Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  11:45:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm in the military so there is less immediate effect on my family; however, we are "rightsizing" too.

Up until now, the primary methods of military officer attrition were:
  • Resignation, an officer chooses to leave the military
  • Failure to Promote, if you cannot promote with your peer group, you are not worth the military's investment on you and you are kicked out
  • Medical, should be self-explanatory
  • Discipline, also should be clear
Now there is an annual Performance Review Board designed to ensure the sub-par officers are not retained. Fortunately, I am not one of them.

My investment accounts, however, lost more than half their value. If that doesn't go back up in the next few years my retirement plans will have to change a bit.

Also, my wife worked in the home building industry. She was a planner for multi-family home developments, which is not a very prosperous industry at the moment.

Fortunately for us, we got pregnant a few months before she got laid off, and now she's a mom.

We both know that we're some of the lucky ones....
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  14:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I´ve been living in Argentina since 2006, so this "crisis" is laughable for a country who changed 4 presidents in less than 2 weeks.

Right here we have an economic Crisis every 3 years. The rest of the time the economy is just "bad".

If it did affect us living in Argentina, it was due to the speculation of big business people.

So, the last crisis did not affect me in the sense that I was already affected!!! Hehehe! There had to be something "positive" about living in the third world!

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  18:47:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
North Carolina unemployment rate 11.1 - 1 year ago 5.9
South Carolina unemployment rate 12.1 - 1 year ago 6.1

Those are some big scary numbers.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  21:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This chart pretty much says it all.

http://www.bls.gov/web/lauhsthl.htm
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  08:51:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, not that much.

It does not give the numbers for 2008 or 2007... Although, one can notice that several states were at the highest unemployed rate EVER at some point in 2009. Which is bad.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  09:07:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my other half and I both lost our overtime. This reduces our monthly income by about 25%. http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12530684 Just some of the issues that RTD is currently facing.

The Tabor Act is really hitting all public services hard. Any surplus must be returned to taxpayers by the state. http://www.kghllaw.com/pdfs/TABOR-backers-dont-care.pdf Well now you know how this came about. Section 8 housing is no longer accepting applications in CO. Four years ago, there was a two year waiting list for Section 8 housing. But with the reduction in revenue and no ability to meet the federal funding requirements for these services, we are loosing our ability to provide many social services. It's mostly left up to the individual counties to attempt to maintain these essential services.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  16:17:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting laid off for most of July after getting pay cuts and after my wife had her hours reduced.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  19:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got out of my mortgage before things burst because I saw the impending end of a failing business and knew I would need to pay some of the bills for that personally. So I was sitting on several years of cash when the thing blew up, not too bad. Sadly it took me 16 months to find full time employment, so now I probably don't have enough left for a down payment on a new home. Still at least I am not bankrupt.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  19:31:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just learned that there's a debate to cut the salaries of the UCLA staff-- everyone but students, basically-- by 4-8%. We'll see if that happens at the end of July, but I'd certainly take a hit if that happens.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  20:58:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trish! /wave ltns.

My 401k is basically junked at this point. If I were close to retirement I'd be in trouble. Sadly I have at least 25 more years of employement before I can retire.... but on a positive note that should be adequate time for an economic recovery.

Actually, if my plans go according to plan I will find some job that I never want to retire from anyway. My current job is recession proof to a point (healthcare), so I don't have to worry about being unemployed at the moment. I don't intend to be in this job forever though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  19:28:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for me not only did my retirement go in the crapper, I got divorced as well.

My retirement is now at about 25% of what it was a year ago.

My company is in healthcare and we just shed a bunch of jobs. Mine was not one of them.

For a truely recession proof job, you have to work for the government.

Since I don't, I am happy I have a job. I'll be talking to my boss next week about performance evaluations. Since they keep asking me to take on more responsibilities, I'm pretty sure it'll be a good one. Plus, I don't think they'll be looking at cutting my job in the near future.

There is the question of raises. I'm expecting squat on that, so if I get one I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Fortunately, I have 25 years till retirement. There is time to get something out of the 403(b) and 401(k) plans I have. Oh, and the Ponzi scheme tells me that I can expect some cash. (The Ponzi scheme in question is Social Security which I expect will be unavailable when I retire)

Other than that, I'm paying for rent and paying for a house I don't live in anymore. It's for sale.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  13:03:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, I was downsized from my teaching job at the end of last school year, and have been unable to find a new position -- so it looks like I'll be doing something else -- or not doing anything at all.

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  14:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Economy still sucks. When the mill hands are back to work and start putting down payments on new pickups, then we'll know it's getting well.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/08/2009 14:24:59
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  16:26:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zandermann

well, I was downsized from my teaching job at the end of last school year, and have been unable to find a new position -- so it looks like I'll be doing something else -- or not doing anything at all.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Not only for your sake, but for the sake of education as well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  13:11:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zandermann

Here is hoping it gets better soon enough.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.