New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hholdings

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  19:14:22  Show Profile  Visit hholdings's Homepage Send hholdings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just how long can Obama prosecute the Afghan War before the American public turn on him and began to march in the streets? The talk is that Obama will increase the size of the force to about 60,000 troops. When should he began to draw down the force? Or does it depend on the type of successes he's perceived to be having? Or does that really make a difference? Our tolerance for war is very short, especially, if casualties are significant.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  21:54:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've an impression that both the American public and the world are a lot more tolerant of a war in Afghanistan than we have been of the war in Iraq, provided it is waged both intelligently and as humanely as possible. There, we really are fighting both those who attacked us on 9/11 and the former government that sheltered them.

The greatly added force levels that withdrawals from Iraq will make possible will likely send the Taliban and Al Qaeda reeling and at least force them to keep their heads down and wage a more low-level guerrilla war. The balance should shift very quickly as troops are brought in to garrison towns in Taliban-controlled areas, and to better intercept supply lines. They might even be defeated there.

One possibility is that the Taliban might feel enough pressure to divorce itself from Al Qaeda, and to call a long-term truce. US, NATO, and other allied forces would then able to concentrate upon Al Qaeda.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  03:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is, it will take quite a while to set up a stable government in Afghanistan. The country is divided into smaller territories governed by despotic warlords commanding private armies. They won't relinquish power just like that.

During the first invasion, the American Forces relied heavily on those private armies because (I suppose) they didn't want to risk American soldiers' life. As a result, the warlords and not American forces gained control over those territories once the Taliban influence dropped. And the warlords are not interested in democracy.

As I have mentioned so many times before: The Geneva Convention stipulates (paraphrased) that an invader of a country is responsible for keeping law and order in occupied territory. That is what should have been done in the first place, instead of scurrying over to commit war crimes in Iraq. America had a legit claim in Afghanistan, and a good opportunity to create something positive: a budding democracy. But through the lack of ground troops and control, it was lost.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  05:02:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

As I have mentioned so many times before: The Geneva Convention stipulates (paraphrased) that an invader of a country is responsible for keeping law and order in occupied territory.
Pretty much the Spider-man credo. And I agree.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  06:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget. What is the purpose of this war? What is it that makes this a "good war?"

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  06:58:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Al Qaida was chiefly based in Afghanistan and the regime was supporting it...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  07:04:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Al Qaida was chiefly based in Afghanistan and the regime was supporting it...

What was the reason for the war?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:08:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is, it will take quite a while to set up a stable government in Afghanistan. The country is divided into smaller territories governed by despotic warlords commanding private armies. They won't relinquish power just like that.

If the goal is a stable democracy in Afghanistan we're in trouble. But if the goal is to wipe out the Taliban it's doable. They have been gunning down foreigners throwing acid in the faces of girls who had the audacity to go to school, and committing all kinds of "religion of peace" atrocities, so support for eliminating them shouldn't be too hard to maintain, both in the US and among the people of Afghanistan.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:32:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, if the Iraq disaster hasn't caused mass protests in the US, then why would anyone think the Afghan clusterfk will?

Also, Simon, there is no point (literally) in trying to have a conversation with Gorgo on this kind of topic. He doesn't want to have a conversation, he just wants to berate anyone who doesn't have his exact opinion on the matter.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  11:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual, Dude has nothing to add to any discussion except insults. This from a guy who didn't know the U.N. was a treaty, and now that he knows, is still against trying to get the U.S. to conform to international law.

Simon answered with a slogan, not an answer. The question was, what is the reason for the war. Why do we care that the Taliban was "sheltering" al-Qaeda, and what evidence do we have that they were? What does that have to do with who knows how many deaths and injuries and property damage as a result of the war? How is this related at all to making the world a better place?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  11:59:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, there were mass protests trying to stop the war against the people of Iraq. Not sure what good they did, but they were there. Maybe they stopped a larger slaughter, I don't know.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  20:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it was important to go to Afghanistan for three main reasons:
-Retribution: Al Qaida killed thousands of innocent US citizens.
-Prevention: Weaken Al-Qaida, remove its support from the Talibans and reduce its ability to stage another attack.
-Prevention bis: Showing that attacking the US results in harsh consequences, hopefully, making other potential attackers to think twice before attacking.

As for, how did we know Al-Qaida was present in Afghanistan:
1- It was official and admitted by the Taliban government.
2- The US did put the Taliban into power... using Al-Qaida. They knew Al-Qaida was there, because Reagan put it there.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  20:33:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question wasn't whether al-Quaeda was present, it was whether it was "sheltered," and why would we care. What evidence was there at the time that anyone in Afghanistan had anything to do with the 9/11 bombing, and what evidence was there that attacking the people of Afghanistan would do less harm than good?

Carter and Reagan (and Clinton) did help al-Qaeda, although I don't think it was called that then.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  04:19:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by hholdings

Just how long can Obama prosecute the Afghan War before the American public turn on him and began to march in the streets? The talk is that Obama will increase the size of the force to about 60,000 troops. When should he began to draw down the force? Or does it depend on the type of successes he's perceived to be having? Or does that really make a difference? Our tolerance for war is very short, especially, if casualties are significant.

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, this is still a holy war to most Americans, so I think it might take a while yet for people to get tired of it.

I think the Vietnam war and now even the Iraq war are (somehow)seen as "their war," so people got tired of them, but this is still the war between Good and Evil as far as I can tell.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  05:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

The question wasn't whether al-Quaeda was present, it was whether it was "sheltered," and why would we care. What evidence was there at the time that anyone in Afghanistan had anything to do with the 9/11 bombing, and what evidence was there that attacking the people of Afghanistan would do less harm than good?

Carter and Reagan (and Clinton) did help al-Qaeda, although I don't think it was called that then.

(bolding mine)

The propaganda in the US during the 80´s used to called them FREEDOM FIGHTERS!

Anyone remembers Rambo III? Weren´t those the chappies?

How cynical! Unless it was meant as in fighting (against) freedom, but I doubt it.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  06:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rambo I was enough for me, sorry.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.