New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  09:02:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why anyone gives a shit about Atlantis anyway. If it did exsit and someone found it then it'd just be a big Acropolis under water. Big friggin' deal. Intersting to archeologists and historians but it's not going to prove Jesus walked on water or that aliens are squishing people's wheat fields.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  09:32:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already found Atlantis

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  10:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why anyone gives a shit about Atlantis anyway. If it did exsit and someone found it then it'd just be a big Acropolis under water. Big friggin' deal. Intersting to archeologists and historians but it's not going to prove Jesus walked on water or that aliens are squishing people's wheat fields.

I don't know what you're trying to say here. People have different interests? Many people don't care about Jesus and have even less interest in crop circles. An actual lost city on Earth that could set back the date of the first human civilisation is interesting to many people.

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  13:02:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it really depends of what version of Atlantis you are going for...
If you are going strictly for Plato's version, you'd still have a major classical level civilization existing 10,000 BC, at the time where all other people were dwelling in caves hastily sketching on walls...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  16:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Atlantis bores me.

I read L. Sprague de Camp's big book, Lost Continents way back in the early 1960's. That book was fairly exhaustive in going over all the silly and usually dishonest Atlantis, Lemuria, and Mu lore. "Spriggy" De Camp was a skeptical scholar, as well as a fantasy and science fiction author.

The Atlantis followers of today are sillier yet than those de Camp wrote about. The original story had Plato quoting third-hand sources from Egypt. The story was even then vague, coming from many hundreds of years before Plato, and most likely was just a memory of a shadow of an old myth, assuming Plato didn't make it up for rhetorical purposes. Unless some very, very old documents surface, we wouldn't be able to recognize "Atlantis" even if we found it.

I'm tuning out until then.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/25/2009 16:21:21
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  00:53:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a documentary recently that has me convinced that Santorini is the real Atlantis. The local rocks are of the same colours mentioned by Plato, the island was a prosperous Minoan trading port and it's geography is an island surrounded by a ring, somewhat like the concentric circles Plato described. Also it is a Caldera and was the site of a huge eruption. Out of all the possible locations I've heard attributed to Atlantis, this seems the most likely to give rise to the legend that Plato embellished.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.