Japanese car that runs on water
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  13:11:42  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm.....where do I sign up for one?

Fill up your camel back for some spare energy. Electrolysis, of course, powers the thing. I'd like to read more on this little neighborhood car...specs, range, time to percolate some power.

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  13:18:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This site just popped up of another invention while looking around for more info on the above story.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  13:27:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The car runs by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen, which takes more energy than you get back by using the hydrogen and oxygen as fuel. The guy who uses radio waves to split water is similarly running his welding machine at a net energy loss. The Japanese car company doesn't really say what powers it, other than to say an "energy generator" takes over and performs the hydrolysis. So what powers the energy generator? A battery? They don't say.

Too good to be true? Yes, definitely. The car runs cleaner than burning gasoline, I'm sure, but the electricity needed to create the reaction has to come from somewhere. If the electricity comes from solar or wind farms, it's hypothetically a clean technology top-to-bottom. But if the electricity comes from coal-fired plants, not so much.

At the very least, saying the car "runs on water" is a half-truth. It can't run on just water. That's impossible.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  19:53:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly so, H.H.

The first link simply would not work as portrayed. Either the manufacturer is deliberately lying, or the news folks screwed up another tech story, take your pick. The thing must run on hydrogen from electrolysis, if it indeed runs ay all. You certainly don't just pour in water and off you so, with the electrolysis going on as you drive. (Also, if they indeed electrolyze sea water, they'll release nasty chlorine gas.)

The second story seems clearly to be about a car running (partly, it's a "hybrid") on hydrogen created by electrolysis.

Carrying around a tank of water to electrolyze might seem a compact and safe way to pack hydrogen, but it's also at a low energy state. Carrying water just add burden. The key is how one stores the hydrogen gas, however it might be generated.

If neither of these vehicles have improved hydrogen storage, there is no story here at all.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/09/2009 19:55:47
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  21:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Carrying around a tank of water to electrolyze might seem a compact and safe way to pack hydrogen, but it's also at a low energy state. Carrying water just add burden.
That's a good point I didn't even consider. If you need a battery to turn the water into hydrogen, the question becomes "why not just run the car off the battery?" Especially since, as you point out, adding water only makes the car heavier.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/09/2009 21:15:39
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  04:17:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Fill up your camel back for some spare energy. Electrolysis, of course, powers the thing. I'd like to read more on this little neighborhood car...specs, range, time to percolate some power.

The video says nothing about electrolysis. "car that runs on nothing but water".
That is pure bullshit. It's a hoax.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  04:26:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Carrying around a tank of water to electrolyze might seem a compact and safe way to pack hydrogen, but it's also at a low energy state. Carrying water just add burden.
That's a good point I didn't even consider. If you need a battery to turn the water into hydrogen, the question becomes "why not just run the car off the battery?" Especially since, as you point out, adding water only makes the car heavier.
And then you have the massive energy loss of the electrolysis, that wastes about half the energy.

Damn, why can't news agencies hire me as a technical consultant/researcher?

You know, thess kinds of stories only runs on Swedish News networks as April Fools gag.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  04:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Randy

The video says nothing about electrolysis. "car that runs on nothing but water".
That is pure bullshit. It's a hoax.

Now bear with me. A car with its own elevated water tower above it could operate on the pressure of that water while it lasts. Simple, inelegant.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  04:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not very encouraging, is it?

On a related matter, one day the city streets could become silent mini interstates.

This thing is a 2-seater, reputed to get 35 mph and has a 30 & change mile range on a battery charge. Looks like fun.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  10:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now bear with me. A car with its own elevated water tower above it could operate on the pressure of that water while it lasts. Simple, inelegant.

You know... (and this pains me to tell you)
During an energy conference with a number of politicians in Sweden, with invited guest professors in different energy-related sciences, one of the representatives from the Left Party (formerly communist) asked if you couldn't put some kind of wind-collecting device on the roof of cars to harness the wind-force passing by the car on the freeway, kind if like a wind mill, and putting that energy to good use powering the car.
It's on YouTube, but since it's in Swedish it'd be gibberish to you. However, the giggle you get from the professors, they're almost biting their tongues out trying not to laugh out loud, when they try in the simplest of terms to tell him that it's a tad bit more complex than the idea he just proposed.
Even a few of his colleagues in the political profession seemed embarrassed on his behalf.

There's simply no such thing as a free lunch.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  11:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

You know... (and this pains me to tell you)
During an energy conference with a number of politicians in Sweden, with invited guest professors in different energy-related sciences, one of the representatives from the Left Party (formerly communist) asked if you couldn't put some kind of wind-collecting device on the roof of cars to harness the wind-force passing by the car on the freeway, kind if like a wind mill, and putting that energy to good use powering the car.
It's on YouTube, but since it's in Swedish it'd be gibberish to you. However, the giggle you get from the professors, they're almost biting their tongues out trying not to laugh out loud, when they try in the simplest of terms to tell him that it's a tad bit more complex than the idea he just proposed.
Even a few of his colleagues in the political profession seemed embarrassed on his behalf.

There's simply no such thing as a free lunch.
I won't laugh, I swear I won't. When I was a kid, I used to "design" all sorts of wonders as crude, smudgy sketches in paper and pencil.

Submarine jets, nuclear rocket ships, deep space ships propelled by the light pressure of incandescent lamps. A jet engine with ducted exhaust and a saddle so you could ride it.

I already understood the no free lunch business (my maternal grandfather was the developer of a failed perpetual motion machine, and so my father had taken time to explain why such things couldn't work).

But I thought it might be possible to build a ship that would be run with a screw driven via a windmill. Also a car powered the same way. But I didn't think to make it powered by its own slip-stream.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/10/2009 11:57:00
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  12:48:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's certainly being worked on. This specimen is electric with both a solar charging system and a wind-driven generator.

Not too shabby, unless it's a cloudy day and you're stuck in slow traffic.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  13:40:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It's certainly being worked on. This specimen is electric with both a solar charging system and a wind-driven generator.

Not too shabby, unless it's a cloudy day and you're stuck in slow traffic.

That's got to be about the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.