Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  14:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks, HalfMooner and Simon!

What irks me most is that no school around here seems to want someone with more than 25 years' experience in the classroom.

So now I'm looking at entry-level positions....

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  15:46:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zandermann

What irks me most is that no school around here seems to want someone with more than 25 years' experience in the classroom.
Experience is a dangerous thing, I suppose.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  10:17:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm late coming in to this poll, but I answered "other" for a variety of reasons. I did initially lose some income because one of my teaching jobs experienced severe cuts to its programming. In Philadelphia in general services such as libraries and pools have been cut and the crime rate this summer is pretty high.

That said, the stimulus package really helped me out in my career. It funded a summer program for "at risk" youth in Philadelphia which provided a 6 week part time job for the teens and a decent paying instructor position for me. In the programs, the teens had to learn useful skills which will hopefully help them find secure jobs and careers in their future. There was a culinary arts program, an automotive program, photo-journalism, etc. I taught painting and my group of kids did a community-based public mural. I took them on field trips and exposed them to various types of careers in the arts, made them do writing and research and interview people in the community for input, and finally taught them techniques in painting with acrylics. Each of my students created their own mandala painting (so they were able to personally express themselves while practicing their newly-learned techniques) and then they had to work as a team of artists commissioned to do a public mural. It was pretty awesome.

Anyway, I wasn't hurt by the whole housing crisis 'cause my hubby and I knew the housing bubble was going to burst for a long time and we were sure to purchase a house with a locked in mortgage rate. We're currently selling our house and buying a new one, taking advantage of low interest rates. We are happily breaking even on our current house since we live in a neighborhood where the house prices are relatively stable and because the housing bubble mostly passed over Philadelphia and the prices of homes really hasn't fluctuated here as much as in other places.

My husband's work experienced a freeze on raises and hirings, but he works in research and the stimulus provided new opportunities for future funding which his bosses are eagerly trying to take advantage of. And it seems he's going to now get his cost of living raise for this year.

So, yeah, I guess the downturn hasn't really hurt me. I'm very lucky and I know it.

Edited to add: I should probably mention that I do have a few friends who were laid off and who have been searching for work for months with no luck.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/22/2009 10:20:34
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  11:12:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welp. This is it. I have no work and the phone is not ringing. I have no idea how I will pay my rent for next month. This sucks!!!

I just went for 20 straight years of always having work. But people are obviously putting off having someone do the kind of work that I do until they feel confident that the economy is better. AAAhhhhhh!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  15:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

How serious are you? Seriously?

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  20:39:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Kil. Hopefully things will pick up.

You think someone would think things are picking up with the Dow over 10,000...either that or people have done a reality check on their finances and have found they are deeper in the hole then they thought. Not good news for you if that is the case.

Hopefully something comes in soon for you.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  22:18:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Welp. This is it. I have no work and the phone is not ringing. I have no idea how I will pay my rent for next month. This sucks!!!

I just went for 20 straight years of always having work. But people are obviously putting off having someone do the kind of work that I do until they feel confident that the economy is better. AAAhhhhhh!!!
Wanna make me a bookshelf or two?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  01:59:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I hope things work out for you, Kil. I'd light candles and pray like a Catholic if I thought there was even a minuscule chance it would help you.

Having grown up with a father whose carpentry work was the sole support for our family, I recall some serious times, but at least we usually had unemployment checks during the construction-sector busts of the 1950's, unlike yourself as an independent contractor. I've been worried for you for some time.

Though you are not asking, I sincerely wish I could help you. But I'm barely making it myself, since I've had to drastically reduce my retirement annuity from my IRAs after my investments went badly sour in the recession. (In point of fact, I'm planning to move to the Philippines next year to stretch my Social Security pittance into something approaching a better life.)

Hang in there, my friend.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  02:07:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by Kil

Wanna make me a bookshelf or two?

We can talk about it if your serious.

And thanks everyone.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  06:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear your position is so tough, kil. I wish there is something I could say that would be real help. We both/all know wishing and praying won't do shit. Let me spit out a few thoughts. Maybe one might help or spark an idea that will.
Do you have anything you might sell on ebay? It's possible you have some stuff you'd love to cash out if you could. I know it's not that difficult and it's not so crazy, if it get's you cash. You know? There has to be resources you have that your not thinking about.
I know this guy here in the VI, that put an ad on craigs list for someone to work for him here. This guy flew out and after 3 weeks told me he feels like he hit the lotto. He's from Florida, said that he got to a point where he took his chain saw and drove around looking for tree's that needed trimming and would knock on the door. I not suggesting you do that but that's being creative and it got cash.
YOU might check out putting some ads on craig's list for carpentry work , residential carpentry work, etc.. The more categories you post in the greater your penetration. Could you contact people you have done work for in the past that just might have something they need done? Only you can judge what might work.
Check with your local catholic church! Maybe you could fix that hole in their confessional? Be creative. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 11/26/2009 06:24:54
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  15:22:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things are going well for me in Corvallis, Oregon. I got a holiday season bonus and business is doing well, especially with increased student enrollment at OSU university and our Beavers football team has been doing well and has a chance to go to the Rose Bowl.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  11:39:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh, the Beavers lost to the Ducks, so the Ducks are going to the Rose Bowl.

Qvaaaaaaaaaack!
Go to Top of Page

Woohoo

2 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  09:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woohoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took early retirement just as the economy was all starting to go haywire a couple of years ago. I have no money now but my quality of life is so much better. There are so many things you don't have to spend money on when you don't work - clothes, junk food, socializing with people you can't stand, commuting, etc etc . Now I have time to look after myself properly and do things I enjoy. And nobody to tell me what to do!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  18:35:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever since Dave started this poll back in June, 2009; I have been watching it with interest. Many have responded for the better, some for the worse and a lot sideways.

For those that share my interest and haven't updated their response for a few months, how about a comment on your current situation?

How are things for you now, financially, as compared to six months ago at the beginning of June, 2009?

Personally, I'm about 20% of the way back up a ladder to which I had pretty much dropped to the bottom rung by last spring. By the time the market took the big bump in late 2008, I was clobbered really hard. I have been largely on investment income for the past twenty years and I have had to make some huge (for me) adjustments. I see two to three more years before real recovery.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  19:01:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Fortunately, not much has changed for me. As a contractor my hours are slightly down for the year, but that is about to change. In order for me to continue working at the company I will have to become full time. So now instead of just taking time off unpaid I'll have to think about time off hours accrued. Yep, big deal. If that's my biggest concern to date, then I really haven't anything to complain about.
In reply to what bngbuck asked. On the job front my anxiety is a bit higher, my hours have increased a bit since becoming full time (full time+), and I am in a class for additional training on my own dime. Financially, even though it looked like we were circling the drain into a bottomless shit hole, my wife and I put as much money as we were comfortable into a handful of large cap stocks in January, February, and March. We have done Ok with that so financially and fortunately we are still Ok.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.