Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  04:17:22  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denyse over there at UD is running a contest where you can win free stuff with a brief essay.
Earn free stuff!: The Uncommon Descent Contest
O'Leary
Why just be a commenter when you can also earn free stuff?

Recently, I asked for and received 25 prizes, as follows:

10 DVDs of Expelled,courtesy the producers.

10 DVDs of Privileged Planet, courtesy the producers.

5 subscriptions, including back issues, to the excellent Christian/theistic science and culture mag, Salvo, complete with recent back issues, courtesy the editor-in-chief.

I will pose a question based on a recent news story, and ask for responses within two weeks. I will publish the winning response in a subsequent post.

Rules:

1. No more than 400 words in response. I will select the response I find most interesting and print it as a post. Be succinct.

2. New ideas impress me, even if I disagree. Rants and myths don't. Re abuse: Uncommon Descent is not competing for Troll Hole of the Year, so …

3. I will not correspond with anyone about the award. My In Tray is already a natural disaster. If you don't win, try again. And who knows, if this contest takes off, I may be offered more prizes.

The first question will come shortly.
And here is the question and the neat, free stuff a clever keyboard jockey might win:
Contest Question 1: Does the multiverse help science make sense - or simply destroy science?
O'Leary
This is Contest Question 1 for Earn Free Stuff: Does the multiverse help science make sense - or simply destroy science?

To help you decide, here's a classic pop science article by Anil Ananthaswamy of New Scientist, fronting the multiverse:

Today's measurements show the universe to be flat, but the uncertainty in those measurements still leaves room for space-time to be slightly curved - either like a saddle (negatively curved) or like a sphere (positively curved). “If we originated from a tunnelling event from an ancestor vacuum, the bet would be that the universe is negatively curved,” says Susskind. “If it turns out to be positively curved, we'd be very confused. That would be a setback for these ideas, no question about it.”

Until any such setback the smart money will remain with the multiverse and string theory. “It has the best chance of anything we know to be right,” Weinberg says of string theory. “There's an old joke about a gambler playing a game of poker,” he adds. “His friend says, ‘Don't you know this game is crooked, and you are bound to lose?' The gambler says, ‘Yes, but what can I do, it's the only game in town.' We don't know if we are bound to lose, but even if we suspect we may, it is the only game in town.”

Question: For a free copy of Expelled, is this a way to do science?
Me, I'd go for it but alas, I've been ruthessly and wrongfully banned (twice) and while I consider that something of a badge of honor, there no seems to be a downside. Ah well....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  07:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes; asking random guys on the internet makes so much more sense that taking a university class on the subject...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  07:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Yes; asking random guys on the internet makes so much more sense that taking a university class on the subject...
There are only two possible answers to her question:
Question: For a free copy of Expelled, is this a way to do science?
Yes or No, with only one of them correct. Even Stephen Hawking couldn't elaborate on it in a mere 400 words. Thus, the question is silly and wide open for humorous replies, tastefully done, of course. Anybody wanna join me & Kil in the IDiot Penalty box?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  08:20:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funniest part is that the vast majority of people who try to provide an answer feel the need to bring God into it.

All Science So Far!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  08:47:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denise O'Leary launches a thinking and writing contest (skills for which which she is personally so very well known), asking for an unknowable answer to a nonsense question, and offering booby prizes to "winners." Hilarity ensues.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  10:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Anybody wanna join me & Kil in the IDiot Penalty box?

We are in good company.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  14:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And we have a WEINER ( shouting, dancing in the streets and mighty explosions of illegal pyrotechnics).

Some fellow going by the handle of "John A Designer," which comes as small surprise, has taken the gold. He gets the magnificent free copy of the extraordinary Expelled, which, I am told, makes a splendid trap-shooting target.

Well done, John!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  05:25:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hell, I don't think John really knows.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  14:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have another wiener -- how exciting is that?!
The winner of the # 2 Question: “Why does Earth's unique situation for science discovery threaten many?” is Bruce David. For a free copy of The Privileged Planet DVD, Bruce David needs to send a snail address to me at oleary@sympatico.ca. He will not be added to a mailing list. I do not have a mailing list.
And they say that there is no god......

Anyhow, excellent effort, Bruce! Here is the winning screed:
To vastly over simplify the actual state of affairs, there are two kinds of people in the world: those whose highest value is truth, and those for whom being right is more important than anything else. <!–more–>

Imagine that you have grown up into a smug atheist, secure in your beliefs, looking down your nose with benign condescension on those benighted souls who, being either ignorant, stupid, insane, or (dare I say it) wicked, persist in believing in that ancient superstition, the existence of a Creator. Now imagine that suddenly, without warning, science itself has begun to turn on you–cosmology has determined that the Universe had a beginning, the fundamental constants of physics and cosmology are turning out to have been incredibly fine tuned to support the existence of life, the stunning complexity and sophistication of the cell beggars any naturalistic explanation of its origin, and the neo-Darwinian synthesis is being called into question by unanswerable attacks on its explanatory power.

In such a situation, if you are one of those for whom being right is your highest value, one who has identified yourself as a member of the elite who know the obvious truth of things, all this evidence for the existence of a Creator will not just be a threat to your beliefs, it will be a threat to what you imagine is the very core of your being.

