Burn baby, burn!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  02:26:37  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some outfit calling themselves the Christian Civil Liberties Union has taken it upon themselves to to get a good, old-fashioned book burning going. Sounds fun....

"Ok we got everything?"

"Gasoline -- check
Matches -- well go get some! Jesus Christ, do I gotta do it all?!"

"Good, now somebody run down to the library and check out Baby Be-Bop, and we'll get this here barbecue a'goin'."
The Milwaukee branch of the Christian Civil Liberties Union (CCLU) has filed a legal claim that says a book that is available in the West Bend Community Memorial Library is offensive.

Robert C. Braun of West Allis, Joseph Kogelmann of Milwaukee, Robert Brough of West Bend and the Rev. Cleveland Eden of Milwaukee, representing the Milwaukeebased group, filed the claim with the city of West Bend clerk's office. Named in the claim are the city of West Bend, Mayor Kristine Deiss, the West Bend Library Board and Library Director Michael Tyree. The group is seeking $30,000 per plaintiff, Deiss' resignation and a racist book be removed and publicly burned or destroyed as a deterrent to repeating the offensive conduct, the claim states.
Having never heard of the CCLU, I ran a half-assed (lost interest early) google on them and found little. If anyone else wants to go fundie-chasing, feel free.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  04:25:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh so this is their problem with the book Baby By-Bop.

"Dirk had known it since he could remember"-known, that is, that he is gay.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  05:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More details, including this:
I thought the terms of the suit were so ludicrous, I also did a Google search trying to learn more about this "Christian Civil Liberties Union" to see if it was real or not. By playing with search terms, I was able to find a few things. In the past, they sued the West Allis library for refusing a Creation Science education event, they attempted to block the purchase of a home for a released sex offender, and sued Ebay on behalf of a South Carolina woman for $100 million (Ebay refused to do business with her because she lacked a credit card or checking account, so the CCLU said that it was discrimination against a Christian). I don't think that last one got anywhere.
Reading that blog will paint a nice picture for you of the author of the blog that filthy linked to, one Ginny Maziarka, who seems to have made a hobby of screeching "won't anyone think of the children?!?!" (not in so few words, of course), and doing everything she can think of to protect West Bend, Wisconsin, from teh gay.

Edited to correct the state.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  06:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They need to get with the lady who is suing because Crunch Berries are not real berries. I am hereby accusing the CCLU of witchcraft.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  06:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

More details, including this:
I thought the terms of the suit were so ludicrous, I also did a Google search trying to learn more about this "Christian Civil Liberties Union" to see if it was real or not. By playing with search terms, I was able to find a few things. In the past, they sued the West Allis library for refusing a Creation Science education event, they attempted to block the purchase of a home for a released sex offender, and sued Ebay on behalf of a South Carolina woman for $100 million (Ebay refused to do business with her because she lacked a credit card or checking account, so the CCLU said that it was discrimination against a Christian). I don't think that last one got anywhere.
Reading that blog will paint a nice picture for you of the author of the blog that filthy linked to, one Ginny Maziarka, who seems to have made a hobby of screeching "won't anyone think of the children?!?!" (not in so few words, of course), and doing everything she can think of to protect West Bend Iowa from teh gay.
Nicely done, Dave. It goes a way toward confirming a suspicion that the "CCLU" is a name of convience, brought forth for the for the occasion. It might have been used elsewhere for the same nonsense but if so, I haven't found it.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  06:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

They need to get with the lady who is suing because Crunch Berries are not real berries. I am hereby accusing the CCLU of witchcraft.
Well, they could have been named Dingle Berries; then she might have a real, no-shit case.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  10:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh my gosh. She is a total Fruit Loop!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  11:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! The Kellog Company has never insinuated that there was any "Fruit" in our product. "Froot", on the other hand we have in spades.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  18:33:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

HEY!!!!

I want NOTHING to do with those clowns.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.