Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:17:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good luck with that music career

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:58:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ig:
That's the line that sucked me in...when you acted as if it was a mistake that you had it posted on April 1st. Usually, when one pulls such a joke, one fesses up once someone confronts them with it. I was waiting for that, and Humbert's post was it.

Michelle told me that I had cheated when I wrote that reply. As though there is an unspoken contract in the April Fools guide book on fair practices. I guess she was right.

Ig:
As for all the stuff you were talking about doing once you quit, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Not really. I do have an idea for a book on how to build really great things without a huge expenditure in tools. Sort of the anti Norm book.

Also, I really am a songwriter, but for all the money I have made doing that, I really do get much the same satisfaction writing essays for this site. More really. Lyric writing is by necessity built on certain restrictions. They are like writing in a box. Coming to prose from lyric writing has been a bit strange for me. I would like to think that the restrictions imposed on me by my years of writing lyrics has in some way helped me in my approach to prose, in that I have learned to make my points as succinctly as possible. I would like to think that. On the other hand, the idea of writing a whole book seems like a monumental task and I don't know how anyone does it. That goes back to songwriting where every word matters for one reason or another, whether it be for phrasing, horizontal and vertical rhymes, and saying what I want to say in a format the requires brevity. And then there is the matter of my particular written voice. I brought that with me. The trick is to not let anyone see the wheels turning. I envy those who's sense of language and structure is so ingrained in them that they don't have to refer back to those things in order to put their thoughts to words on a page. People like Christopher Hitchens, who can write circles around most people even while in a drunken stupor, seem to have that ability. It's what we call talent I guess.

As for being in a band, it has come up a few times in the last ten years, but mostly as a fun thing that wouldn't require my abandoning SFN in any way. Just a bunch of old friends getting together to play some blues.

Ha! So no, I wasn't being sarcastic. But I could have said that in far fewer words.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  16:36:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Ig:
That's the line that sucked me in...when you acted as if it was a mistake that you had it posted on April 1st. Usually, when one pulls such a joke, one fesses up once someone confronts them with it. I was waiting for that, and Humbert's post was it.

Michelle told me that I had cheated when I wrote that reply. As though there is an unspoken contract in the April Fools guide book on fair practices. I guess she was right.

Yes, it had the same effect on me. I went in knowing it was an April fool (because of another post) and read it and thought: 'Well, apparently, it was a mistake and he is really retiring'.

There must be some kind of cultural expectation that one fess up when confronted. Some tacit rule...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:00:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shit, Kil, I'm gone for a few weeks and I see this and I don't even know what to think!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.