Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-peace_12nat.ART.State.Edition1.43b8067.html
Nobel Prize winner...

Eminem in "Mosh"

"I would kill George Bush"
- Kirsten Dunst, if she was Spiderman for a day
http://www.depresident.com/quotes.asp

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-peace_12nat.ART.State.Edition1.43b8067.html
Nobel Prize winner...

Eminem in "Mosh"

In sharp contrast to Coulter, who never apologized for her death threat.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/11/2009 17:27:49
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:40:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Nobel Prize winner...

Eminem in "Mosh"

In sharp contrast to Coulter, who never apologized for her death threat.

Dave asked for examples of people who said something of the sort, even if in jest. (I had another post with more.)

I never saw anything about Beshear apologizing, but I do not really care. In any case, I would not blame any of them if they did not apologize because they were jokes.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Her whole gimmick is making quips and being unapologetic for them.
And surely she's smart enough to know that some people will take her alleged jokes as advice.
1) The "Kill Bush" game
Never heard of it.
Death of a President
Ditto.
3 A quote from The Guardian:

"On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod's law dictates he'll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. - where are you now that we need you?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooker#Screen_Burn
And Brooker apologized for it. But screw him, anyway. I'd never heard of him before.
4) Governor of Kentucky, Steve Bashear:

"I can think of only one Republican who can be a problem-solver," Beshear told the crowd. "And that would be Vice President (Dick) Cheney, if he will just take George on a hunting trip."

http://hoosieraccess.com/blog/2008/05/12/ky-gov-cheney-should-take-bush-hunting/
That would be advocating murder if Cheney had actually murdered his hunting guest. Bashear is advocating that Bush should be shot in the face with birdshot. Might lose an eye.

Besides, who gives a damn about the Governor of Kentucky? Assuming the worst, that he meant it would be a good thing to murder Bush, and he can go screw himself with the rest of the no-names you've presented here.
5) Randi Rhodes from Air America

Comparing Bush and his family to the Corleones of "Godfather" fame, Air America host Randi Rhodes reportedly unleashed this zinger during her Monday night broadcast: "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw. " Rhodes then imitated the sound of a gunshot.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/12/153908.shtml
Hey, a name I've heard before! Not that I've ever heard her before. What a dumbass. Looking her up on Wikipedia, she's the Rush Limbaugh of the extreme left, with cuss words thrown in. Seems she's been fired more times than Howard Stern, but in only three years.
6) Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine

"They [Bush administration] should be shot as any war criminal should be."

http://www.theamericanmind.com/2007/05/01/rage-against-the-machine-singer-wants-bushies-shot/ (it's a conservative link, but I don't think anyone would really doubt people from RAtM saying that)
Who? Oh, the singer for a band that hasn't released anything in six years, and who winds up accidentally getting his own fans arrested at an anti-Republican demonstration.
These are actual pundits/officials or relatively large-scale media, it would be far too easy to find every nut who has suggested or joked about killing Bush.
Then there were also:
Nobel Prize winner...
Who said that she could kill Bush, not that anyone else should. Really scraping the bottom when you have to drag up foreigners, yes?
Eminem in "Mosh"
Looking around the Web, most seem to think that "Mosh" encourages voting against Bush. But I can see how the word "die," to a careful listener, might apply to Bush. But then again, the song isn't calling for his murder. But why am I bothering? I haven't listened to anything that kid has said since... ever. What do I care?
I've seen Spiderman 3, so I can't blame her for being out-of-control angry.

Also:
In any case, I would not blame any of them if they did not apologize because they were jokes.
There's a line one doesn't cross, even with jokes, and that line is pretty much drawn at suggesting that someone whose politics you disagree with should be assassinated.

But either I'm waaaaay out of touch, or these "pundits/officials" are mostly nobodies. Are these the sorts of people the conservatives listen to, to get the pulse of the left? An Irish Peace-Prize winner? Kirsten Dunst? Seriously? These are of the same caliber as a Coulter or a Hannity?

I mean, thank you for adding to my list of liberal-leaning assholes who don't deserve my time or money, but I really was hoping for the likes of Olberman or Maddow. Someone who the Dems in general actually listened to. Eminem? Pull the other one.

Edited to improve meaning.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:43:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave asked for examples of people who said something of the sort, even if in jest. (I had another post with more.)
Dave asked for examples from high-profile liberal pundits. Why are you including rappers, actors, non-politicians?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  22:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beshear is a Democratic state governor, so if he doesn't count, no I probably can't find anyone more high profile than that.

Al Franken is going to be a senator?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVTU-ASWZA

I thought Air America did have a relatively large audience, but I don't really know, I don't listen to these fools. I do see people, particularly on the left, referencing the Guardian quite often.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  23:33:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Beshear is a Democratic state governor, so if he doesn't count, no I probably can't find anyone more high profile than that.
Surely the left has the equivalent of Coulter, Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh, no? Those are the kinds of people we've been talking about, not governors who are only famous in 1/50th of the States. We're talking about people who could potentially influence (with a joke) someone into thinking that murdering a law-abiding citizen is a good idea.

That's where the moral responsibility comes into play. You were defending the conservative pundits as not responsible for any repercussions that their speech might have. I (for one) won't bother doing the same for their liberal counterparts, even if the idiots apologize. If they're going to be that dumb while having such widely public faces, then they all belong in the dustbin of history, ignored so that their moronic jokes quit staining the political landscape and won't get anyone actually hurt.

(The only exception I'll make is with jokes about people who are already dead. Then it's just poor taste, since you can't kill a person twice.)

