with Obama's wink to us non-delusionalist types.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  11:50:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a general rule if thumb, if you're pissing off the fundies you're doing something right.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  13:08:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

As a general rule if thumb, if you're pissing off the fundies you're doing something right.
I agree!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  15:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama made a clear call to people to remember to include all citizens in our democracy, along with the majority Christians. Anyone who objects to this would prefer to exclude one or more of those "Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." There is no other way to read the comments of those religious sectarian bigots.

Sectarian bigotry retains the deadly potential for strife and murder that it has had for millennia. As the President of all the people, Obama is trying to cool that threat, as is clearly his responsibility to us all for our collective greater good.

The basic problem is that Fundamentalist Christians (who are now the dominant strain of Christianity in the USA) think they have a monopoly on Americans, or should. After their wild, unconstitutional ride with the Bushies, they feel that nay loss of their power and prestige is persecution by "Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."

Again, I appeal to atheists to council these poor, hypersensitive souls, helping them to learn the skills we've honed over the years, so they can learn to survive in a culture that is not exclusively theirs.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/28/2009 15:57:41
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  17:20:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The basic problem is that Fundamentalist Christians (who are now the dominant strain of Christianity in the USA) think they have a monopoly on Americans, or should.

I really doubt that Fundamentalist Christians are the dominant strain in America. Certainly, they make the most noise. My guess is that most Christians are of the more moderate variety.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  17:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by HalfMooner

The basic problem is that Fundamentalist Christians (who are now the dominant strain of Christianity in the USA) think they have a monopoly on Americans, or should.

I really doubt that Fundamentalist Christians are the dominant strain in America. Certainly, they make the most noise. My guess is that most Christians are of the more moderate variety.
Well, it's my impression that the more moderate churches have been dying out in droves, as the Fundies have gained. I'll have to check the actual numbers (I should have previously) to see how far this has progressed. Also, "making noise" while their more moderate kin remains nearly silent has a certain "dominant" quality of its own.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/28/2009 17:38:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  18:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have this much so far:
Demographics

The 2004 survey of religion and politics in the United States identified the Evangelical percentage of the population at 26.3%; while Roman Catholics are 22% and Mainline Protestants make up 16%. In the 2007 Statistical Abstract of the United States, the figures for these same groups are 28.6% (Evangelical), 24.5% (Roman Catholics), and 13.9% (Mainline Protestant.) The latter figures are based on a 2001 study of the self-described religious identification of the adult population for 1990 and 2001 from the Graduate School and University Center at the City University of New York.
Here's a link to the .pdf of the 2004 study referred to above.

Those numbers, combined with the relative noise levels, seem to me to indicate that the Fundies are pretty much the top dogs in US Christianity -- especially since they receive support from most of the Roman Catholic hierarchy and conservative Catholic laity for many of their social and political stands.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/28/2009 18:29:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.