Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  09:45:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Atlantis

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  09:51:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DaveScot whines about the CSI.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  09:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

DaveScot whines about the CSI.
Oh, goodie! Let DaveTard hang himself with this rope, pu-lease!

Also, see reply #5 there, which is pretty much what I was guessing.

Here's the Google Earth Community thread on the subject of the Atlantic "grid."

That exact area was intensively surveyed by the UK as a possible area in which to dump radioactive waste, stable because of its flatness. This is why, according to GEC comments, that area stands out (along with its artifacts) from the low rez imaging of the rest of the Madeira Plain around it.

Now this news item:
Hopes of finding 'lost city' dashed

7 hours ago

Hopes that the lost city of Atlantis had been found on Google Earth have been shattered.

Keen observers had spotted what appeared to be the outline of a vast city - the size of Wales - on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

But the criss-crossing lines, located 600 miles west of the Canary Islands, were explained by Google as sonar data collected as boats mapped the ocean floor.

A spokeswoman said: "It's true that many amazing discoveries have been made in Google Earth including a pristine forest in Mozambique that is home to previously unknown species and the remains of an Ancient Roman villa.

"In this case, however, what users are seeing is an artefact of the data collection process.

"Bathymetric (or sea floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor.

"The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data.

"The fact that there are blank spots between each of these lines is a sign of how little we really know about the world's oceans."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 10:41:50
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:37:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there we have the opportunity to observe the hatching of wooeness in real time.

Please note how the OP (Francisco J. Marcano) asks a legitimate question. How he receive a thoughtful legitimate answer (from Hill) and how this is picked on by a third person (Nazcaface)that starts with his 'theory', as illustrated by his first post directly referencing Atlantis:

Hi Fran.

throughout your opinion!
....read the Critias by Platon.
There are a lot of amazing matches.
Perhaps a sensation !!!

World is different than it appears!
atb

And, when confronted with refutation, simply refuse them and use special pleading and 'gut instinct':
That´s correct, but the "Azores shapes" are absolutely different and localized. I don´t think that this a scanning or sonar mistake is. In my opinion is this either a fake (than brilliant, but why?) or artificially.
More shapes below.

It would be interesting to watch how things unfold, if this woo takes hold, it could be a good reference model...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly, Simon. We are watching the very genesis of a mythology. It's good to take notes.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/20/2009 10:49:24
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  11:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first reply to the OP on the "grid" at GEC accurately predicted where this BS was heading.

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  11:21:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Bernie, 38, of Chester, said: “It looks like an aerial map of Milton Keynes. It must be man-made.”

Or... Milton Keynes was never build by humans... (cue "Twilight zone"-music)

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:19:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Milton Keynes looks nothing like the putative Atlantis.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  15:20:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  22:09:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how close in you can zoom.

I'd like to see two areas.

One is about 200 nm North of the Azores

One is in the Marshall Islands. The cove of Entiwak (sp) Island

The one North of the Azores is the final resting place for the USS Scorpion. The other is the final resting place for the Prinz Eugen.

I'm odd like that.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  22:41:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

The one North of the Azores is the final resting place for the USS Scorpion.
On my monitor, you get get about 20 miles to the inch, or perhaps 1,500 feet per pixel. It'd be nothing more than a dot among dots.

However, Wikipedia claims that the sub is about 400 miles southwest of the Azores, under 3000m of water. There's no difference in Google Maps resolution there, though (still crappy).
The other is the final resting place for the Prinz Eugen.
According to Wikipedia, it rests on the Enubuj reef near Kwajalein Atoll, not Enewetak Atoll. More precisely, Wikipedia offers location 8°45'9.49"N 167°40'59.60"E, which Google Maps resolves down to about two feet per pixel, and the boat is quite easy to see.

By the way, one atoll over, there is a Liberty Ship which was sunk by the Japanese.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  15:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust me, the only thing worth checking in The Sun is page 3.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  18:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the US version of the sun does not even have that...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  20:54:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

The one North of the Azores is the final resting place for the USS Scorpion.
On my monitor, you get get about 20 miles to the inch, or perhaps 1,500 feet per pixel. It'd be nothing more than a dot among dots.

However, Wikipedia claims that the sub is about 400 miles southwest of the Azores, under 3000m of water. There's no difference in Google Maps resolution there, though (still crappy).
The other is the final resting place for the Prinz Eugen.
According to Wikipedia, it rests on the Enubuj reef near Kwajalein Atoll, not Enewetak Atoll. More precisely, Wikipedia offers location 8°45'9.49"N 167°40'59.60"E, which Google Maps resolves down to about two feet per pixel, and the boat is quite easy to see.

By the way, one atoll over, there is a Liberty Ship which was sunk by the Japanese.

Wikipedia disagrees with the Navy's Congressional inquiry and RADM Hyman Rickover's placement of the sub in source documents that I researched in 1987 for a 20 page research paper on Nuclear power in the Navy.

I'll buy the final resting place of the Prinz Eugen.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  12:48:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now Cracked.com is on the story. I especially like this part:
So what to make of these lines then? Well, in the original Telegraph article, the reporter managed to get a quote from an Atlantis expert, but didn't bother talking too an actual oceanographer, or you know, Google. In fact, when someone did eventually get around to calling them, a Google spokesperson squashed the story. They stated,

“Bathymetric (or seafloor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the seafloor. The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data.”

Which sounds relatively convincing, in the same way that it sort of made sense when Geordi LeForge inverted the polarity of the subspace wheezit to get the Enterprise out of another inadvertent-holodeck-sentience related jam. As a web comedian, I'm marginally underqualified to analyze the scientific merits of Google's explanation. What I am qualified to do though is express disappointment that Google didn't try and string this along for awhile, and see how this played out. You know, act all mysterious for a couple months, or at least until a few lunatics drown in the Atlantic in homemade diving rigs. By clarifying this issue so rapidly, Google may have been acting in an ethically and scientifically responsible manner, but they really shit in the cornflakes of a good potential prank on conspiracy nuts.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/24/2009 12:50:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.