Finding a bazillion average Joes who say stupid crap is, as you know, easy. But the average Joes are already forgotten and ignored. Few people look to Eminem or Zack de la Rocha for political punditry.
Al Franken is going to be a senator?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVTU-ASWZA
So, now Franken's on my shit-list, too. I never really liked him very much, anyway. Still "better for Minnesota" than lying, cheating, hypocrite Norm Coleman, but I'm not a Minnesotan.
I thought Air America did have a relatively large audience, but I don't really know, I don't listen to these fools.
Air America filed for bankruptcy two-and-a-half years after it started up. It never made more than 3.7 share in any market, and averaged a paltry 1.3 share every quarter of 2008.
I do see people, particularly on the left, referencing the Guardian quite often.
Lefties referencing a lefty British newspaper? Whodathunkit? But what relevance does this have?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  23:26:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant to show that the Guardian has some degree of popularity and influence. Popularity is essentially what Ann Coulter has going for her, not that I think anyone with much sense takes her, or Hannity for that matter, seriously (and I do think there exist Republicans with sense. I've been one before, though I am partyless for now, and hopefully I have at least a little sense).

Guess I'm essentially out of touch with who people listen to, haha. I don't really care enough about bad jokes or Ann Coulter or Al Franken or anyone else listed above to argue this anymore.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  00:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I meant to show that the Guardian has some degree of popularity and influence. Popularity is essentially what Ann Coulter has going for her, not that I think anyone with much sense takes her, or Hannity for that matter, seriously (and I do think there exist Republicans with sense. I've been one before, though I am partyless for now, and hopefully I have at least a little sense).

Guess I'm essentially out of touch with who people listen to, haha. I don't really care enough about bad jokes or Ann Coulter or Al Franken or anyone else listed above to argue this anymore.
I suspect that within a couple of years, you'll have a party to join without major reservations. I'm increasingly in doubt that this will be the Republican Party, as I suspect they will be unable to cut themselves free from their NeoCon cancer.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  08:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless (some) Democrats change their economic views somewhat or Republicans magically become non-religious, I will definitely have reservations...

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  19:36:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Unless (some) Democrats change their economic views somewhat or Republicans magically become non-religious, I will definitely have reservations...
I was thinking of a new party covering the Center/Right spectrum, but without the foreign adventurism and theocracy of the NeoCon's GOP.

Of course, I'm just guessing, but it certainly looks like the NeoCons have a death grip on the GOP. And they are becoming more radical in their navigation, rather than making course corrections after hitting those first two large floating chunks of ice in November 2006 and November 2008. Now they seem intent on ramming as many enemy icebergs as they can.

So I suspect folks like you will eventually walk away in a mass and set up a party which embraces the area between, say, Eisenhower and Goldwater. Perhaps a small-"l" libertarian, states-rights, anti progressive income tax, de facto secular, anti-foreign-entanglements, indivdual rights party.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  20:47:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see that, but I'm not too optimistic for the near future. Ron Paul would fit in pretty well and he did get lots of Internet buzz, and I actually did see signs for him in quite a few places around the country. I'm afraid it was mostly hype by a small number than much real support though.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  22:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would like to see that, but I'm not too optimistic for the near future. Ron Paul would fit in pretty well and he did get lots of Internet buzz, and I actually did see signs for him in quite a few places around the country. I'm afraid it was mostly hype by a small number than much real support though.
I don't know that anyone else gives a shit, but I'm very concerned as a liberal Democrat that a one-party system will completely corrupt my party, and be bad for American democracy. The Democrats need a real opposition, and a strong President need a Loyal Opposition. The GOP is almost completely nonfunctional as either, so I'm hoping the Center/Right will soon put something new together.

I had expected, and still half expect, that first the PaleoCons, libertarians and moderates of the GOP would launch a coordinated fight to oust the NeoCons. But so far, each little uncoordinated attack by the anti-NeoCons has been smashed and the attacker has apologized.

The moderates who remained in the GOP seem to be a pack of cowering simpletons with no strategy, so far. Any real war to oust the NeoCons would be very apparent to even casual outside observers. Nothing like that's happening yet. And I see no leaders yet, for such a struggle.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/13/2009 22:48:05
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  08:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said multiple times, the GOP will not survive as the 'party of Limbaugh'. It's way too far right and too extreme in the long run.
So, either it switch back toward the center or, sooner or later, something will appear to fill in the political gap. This, in turn, will force the GOP further on the right rendering if even less relevant.

The US is a two party system, sure, but political parties came and went in the past. The Whig, for example, of the Constitutional party.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  11:25:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the chances of the Republican party falling apart completely comes in somewhere around zero. They are floundering now and must find a message that will appeal to their base and their center. My guess is it will be the same set of messages as always. While they may appear to be floundering idiots at the moment, I expect that they will get it together.

And don't hold your breath for the Neocons to just go away. Or the religious right. Eight years is time enough for them to get it together. And by that time, they will be armed with whatever failings the Dems may have wrought, which may include an ongoing war in Afghanistan and perceived fiscal irresponsibility, based on our debt. They will also use their usual set of fear mongering tools.

If the American center can be counted on for anything, it's that their allegiances are as changeable as their memories are short. If, at the end of eight years, those people think the economy sucks (people mostly vote their wallets), or if for whatever reasons, they think the country is headed in the wrong direction, the GOP will come roaring back.

My hope is that by then, many issues of concern to me, like health care, a decent social net, and several other changes that only the Dems will make happen, are in place. While I doubt that the presidency will be up for grabs in four years, I worry that government spending, no matter how much we need to do it now, will be an issue, and Republicans will gain seats in congress.

I will enjoy what we have while I can. But hey, I have been on this roller coaster since I started voting. I have been disappointed with the Dems often. I don't really expect that to change much. My hope is that gains in some areas will temper my disappointment and remind me why I usually vote the way I vote.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.