A new hominid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  15:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Hominid 12 Million Years Old Found In Spain, With 'Modern' Facial Features

ScienceDaily (June 2, 2009):
Researchers have discovered a fossilized face and jaw from a previously unknown hominoid primate genus in Spain dating to the Middle Miocene era, roughly 12 million years ago. Nicknamed "Lluc," the male bears a strikingly "modern" facial appearance with a flat face, rather than a protruding one. The finding sheds important new light on the evolutionary development of hominids, including orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas and humans…

Snip.
Anoiapithecus displays a very modern facial morphology, with a muzzle prognathism (i.e., protrusion of the jaw) so reduced that, within the family Hominidae, scientists can only find comparable values within the genus Homo, whereas the remaining great apes are notoriously more prognathic (i.e., having jaws that project forward markedly). The extraordinary resemblance does not indicate that Anoiapithecus has any relationship with Homo, the researchers note. However, the similarity might be a case of evolutionary convergence, where two species evolving separately share common features.

Lluc's discovery may also hold an important clue to the geographical origin of the hominid family. Some scientists have suspected that a group of primitive hominoids known as kenyapithecines (recorded from the Middle Miocene of Africa and Eurasia) might have been the ancestral group that all hominids came from. The detailed morphological study of the cranial remains of Lluc showed that, together with the modern anatomical features of hominids (e.g., nasal aperture wide at the base, high zygomatic rood, deep palate), it displays a set of primitive features, such as thick dental enamel, teeth with globulous cusps, very robust mandible and very procumbent premaxilla. These features characterize a group of primitive hominoids from the African Middle Miocene, known as afropithecids…

What fun, eh?

Hat tip to Swoopy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  16:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What fun, indeed. Looks like a whole "new" branch of hominids. Of course, it's only logical to assume that there are many, if not most, hominid species which have not yet been found.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  19:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately some of the racist crowd have already seized on this to state that it's evidence that Europe is the real cradle of humanity, and by implication that Europeans are superior. I haven't heard this from anything but dingbats on web posts, but it shows how it can be twisted.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  19:45:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Unfortunately some of the racist crowd have already seized on this to state that it's evidence that Europe is the real cradle of humanity, and by implication that Europeans are superior. I haven't heard this from anything but dingbats on web posts, but it shows how it can be twisted.
Man is that stupid. This new species is so old, so pre-human, matters like the present human "races" are totally irrelevant.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  03:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The artist's impression looks a little like a juvenile Ken Ham might have....

Mercy sakes, but the pieces just keep falling into place, don't they? Of course & alas, the puzzle will never be completed.

I find it unlikely that this creature was actually in our lineage, being yet another twig straying from a branch of the ancestral tree. But it is a great find nevertheless and should reap vast sneers of nervous contempt from the usual suspects. I might also add that it only represents a single species, but if there is one hominid species, 12 mya, why not more, hmm?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:20:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  16:50:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About time!

The usual suspects were a little slow on this one, and they really didn't do much with it. I confess myself disappointed.
Portions of a primate's fossilized face and jaw were recovered near Barcelona in 2004. The discovery of the bones was recently hailed as “an enormous step forward in the understanding of the origin of our own family, the Hominidae.”1 But the fine print reveals that evolutionists are just walking in circles, since the tiny extinct primate's unique features do not support an evolutionary interpretation.

In their study of the fossil, named Anoiapithecus brevirostris, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers admitted that “the systematic position of primitive (or archaic) putative hominoids is far from clear.” In other words, it is difficult for them to place this new find into an evolutionary tree, since the order in which monkey forms are related to each other “has been subject to different interpretations,”2 with various researchers favoring widely different opinions.
I don't know if I'd call this guy an "Hominid", although I did in an earlier post. I noticed that the article used "Hominiod." I think that "Primate" fits it nicely.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  18:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
I don't know if I'd call this guy an "Hominid", although I did in an earlier post. I noticed that the article used "Hominiod." I think that "Primate" fits it nicely.

Primate is the Order. This one probably makes it to the Superfamily, Hominoidea.

Order: Primates
Suborder: Haplorrhini
Infraorder: Simiiformes
Parvorder: Catarrhini
Superfamily: Hominoidea < Here.
Family: Hominidae < Great apes and us.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  20:09:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

About time!

The usual suspects were a little slow on this one, and they really didn't do much with it. I confess myself disappointed.
Portions of a primate's fossilized face and jaw were recovered near Barcelona in 2004. The discovery of the bones was recently hailed as “an enormous step forward in the understanding of the origin of our own family, the Hominidae.”1 But the fine print reveals that evolutionists are just walking in circles, since the tiny extinct primate's unique features do not support an evolutionary interpretation.

In their study of the fossil, named Anoiapithecus brevirostris, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers admitted that “the systematic position of primitive (or archaic) putative hominoids is far from clear.” In other words, it is difficult for them to place this new find into an evolutionary tree, since the order in which monkey forms are related to each other “has been subject to different interpretations,”2 with various researchers favoring widely different opinions.

Therefore Genesis 1 (or 2) is true.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.