Politics
 Is Obama embracing Bush's war policies too much
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hholdings

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  08:09:48  Show Profile  Visit hholdings's Homepage Send hholdings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama promised to withdraw the troops from Iraq in 16 months. Now, it appears that he will make a partial withdrawal in 19 months down to 50,000 troops or a shade less and call that support troops. 50,000 troops-support?, you got to be kidding. All that is a renaming of combat troops to support troops and they will continue to have the same weapons and do what they're doing now. This appears to be Bush policies-hide the real Iraq stuff. After all, Bush signed an agreement with the Iraq Government for troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011. Sounds to me that Obama is backing out of his campaign promise and following the Bush's doctrine with minor modifications.

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  08:49:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like what Paul Street says about Obama:

It matches former Clinton administration official David Rothkopf's early post-election observation that Obama was following the "violin model: you hold power with the left hand and you play the music with the right."

It fits New Yorker writer Larissa MacFarquhar's description (in May of 2007) of Obama as a "deeply conservative" individual who "values continuity and stability for their own sake, sometimes even more than he values change for the good" and Ryan Lizza's portrait (also in The New Yorker, in July of 2008) of Obama as someone who has been "marked" at "every stage of his political career" by "an eagerness to accommodate himself to existing institutions."

If reflects well on the left black political scientist Adolph Reed Jr.'s following description of Obama at the very beginning of the future president's political career in 1996: "a smooth Harvard lawyer with impeccable credentials and vacuous-to-repressive neoliberal politics."

It fits the comment by a leading Washington lobbyist, who told journalist Ken Silverstein in 2006 that big donors would not be helping out Obama if they didn't see him as a "player" for "What's the dollar value of a starry-eyed idealist?'" (Ken Silverstein, "Barack Obama, Inc.: The Birth of a Washington Machine," Harper's, November 2006).

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Grayven

19 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  19:03:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Grayven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meet the new boss........
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  23:44:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't expect instant and total reversal of all Bush's policies.

But Obama is beginning to sound a lot like a run of the mill corpratist democrat.

Oh illusions, why can't you for once turn out to have substance?

....And my mother wonders why I am so cynical.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.