New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

hholdings

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  19:46:21  Show Profile  Visit hholdings's Homepage Send hholdings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to issues regarding the poor, republicans seem to be against them. When the same or similar issues relate to the rich, republicans seem to be for them. Take for example, republicans hate giving money to the poor who do not pay taxes. Nevertheless, they love opening up their pocketbooks to the rich in rewarding them with tax breaks. When money is given to the poor, republicans call it well fare. When they give it to big oil companies, they call it anything but well fare. Just seems odd!

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  20:05:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why Do Republicans Hate The Poor?
Because they don't have any money. Republicans give tax breaks to Big Business because they do have money and because they're willing to give some of it back to the Republicans.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/21/2009 20:06:31
Go to Top of Page

hholdings

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  20:36:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hholdings's Homepage Send hholdings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Because they don't have any money"

I like that answer.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  22:59:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because Republicans are Social Darwinists?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  01:57:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because Republicans hate sin and it is sinful not to have anything worth stealing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/22/2009 01:59:07
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  02:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's the thing. It's not just Republicans, it's our Puritan background. It's their fault they're poor. They don't hate the poor, they hate the sin of poverty. I wouldn't limit it to Republicans. Republicans are more up front about it. At least Republicans today. Hell, compared to Clinton, Nixon was a liberal

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  07:10:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's because we refuse to hang out with them?

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  09:51:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't be ridiculous. Republicans (Progressive Conservatives around these parts - how's that for an oxymoron?) don't hate the poor any more than you hate the animal you slaughter to put on your dinner plate. It's nothing personal; it's just business.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  12:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

Don't be ridiculous. Republicans (Progressive Conservatives around these parts - how's that for an oxymoron?) don't hate the poor any more than you hate the animal you slaughter to put on your dinner plate. It's nothing personal; it's just business.
I see. Sort of like the Mob, or the Vatican.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  14:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by dglas

I see. Sort of like the Mob, or the Vatican.

There's a difference?

I think this can be traced back to the medieval nobility/serf relationship & mind-set. The Republicans regard themselves as nobility, as currently evidenced by our arrogant, corporate thieves and former administration, and the rest of us as peasants to be discarded as soon as our usefulness declines (read: gone broke).

VOTE UNION!!

Edit: The point is made!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/22/2009 14:40:12
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  11:10:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some Republicans hate the poor, but I doubt that the majority of them do. They simply see different solutions to poverty than the left does. The best way for someone to stop being poor is to create jobs, and the best way to create jobs is to let business do it. Giving people handouts on a long term basis doesn't solve the problem – it merely makes them dependent on the government.

I think the left, at least subconsciously, loves having the poor on the dole, because the more they rely on Big Brother for substance, the more likely they are to vote democrat and support more Big Huge Government Programs. It also lets them feel good (and superior) to pretend they care.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  11:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think the left, at least subconsciously, loves having the poor on the dole, because the more they rely on Big Brother for substance, the more likely they are to vote democrat and support more Big Huge Government Programs. It also lets them feel good (and superior) to pretend they care.

I would say that might be true for Democrats, but not necessarily "The Left." There are no Huge Government programs for the poor.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  11:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hittman:
Giving people handouts on a long term basis doesn't solve the problem – it merely makes them dependent on the government.

Define handouts.
Hittman:

Yeah, that's it. The left just wants more voters, huge government programs, and feel good policies that aren't really good for the country because we can pretend that we care.

Hey Hittman. Up yours...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  11:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Democrats and Republicans tend to have huge programs for the wealthy, not the poor. See the Pentagon for one huge program. See the prison program for another.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  13:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

Some Republicans hate the poor, but I doubt that the majority of them do. They simply see different solutions to poverty than the left does. The best way for someone to stop being poor is to create jobs, and the best way to create jobs is to let business do it. Giving people handouts on a long term basis doesn't solve the problem – it merely makes them dependent on the government.

[My emphasis.]
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Since when have these businesses created jobs? Layoffs are what I see them creating lately. I see fifty-billion dollar Ponzi schemes. Hungry and desperate people, I see. Food processing plants closing because they deliberately poisoned people for short-term profit. Businesses and the GOP have done nothing but create the present financial meltdown.

When are fiscal conservatives going to wake up to the fact that we are at the cusp of another Great Depression? And to at least realize that in an emergency, strong government spending programs are exactly what are needed both to stimulate the economy, and to give hope to a growing jobless population that might otherwise turn violently upon the wealthy?

Will the GOP and businessman think differently if they see guillotines being constructed?

Sorry, those were rhetorical questions. Fiscal conservatives will probably prefer to keep their ideological illusions intact instead of keeping their heads intact.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/24/2009 13:45:43
Go to Top of Page

WarfRat

49 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  16:14:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send WarfRat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will the GOP and businessman think differently if they see guillotines being constructed? -

What makes you think that the Democrats won't be in the trumble as well?

The Democrats don't care about the poor either. They only care about being re-elected.

"I believe...that one benefits the workers...so much more by forcing through reforms which alleviate and strengthen their position, than by saying that only a revolution can help them."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.