GOP Governors to deny Fed aid to their jobless
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  14:07:42  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A number of despicable and especially reactionary Republican governors, including Sarah Palin, are brazenly placing their right-wing ideologies ahead of their own suffering constituents. By refusing to pass on Federal money to extend unemployment insurance benefits for their states' jobless, they are putting their states' working poor where their own big mouths are.
(CNN) -- Though they support some federal action to help their states recover from the recession, several Republican governors said Sunday they plan to turn down a portion of what's offered in the stimulus bill that President Obama signed last week.

"If we were to take the unemployment reform package that they have, it would cause us to raise taxes on employment when the money runs out -- and the money will run out in a couple of years," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday.

The Republican governors of Idaho [Butch Otter], Alaska [Sarah Palin], Texas [Rick Perry], South Carolina [Mark Sanford] and Louisiana [Bobby Jindal] have expressed similar concerns. But one of their colleagues, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, had a message for them Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

When asked about broader complaints from lawmakers such as South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford about the debt that the stimulus package will lead to, Schwarzenegger responded, "I am more than happy to take his money or [that of] any other governor in this country that doesn't want to take this money. I take it because I think California needs it."

[My emphasis, and added names.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/22/2009 16:53:37

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  14:22:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont'cha just love watching them slit their own throats? I hope to be kneed-deep in neoconservative blood before too much longer. A pity it'll only be figurative......

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  14:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Dont'cha just love watching them slit their own throats? I hope to be kneed-deep in neoconservative blood before too much longer. A pity it'll only be figurative......

It might not be figurative. Some desperate unemployed worker in one of their gun-loving red states might just might decide to get some personal "justice."

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  16:31:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good old Arnold. No, I won't vote for him, but as Republicans go, we could have done much worse.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  16:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Good old Arnold. No, I won't vote for him, but as Republicans go, we could have done much worse.
Yup, a middle-of-the-roader (by California standards) on most issues.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  22:52:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He just calls himself Republican, he doesn't match up to their current leadership on most of their positions.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:46:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May not be a popular opinion, but as far as Bobby Jindal is concerned he has a hole in the southern part of his state that he wants and expects the federal government to continue pouring money into. And a lot of other politicians as well.
The federal government has devoted more than $175 billion to the region since Katrina ripped through New Orleans in 2005, and billions remain unspent. It's unclear how much more money will be needed, but nearly everyone agrees the federal government should continue investing heavily in the region's levees and other infrastructure to prevent a repeat of Katrina's devastation.
It's a hole that continues to get deeper surrounded by 2 major bodies of water and a river. It's not a matter of if, but when it floods again. I know a lot of people live in and love this city, but if Bobby wants the federal government to get control over its spending then he should refuse the money for this bailout as well.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  11:15:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send the money to Michigan. We're screwed.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.