This guy claims to know some crucial information
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  21:07:20  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He says that more attacks are planned.

Would the US use torture in home-grown cases, of citizens or permanent residents on US soil, to obtain information which might be crucial to prevent further terrorist attacks?

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply

DtheB

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  21:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DtheB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zebra

Would the US use torture in home-grown cases, of citizens or permanent residents on US soil, to obtain information which might be crucial to prevent further terrorist attacks?

I would not be surprised if they did, but I hope they don't.

The misuse of a tool does not negate its existence.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  21:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I must be getting cynical in my dotage. I rather suspect that an English-speaking white man would be far less likely to be tortured by the US government than a Farsi-speaking or Arabic-speaking brown-skinned man (whether the latter is on actual US soil, or Cuban soil contractually considered to be US soil for legal, but not for moral, purposes).

Edited for minor spacing issues, etc, and to say, Welcome DtheB!

Edited by - Zebra on 06/07/2009 21:48:00
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  23:30:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zebra

Torture would be an inherently offensive, and completely unreliable way to get to the bottom of any murder conspiracies. But there are plenty of other ways to be tough, and to defeat this terror.

What we need, in my opinion, are: First the kind of Federal protection for abortion clinics, their patients and their staff that has been promised by the Obama Administration.

Secondly, we need a full-court press, using both paid informants and infiltrators, to get to the bottom of what may be conspiracies among radical anti-abortionists to murder, terrorize, and destroy. Then, based upon this intelligence, we need prosecutions. This needs to be a campaign as serious as the FBI's effort in the 1960's which smashed the KKK's terrorism in Mississippi.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  03:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Torture would be an inherently offensive, and completely unreliable way to get to the bottom of any murder conspiracies. But there are plenty of other ways to be tough, and to defeat this terror.
I think Zebra's point is that if Roeder had been brown-skinned and from another country, Dick Cheney would be frothing at the bit to waterboard him, given that Roeder has basically said that he knows where the "ticking time-bomb" is.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  07:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Brayton is thinking along the same lines:
Gee, do you think that if Bush was in office this guy would be waterboarded to get that important information out of him? I mean, this is far closer to the "ticking time bomb" scenario than anything involving Abu Zubaydah or Khalid Sheikh Muhammed...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  09:07:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by HalfMooner

I think Zebra's point is that if Roeder had been brown-skinned and from another country, Dick Cheney would be frothing at the bit to waterboard him, given that Roeder has basically said that he knows where the "ticking time-bomb" is.
I realized the irony. And I still thought it best to answer literally, as the same response applies to all terrorists. You see, I'd personally be tempted to waterboard Tiller's alleged assassin, so repeating the mantra is important, at least for me.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  19:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Ed Brayton is thinking along the same lines:
Gee, do you think that if Bush was in office this guy would be waterboarded to get that important information out of him? I mean, this is far closer to the "ticking time bomb" scenario than anything involving Abu Zubaydah or Khalid Sheikh Muhammed...

Good comments after EB's post. (Not that I'm implying there aren't good comments here.) I particularly like this exchange:

kehrsam: This provides the perfect opportunity to prove the link between Osama and the Iranian nuclear program. At six waterboard sessions per day, I imagine we could get a confession within a month or two.

eric: If you're thinking about what ridiculous confessions he can make, why not go whole hog and skip directly to the logical paradox. Get him to confess under torture that the torture does not produce accurate intelligence.

And what modern irony would be complete without a Facebook group?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.