New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  10:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else noticed the annoying trend among scientists (in particular) to begin every sentence during an interview with "So, ..."?

Listening to some of my old podcasts I hear myself starting too many sentences with "Now. . . " As in "Now, you may think," "Now, what this means," "Now, some people may say," etc. Have to watch that.

The one that I hear more and more that bugs the crap out of me is "I seen." Look, it's either "I see" or "I've (I have) seen." Never "I seen."

Whenever I hear that I immediately assume they seen it out of the window of their double-wide.

I hate, hate, hate the word "Utilize." I can't think of any time that "use" doesn't work just as well.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  10:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

French would actually say: 'Je ne sais quoi'. 'Je ne sais pas quoi' is just as correct, mind you and, in fact, it is what one would normally expect... But that is not the expression.

Oui - mais il est un peu la parodie - en ajoutant le je ne sais "pas ce que" partie.

Another one is "irrigardless". (No! Its just "regardless".)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  11:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
verbage

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  12:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing that bothers me and is quite common, is (when writing) when people type "then" instead of "than" and vice versa. As in "I rather be here then there" or "cook it than eat it".

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  18:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by perrodetokio

Another thing that bothers me and is quite common, is (when writing) when people type "then" instead of "than" and vice versa. As in "I rather be here then there" or "cook it than eat it".
But that last one would seem correct in the proper context: "Ann Coulter: I'd rather cook it than eat it."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.