Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Another steaming barge-load of sewage.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  13:43:23  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You really don't need to open this link and read it if you don't want to. It requires a strong stomach and tight gag reflex because it is from and about one of, if not the most shameless, irritating and unrepentant lying intestinal parasites the country has ever been afflicted with. Now that statement covers a lot of territory, I know, what with Bush and all, but I speak of the current unofficial-but-actual head of the Republican Party; Rush "Sludge-Pump" Limbaugh.

I really don't know how the guy does it; read any transcript, if you've the gizzard for it, and he comes off as all but incoherent. And people listen! And believe! Some people, anyway, and that says something about their own grips on reality. Anyhow, for those hardy souls who are still with me, the link is above. Keep your whiskey close and your bucket closer; they might turn out to be your best friends.
Hour 1: Rush says Obama is looking for "a teenage single mother who's gay, is a lesbian, who's dirt poor, African-American, and disabled" to replace Souter
Published Fri, May 1, 2009 2:09pm ET

This hour of the Limbaugh Wire brought to you by Obama's use of "profiling" to fill Justice Souter's seat on the bench

By Greg Lewis and Karl Frisch

Here, he is working up to cheap-shotting Sonia Sotomayor, and gets nonsensically deeper into it a little way along.

The clown doesn't even have much entertainment value any more.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  12:01:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if you translate to plain English what Rush is saying is that Obama will choose a Supreme Court justice that is just as liberal as Bush's nominations were conservative.

Is that really worth working yourself into a froth over?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  12:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

So if you translate to plain English what Rush is saying is that Obama will choose a Supreme Court justice that is just as liberal as Bush's nominations were conservative.

I never work myself into a froth; merely tell it the way I see it.

But I got to hand it to Rush: as propaganda-drooling demogogues go, he shows real talent.

There is as yet no nomination for Souter's seat on the bench. Apart from reading her biography (linked above), I don't know much about Sotomayor. She seems to be well enough qualified.

Would you prefer some mindless dogsbody, on the right or the left?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  13:43:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I never work myself into a froth; merely tell it the way I see it.

But I got to hand it to Rush: as propaganda-drooling demogogues go, he shows real talent.

Shows talent? You make him sound like he's new to his business. :)

Originally posted by filthy
There is as yet no nomination for Souter's seat on the bench. Apart from reading her biography (linked above), I don't know much about Sotomayor. She seems to be well enough qualified.

Would you prefer some mindless dogsbody, on the right or the left?

I think it would be amazingly wonderful if decisions like that were non-partisan, but since that's not the world we live in I fully expect Obama's nominations will swing somewhat to the left. If he decides to live up to his own rhetoric of bipartisanship, then he may well pick nominations that are not too far to the left, and by that criteria Sotomayer would probably be a good choice. Which would be fine with me.

So why do you think Rush is working up to cheap-shotting her? As far as I know, she's not teenaged, black, gay, lesbian (yes, redundant), dirt poor, African-American or disabled. It seems to me if Obama did nominate her, it would prove Rush wrong.
Edited by - Mycroft on 05/03/2009 13:43:38
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  16:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Rush cares!

It's all about lies and propaganda!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I believe Rush is talking in plain English, and the word liberal never left his lips. Nor do I see how you can add up any of the things he said and arrive at the conclusion that he means liberal. Let's see if we can parse this. "a teenage single mother..." The South has the highest instances of teenage pregnancy, and the South is highly conservative. "...who's gay, is a lesbian..." A gay lesbian who finds herself pregnant? So she must live in an environment that led her to suppress her homosexuality and pursue a heterosexual relationship. Again, sounds like more like the conservative South to me. "...who's dirt poor, African-American, and disabled." I see nothing here that would rule out a southern conservative. The poor in the south often vote against their own interests.

So, tell me, Mycroft, what in Rush's list of adjectives would lead anyone to conclude he's talking about a "liberal?"

