Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  04:14:57  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2255989.ece

The Sun, (Britain's favourite newspaper) are reporting the find of what appears to be a rectangular grid in the middle of the atlantic ocean near the Azores.

I think we can safely say the case is now closed.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  05:40:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "discovery" doesn't involve any physical exploration. Someone simply saw the grid on Google Earth, and told The Sun. I've looked it up, too, and there is a grid visible.

I use Google Earth a lot, and there are many imaging artifacts that don't represent actual earthy features. I suspect the good old Sun has again made a lost continent out of a molehill.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 05:41:30
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  05:44:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah it's on the front page too

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  06:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, how many times does that make, now? Seems as though every year or so, some bentwit gets all over-excited about Atlantis and makes extraordinary claims for it. Unfortunately, they never seem to come up with any extraordinary evidence in favor of the claims beyond what we see here. Complicating the matter slightly, there are indeed ruins under the seas. The Black Sea has numerous of them.
Bernie, 38, of Chester, said: “It looks like an aerial map of Milton Keynes. It must be man-made.”
And thus my point is confirmed.

But, everybody has a lot of fun with it, skeptical and delusional alike. Hell, I'm all for it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  06:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Atlantis was more curvy, you know with the famous three concentric circle harbor...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  06:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you questioning Bernie's credibility?

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  06:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another case of a human brain finding a pattern/design where there is none?

Of course I hope it is (or will be found), because it would blow the YECs right out...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  07:06:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hale Atlantis

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  07:06:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Yet another case of a human brain finding a pattern/design where there is none?

Of course I hope it is (or will be found), because it would blow the YECs right out...
There's a "real" pattern there, in the city-grid-like apparent contours of the Atlantic Ocean bottom. Looks just like The Sun shows it. The problem is, it's most likely an error of some kind, with a real city contour maps put in the wrong place, superimposed on the ocean bottom.

But hey, if Bernie says it's legit, who am I to question? (Though Milton Keynes looks more like Plato's description of Atlantis than does the GE mapping. The English town actually has concentric streets.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 08:00:23
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  07:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each city block looks to be five-to-ten miles long.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  07:55:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Undersea giants! Help us, Jebus!

Also, note the straight or smoothly curving lines connecting many of the nearby islands to one another. Weird. And way too big to make sense, unless each is some kind of fault. (And whose fault, eh?)

Is someone at Google just fugging with us?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 08:20:37
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is someone at Google just fugging with us?

That was my first thought

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 02/20/2009 08:03:10
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:03:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That looks pretty good for a ball-park estimation.

I'd be willing to bet next month's VA Comp. check that it's a natural formation. It might even be the sort that moves around with the tides and currents, there this month, unrecognisable or even vanished the next.

Then there's this: I don't know a lot about Google Earth, and even less about Photoshopping, but the picture has a sort of contrived appearance to my eye which, I also admit, is not in the best ocular shape.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems to be another, fainter "grid" to the north-north-east of the first one, closer to Madeira than to the first "feature."

I'm beginning to suspect that these grids are all created as artifacts caused by errors in deep-sea sonar soundings. Makes sense that survey ships would cover their areas in a grid search pattern, which could then make smallish errors appear to be actual grids on the sea floor.

These grids are on the deep ocean floor. (The one mentioned by The Sun is nearly 18,000 feet under the surface!) Oddly enough, I see no such grids on the continental shelves, where (if one ignores everything known about the timeline of human history and prehistory) there could conceivably be inundated Ice Age era cities.

That fits with a model in which minor sounding error increases with depth. Ridges would show most at the edge of each sweep by the survey ship, where it meets the adjoining sweep.

If a back-and forth ("plowed-field") pattern was used once, and later another pattern over the same area but at right angles was used to increase accuracy, the combined data might show just such a grid of ridges or furrows.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 09:29:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  09:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap there's a massive underground city of the West coast of Ireland! The grid lines extend at least 350 miles!

Check out the huge Nazca-style lines Northeast of Scandinavia. Patterns over 500 miles across. More dotted lines can be found off Russia's East coast. And to the Northeast, this time clearly spelling out "OAPIIZ," the Atlantean word for "rube."

Oh, and here's a much smaller doodle in the Southern Ocean.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  09:34:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like we're the first to discover that the utterly bizarre is so commonplace that it's boring.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 09:38:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.