General Discussion
 Total Recall source material to be re-murdered
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  05:30:04  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8080966.stm

Good news is now PKD can flip back over to the correct side in his grave.

Still as a movie alone I like TR, don't want to see it remade.

More bad news is they are planning on remaking Alien and several hundred other movies which were great the first time.

For those who are wondering about the book version of TR see the spoiler text below...

SPOILERS(WE Can Remember It For You Wholesale)SPOILERS

There are no scenes which take place on Mars, he doesnt fight the old company(he surrenders to them right away) and there are no ancient alien oxygen factories or mutant hookers.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  07:38:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heres some other re-makes in the works, try not to vomit.

Last Starfighter
Evil Dead
Conan
Logan's Run
Death Wish
Farenheit 451
Hellraiser
Clash of the Titans(I have high hopes for this)
Akira
The Birds
Westworld
The Warriors
Escape from New york
Meatballs
Porky's
Short Circut
Red Sonya
Dirty Dozen
Footloose
Dune(Crosses fingers)
The Thing
and many moore....

From Dinofgeek.com, not sure how old the list is...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:08:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BigPapaSmurf
More bad news is they are planning on remaking Alien and several hundred other movies which were great the first time.

Huh. So they can't come up with new material? Or does the old familiar sell more tickets, I wonder? A remake of Alien, which I thought was an almost perfect movie, seems downright crazy to me. They will have to top H.R. Giger's artistic designs, which set the mood, and a simple but great horror story as told by Ridley Scott. I can't say as much for the sequels, but Alien is classic.

Upon further investigation it looks like Ridley Scott will be producing a prequel, which just might work. But I doubt it.

How many times will they remake Invasion of the Body Snatchers and not get it right? That should be a warning.

Edited to add:

The Birds? Okay, lets see them top Hitchcock.

The Thing was already remade into a really cool movie by John Carpenter.

And so on...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:31:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hollywood's urge to do remakes is probably stronger than ever in these recessionary times. Even in a better economy, remakes have for years been considered more bankable than risky, unknown, original material. Not only remakes as such, but simply copying the plots of successful movies with blatant ripoffs.

What a disgusting state of affairs. It will probably require an outright rebellion of movie-goers to reverse this uncreative trend.

Most of us could name half a dozen or more fine novels which would make better movies that even the original films that are now being remade. A few successes in filming such novels -- or wholly new screenplays -- might reduce this cowardly stampede by the powers that be in Hollywood.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  16:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for an original I'd like to see 'Shadows Fall', Oberon, Jim Morrison and forgotten cartoon caracters against the Army of God(RRs)

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  01:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Most of us could name half a dozen or more fine novels which would make better movies that even the original films that are now being remade.

Indeed.
Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot" is good for several feature films if Hollywood had dared to try, for all the novels in it. And "The Other Robots" too. If not full length movies, then at least a 13 episodes mini-series.

Speaking of remakes...
There's a Swedish series of full length TV-movies about a policeman called "Wallander". A successful series of more than a dozen episodes, actually. They are now being remade in English, with Kenneth Branagh. The setting is still Sweden. In fact, everything is Swedish except for the actors speaking English.
If you want to get a glimpse of Swedish culture in a Swedish setting but still be able to understand what they are saying, watch it.
The English remake is just as good as original, even though there are slight differences in the script. It comes with my warmest recommendations.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  03:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good. I really respect Branagh's acting, ever since I saw his Henry V. "Wallander" started Sunday May 9 on Masterpiece Mystery on PBS in the US. I'm looking for any upcoming episodes.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/04/2009 03:52:21
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  05:39:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I really respect Branagh's acting, ever since I saw his Henry V.
I'm still waiting for Henry I through Henry IV. Is this like a George Lucas thing?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  06:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I really respect Branagh's acting, ever since I saw his Henry V.
I'm still waiting for Henry I through Henry IV. Is this like a George Lucas thing?
Yeah, right up to Henry IX.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  06:15:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished watching "One Step Behind," episode 3 of "Wallander" online. It was absolutely riveting. Thanks for the suggestion, Mab.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/04/2009 06:21:44
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  07:32:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few more to cry about...

Slaughterhouse-five
Poltergeist
Rock and Roll Highschool
Robocop
Red Dawn
Highlander
Rosemary's Baby
Metropolis
Big Chill
Taps
Straw Dogs
Scanners
The Boys from Brazil
20,000 Leagues
Revenge of the Nerds
My Bodyguard
The Toy
Alice In Wonderland
The Fly
The Blob

Edit: Breaking News
David Carradine found dead in Tai hotel room.
RIP

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 06/04/2009 07:35:48
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  11:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few movies on the above list that I can understand as remakes. But why remake "The Big Chill"?

"Alice" might be good if it's treated with respect. Maybe someone will get it right?

"20,000 Leagues" might be good, if they stick with the Jules Vern story line.

No point in remaking "The Blob" or "The Fly".

What they need to do is come to me and ask me what I think they should remake...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  15:57:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about 20,000 Leagues. The filmmakers could play around with the look and feel of this first "cyberpunk" novel, having great fun with the genre, while keeping to the original storyline.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.