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/03/2009 18:40:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  20:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, buried in Rush's racist, sexist, bigoted tirade, he also said that. But ignoring all that huge heap of propagandistic, ethnocentric, fear mongering stuff makes you look ridiculous. I suppose the burden is upon others to prove Limbaugh a Nazi-style demagogue? I submit Limbaugh just proved this once again.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  23:17:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Yeah, buried in Rush's racist, sexist, bigoted tirade, he also said that. But ignoring all that huge heap of propagandistic, ethnocentric, fear mongering stuff makes you look ridiculous.

You think that's racist, sexist and bigoted? Rush is talking about a quote from Obama about the kind of Supreme Court Justice he would choose. Obama said:

"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/07/17/274143.aspx

Rush takes the verbiage directly from Obama, he didn't make it up himself.

Certainly it's an absurd stretch for Rush to go from that quote to a claim that Obama is going to create a checklist like that, but that sort of political hyperbole is common and the left is just as guilty as the right.

Originally posted by HalfMooner
I suppose the burden is upon others to prove Limbaugh a Nazi-style demagogue? I submit Limbaugh just proved this once again.

Rush if a textbook definition of demagogue, but claiming he's a Nazi-style demagogue is an absurd claim and should be embarrassing to anyone who made it.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  01:44:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You think that's racist, sexist and bigoted?
Absolutely. Didn't you even read what Limbaugh said?:
"We need a teenage single mother who's gay, is a lesbian, who's dirt poor, African-American, and disabled. Or, if we can't find that person, we need a bigger Supreme Court. So, you're going to find -- I'm sure we can find in any blue city a poor, minority teenage mother who can barely get around -- disabled, lesbian, had the kid with surrogacy or artificial insemination. I'm sure we can find them. You know they're all over the place. We can find one. Whether they're qualified to be on the court doesn't matter, because their qualifications -- Obama just said what they are."

Rush is talking about a quote from Obama about the kind of Supreme Court Justice he would choose. Obama said:
"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."I think this is a very important statement by Obama. He's essentially saying that a person's experiences and empathy are important to being a good judge. That the letter of the law is not the whole of the law. This has been an area of dispute since foprever. Even the ancient Chinese wrangled over this, with the Confucians supporting legal judgments decided by human factors as well as the letter of the law, opposed by the Legalists for whom the strict wording of law alone mattered.
Nonsense. See Rush's hateful raving above.
Certainly it's an absurd stretch for Rush to go from that quote to a claim that Obama is going to create a checklist like that, but that sort of political hyperbole is common and the left is just as guilty as the right.
Yup, just take absurdity, add racism and sexism, boil and stir. Yum! Smells like Nazi stew![quote]Originally posted by HalfMooner
I suppose the burden is upon others to prove Limbaugh a Nazi-style demagogue? I submit Limbaugh just proved this once again.

Rush if a textbook definition of demagogue, but claiming he's a Nazi-style demagogue is an absurd claim and should be embarrassing to anyone who made it.
Politics ain't science, and there's no way to definitely support a political proposition as there might be in a discussion of a biological hypothesis. Like you, all I can do is call 'em as I see 'em. I see Limbaugh as using the Nazi Big Lie technique of constantly repeating grand falsehoods loaded with fear-mongering in the hope that they will be believed. He appeals to the gut, not the mind, and that is the essence of Nazi-style propaganda.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  02:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes he did. He misrepresented Obama by saying that Obama was actually looking for that teenage mom. But he didn't. He was looking for a judge with the empathy to understand that teenage mom.
These are two very different things: Limbaugh said that Obama would try to place a judicially undereducated, inexperienced person in the Supreme Court instead of a good judge. Which is a blatant lie.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  02:58:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a major part of what a demagogue does; taking a statement, or part of one, and spin it. Or even use it verbatim as a sarcasm. Limbaugh knows his audience and plays, even panders, to it shamelessly. He uses a voice of pseudo-authority that strikes a chord in that part of their minds that deny reason -- he'd make a hell of a preacher if he could put forth a complete sentence with a little less hysteria.

