Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Moonscape News
 What's its name? Where is it? How did it form?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  05:41:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little problem, for those of you who may enjoy such things.

1. What is the given name of the landform in the image below?

2. Where is it?

3. What caused it?

Click for extra-large version

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/05/2009 07:37:44

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  15:00:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that where I left that thing???

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  17:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a road with a turn-around at the lower right. Maybe a ridgeback trail on the upper left. Image from
Google Dirt. I guess possibly a calder/volcano peak. Dunno...some kind of optical delusion?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  17:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree on the roads, but it's too irregular to be a strip mine. Maybe a volcanic vent of some sort, but frankly, I dunno. Gotta think about it a little more.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until you posted this, Mooner, I'd forgotten all about my old "What's this thing" challenges. I only did four of them.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  00:01:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Until you posted this, Mooner, I'd forgotten all about my old "What's this thing" challenges. I only did four of them.
That's probably what gave me the idea. Nice stuff, Dave W.! You should do more of 'em.

Hint #1 regarding the above image: It's in the USA.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  01:27:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

That's probably what gave me the idea. Nice stuff, Dave W.! You should do more of 'em.

It's the crater and dome of Mt. Redoubt before it's latest series of eruptions, yes?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  03:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It's the crater and dome of Mt. Redoubt before it's latest series of eruptions, yes?

Sorry, it is not Mt. Redoubt.

Hint #2: It's not of volcanic origin.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  03:35:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry, it is not Mt. Redoubt.

Hint #2: It's not of volcanic origin.

All righty then, its a fossil of a hamamelidaceous sp. of flower, probably from New Jersy or thereabouts.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  04:39:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All righty then, its a fossil of a hamamelidaceous sp. of flower, probably from New Jersy or thereabouts.

It'd have to be a gawd-awful big one.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  05:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It'd have to be a gawd-awful big one.

Hmm. I'd thought the petal impressions were pretty distinct.

Oh well; onward and downward.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  05:29:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a fossil turd from the Biblical Leviathan from the Book of Job.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  07:12:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An impact crater?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  09:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meteor Crater, Arizona?

What caused it ... fast moving space junk.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  10:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prairie Chapel Ranch at Crawford, TX?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  11:31:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, but it's gonna make an excellent Dungeons and Dragons map! ;)

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.