And now Guillermo Gonzalez adds fuel to this blaze by providing powerful evidence that the earth itself, the home of and support for human life, is in a highly improbable position perfect for the pursuit of scientific inquiry. Is it any wonder that this is a threat?

The great thing about Antony Flew is that his life has been devoted to a genuine search for truth, and he has always respected those with whom he disagreed. Thus, he had no emotional stake in the outcome of his inquiries, and when the evidence became overwhelming for the existence of a Creator, he happily changed his mind. He is one of my heroes.
I do hope that all that hand-waving didn't sprain his wrists.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  21:23:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Anthropic Principle isn't an argument that proves the existence of a god.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  21:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I do hope that all that hand-waving didn't sprain his wrists.
It's ALL SCIENCE SO FAR! I'm telling ya!

Won't anyone think of the children?!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  10:23:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will select the response I find most interesting and print it as a post.

So based on the winning essay #2, it seems that for O'Leary "most interesting" really just means "present tired stereotypes of atheists as smug jerks" along with "mention a 'Creator'". Pretty lame. But then again, so are the "prizes"!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  03:21:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had pretty much given this nonsense up as a bad job, only dropping by UD now & again to see what's happening. Denyse has handed out several glorious prizes in the interim and followed those honors with other questions. The one I saw this morning is a doozy and I got to share it with you, curse me if you must.
Uncommon Descent Contest Question 5: Darwinian fairy tales: Why middle-aged men have shiny scalps
O'Leary
Here at Robert Murphy's “Free Advice” blog, a post called - advisedly - Just-So Darwinism:

“Art and hairlessness co-evolved because they fed off each other. The girl whose skin was least hairy could paint it, tattoo it, decorate it and clothe it more adventurously than could her furry sisters. So she got more and better men. And in consequence her children - even the males, though to a lesser degree - lost their hair too. We had become the naked ape.”

OK, you got that? Remember, the whole point of this story is to explain why older men with thinning hair are actually attractive to young women (despite the myths that Rogaine and others would have you believe, and despite all those male models with full heads of hair). So to do that, the story starts out with why evolution made women lose their (body) hair, which then caused their male offspring to lose their (body and scalp?) hair, even though the original motivation (sexual selection a la the peacock) never caused female baldness to become prevalent.

Hat tip: Darwinian Tales (by “Vox Day”), one of whose friends kindly wrote to say, “Knowing of your intense interest in the “big bazooms” theory [of evolution], I think you'll enjoy this.”

Yes, it is true. I collect stupid theories (like the “sexy baldy” and the “big bazooms”) theory of evolution, the way some people collect ceramic busts of Elvis Presley, not because they admire them but because they are intrigued by the fact that anyone, anywhere would actually admire them. More:
An odd but pretty much typical ID preamble and actually worth a full read. Avoid sipping liquids while you read it. And now the Question:
What is the down side for serious Darwinists to just cutting the “evolutionary psychology” psychodrama loose, and focusing on what real science can say about evolution?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  04:44:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... those whose highest value is truth, and those for whom being right is more important than anything else.
Holy shit! I know Bruce David is sincere, but does he ever consider serious self reflection. It's not a sin or at least it shouldn't be.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  07:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The one I saw this morning is a doozy and I got to share it with you, curse me if you must.
My comment is awaiting moderation:
Considering that the original article is a guest commentary (not a scholarly piece) and written by someone who isn't an evolutionary biologist, the conclusion seems clear to me: Terence Kealey, a bald man, is making fun of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's recent hair transplant. It is precisely a "just-so story" because it is nothing more than a joke. A gentle teasing. Dr. Kealey is doing nothing more than laying out a ridiculous (literally!) justification for telling Berlusconi that the hair transplant was a mistake.

But the question is still interesting:
What is the down side for serious Darwinists to just cutting the “evolutionary psychology” psychodrama loose, and focusing on what real science can say about evolution?
There is none. In fact, many (if not most) evolutionary biologists don't seem to take evolutionary psychology very seriously, in part because even if they could avoid the ethical problems surrounding direct experiments on evopsych hypotheses, those hypotheses would still be exceedingly difficult to test well. Confounding factors abound. So it seems to me that the unwritten premise of the question - that "serious Darwinists" have (in general) jumped on board the evolutionary psychology bandwagon - is false. Instead, I think we could count, on just a few hands, the number of evolutionary biologists who take evopsych seriously. And Dr. Kealey is, rather obviously, not among their number.
Let's see if I win!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  07:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is none. In fact, many (if not most) evolutionary biologists don't seem to take evolutionary psychology very seriously, in part because even if they could avoid the ethical problems surrounding direct experiments on evopsych hypotheses, those hypotheses would still be exceedingly difficult to test well. Confounding factors abound. So it seems to me that the unwritten premise of the question - that "serious Darwinists" have (in general) jumped on board the evolutionary psychology bandwagon - is false. Instead, I think we could count, on just a few hands, the number of evolutionary biologists who take evopsych seriously. And Dr. Kealey is, rather obviously, not among their number.
Let's see if I win!
Excellent response. I didn't bother to research it simply because, well, to what end? I couldn't do anything with it if I did.

Heh, it has been my observation that serious "Darwinists" focus on little other than what real science can say about evolution, and serious IDCreationists are pretty much unfocused all together.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.