Me, I'd like to see him become the actual head of the Republican Party. He's enhanced the rot already within it and is dragging it deeper into the hole that it created for itself, not without help from various demagogues that it embraced, or at least tolerated with a wink & a smile. It will have to dig out without their help, and might become a better organization for it. Or not; I dunno.

Anyhow, the long and short of it is that Limbaugh has proven himself to be a bloated bag of flatulence with a festering anus at either end. His fellow-travelers, from Beck to Savage to Dobson and Tony Perkins, et al., are more of the same. They contribute nothing to the well-being of this country. They sow mendacity and reap stupidity, and thereby enhance their own wealth and reputation. For now....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  23:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Yes he did. He misrepresented Obama by saying that Obama was actually looking for that teenage mom. But he didn't. He was looking for a judge with the empathy to understand that teenage mom.
These are two very different things: Limbaugh said that Obama would try to place a judicially undereducated, inexperienced person in the Supreme Court instead of a good judge. Which is a blatant lie.

Rush was not literally saying Obama was looking for a teenage mom as a Supreme Court nomination, obviously that would be absurd. Rush was using sarcasm to make fun of Obama.

Yes, of course any reasonable person understood Obama to mean a person empathetic to unwed teenage mothers, but the same reasonable person would understand that Obama talking in the context of a speech to supporters of Planned Parenthood and in the wake of a recent Supreme Court decision unfavorable to abortion rights, that Obama was saying he would choose a liberal nominee who is biased towards pro-choice opinions. Someone who is anti-abortion choice probably wouldn't like that, and might find Rush's characterization on the mark.

Rush is an entertainer.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  00:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rush was not literally saying Obama was looking for a teenage mom as a Supreme Court nomination, obviously that would be absurd. Rush was using sarcasm to make fun of Obama.

Rush said: "We can find one. Whether they're qualified to be on the court doesn't matter, because their qualifications -- Obama just said what they are."
(Bolding mine)
How many of Rish Limbaugh's listeners (fans) are smart enough to understand sarcasm or irony anyway?

Yes, of course any reasonable person understood Obama to mean a person empathetic to unwed teenage mothers, but the same reasonable person would understand that Obama talking in the context of a speech to supporters of Planned Parenthood and in the wake of a recent Supreme Court decision unfavorable to abortion rights, that Obama was saying he would choose a liberal nominee who is biased towards pro-choice opinions. Someone who is anti-abortion choice probably wouldn't like that, and might find Rush's characterization on the mark.

Again, that pre-supposes that Rush's fans are reasonable. History tells us differently.

Rush is an entertainer.
I'm not laughing. In fact, Limpbaugh ended up on my hatelist long ago, and qualified the the short list when he made fun of Michael J Fox's parkinson.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/05/2009 00:43:24
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  01:36:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of Rish Limbaugh's listeners (fans) are smart enough to understand sarcasm or irony anyway?
That is just bias because you don't like Limbaugh, all of his fans are not idiots. To characterize so many people as unable to understand simple sarcasm is entirely unjustified and prejudicial.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 05/05/2009 01:37:51
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  01:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges." (Obama)

Maybe, just maybe, could Rush have some valid criticism? I certainly would say Obama is pandering to his audience (Planned Parenthood), but that is to be expected. If these are actually the criteria Obama is using most strongly (I seriously doubt they are), it begs the question of whether he wants judges to do what they consider "right" in each case based on their backgrounds and personal preferences or objectively interpret law created by Congress, the elected body tasked with doing that. I am unsure why those criteria are so important if the judge is selected to do the latter.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 05/05/2009 01:52:31
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  05:09:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

That is just bias because you don't like Limbaugh, all of his fans are not idiots. To characterize so many people as unable to understand simple sarcasm is entirely unjustified and prejudicial.

And a quarter of the American population voted for Bush a second term. If that is not an indication of the number of morons, idiots, and generally dislikable people in your country, I don't know what is.
Am I prejudiced? Hardly. Cynic? Cynicism comes from learning from history... I guess I am.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.