Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  16:12:37  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James Von Brunn, a well-known 88-year-old anti-Semite and racist today attacked the US Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, killing one guard, before being critically wounded in the ensuing gunfight.

James Von Brunn

(Tip of the hat to PZ Myers and others.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/10/2009 16:17:03

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  16:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suicide by cop, I bet. What a dick!!! I hope the bastard lives.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  16:53:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The election of Barack Obama seems to have totally deranged wingnuts of every variety. I, too, hope Von Brunn lives to stand trial, is convicted, and spends the last painful years of his worthless life in prison.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  21:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really interesting piece about media bias.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  03:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is my understanding that the rifle this knuckle-dragger used was a .22.

I too, hope he celebrates his 100th birthday in Supermax.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  06:40:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Douchbag supreme Limbaugh is all over the radio claiming that this psycho is a LIBERAL. That his ideology stems from the left wing of politics.

Glen Beck, and some others, apparently agree.
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/glenn-beck-and-his-fellow-wingnuts-p

Sick bastards.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  11:59:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Douchbag supreme Limbaugh is all over the radio claiming that this psycho is a LIBERAL. That his ideology stems from the left wing of politics.

Glen Beck, and some others, apparently agree.
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/glenn-beck-and-his-fellow-wingnuts-p

Sick bastards.

I don't know how sick they are, but they are liars.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  15:27:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are sick because they believe what they are selling is true. This level of delusion is an illness.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  17:00:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The signal to noise ratio from the broadcasting wingnuts has become almost impenetrable. Seriously, Beck is merely babbling, plus throwing out an occasional wingnut catch-phrase. It's like a liitle child who has been caught red-handed with his lies, and can only blubber in humiliation, hoping that just one more lie will fix everything. (I recall being that child.)

When everything fell apart for the infamous Joe McCarthy as his utter lies were completely exposed, McCarthy also blubbered incoherently (also click here for part 2) in much the same way. In all these people, you can see the FAIL in their eyes, hear it in their voices.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/12/2009 17:11:29
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  07:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do we need to lay blame to a particular philosophy when this happens. The guy was just friggin nuts! He was a Jew hater, white supremesist and holocaust denier who hated this country. I don't thinks these idea's fit into liberal or conservative ideals.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  07:28:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Why do we need to lay blame to a particular philosophy when this happens. The guy was just friggin nuts! He was a Jew hater, white supremesist and holocaust denier who hated this country. I don't thinks these idea's fit into liberal or conservative ideals.
No, but Von Bronn and his ideas do fit into the extreme right in this country.

We do have a neo-Nazi movement, and we also have a Christian Identity movement. From all reports, Von Brunn had been active in both. Being "just" nuts doesn't explain why he tried to kidnap the head of the Fed in the '80's, or why he more recently chose to attack the Holocaust museum in particular. If he had been "just" nuts, he mught have tried to kidnap Mickey Mouse from Disneyland, and later shot a guard at Graceland.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  09:15:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

No, but Von Bronn and his ideas do fit into the extreme right in this country.

We do have a neo-Nazi movement, and we also have a Christian Identity movement. From all reports, Von Brunn had been active in both. Being "just" nuts doesn't explain why he tried to kidnap the head of the Fed in the '80's, or why he more recently chose to attack the Holocaust museum in particular. If he had been "just" nuts, he mught have tried to kidnap Mickey Mouse from Disneyland, and later shot a guard at Graceland.

So what's your solution to prevent this in the future?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  09:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was nt 'just nuts'; he was a member of the right wing of the Christian uber-conservatives that happened to be nuttier than the others.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  10:08:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Since you ask, Robb, I'll give my two-bit's worth:

It'd be a good start if the wingnut screaming heads of TV and radio, and the Religious Right preachers, stopped cranking up their paranoia, racism, reaction, xenophobia, sectarianism, and general lies.

Since that's unlikely to happen soon, good people from all walks of life and many creeds ought to speak out against these hate-mongers and the evils they promote. Better yet, decent folks need to behave like respectful, civilized neighbors to the fellows. You know, behave with what was once called "Christian charity."

It's easy to forget that those two words were once commonly spoken with a straight face (even if not very complete accuracy). These days, in the rare cases when "Christian" and "charity," are uttered closely together, they sound more oxymoronic every day.

That's thanks to associations in the public's mind made by the abuses of every wackaloon theocrat or money-grubbing, history revising Christian Nationalist, megachurch-owning, Prosperity Gospel Bible-thumper who hollers about the imminent Rapture to keep people sending in their tithes instead of planning for humanity's future. And those guys sound crazy enough that the average ignoramus can hardly tell them from the outright Nazis and Christian Identity creeps.

Too much Rule of Gold, too little Golden Rule. Religion is looking more and more like evil incarnate to many people. (That's why freethinking is growing like gangbusters.)

Who's killing Christianity in the US? The greedy, power-hungry, bigoted, and/or batshit-crazy people who most loudly claim to be authentic Christians.

Yes, I agree with what I suspect you're thinking: "Real" Christians aren't like that. But hardly anyone ever hears or sees that kind anymore. I think they are an endangered species.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  10:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Since you ask, Robb, I'll give my two-bit's worth:

It'd be a good start if the wingnut screaming heads of TV and radio, and the Religious Right preachers, stopped cranking up their paranoia, racism, reaction, xenophobia, sectarianism, and general lies.

Since that's unlikely to happen soon, good people from all walks of life and many creeds ought to speak out against these hate-mongers and the evils they promote. Better yet, decent folks need to behave like respectful, civilized neighbors to the fellows. You know, behave with what was once called "Christian charity."

It's easy to forget that those two words were once commonly spoken with a straight face (even if not very complete accuracy). These days, in the rare cases when "Christian" and "charity," are uttered closely together, they sound more oxymoronic every day.

That's thanks to associations in the public's mind made by the abuses of every wackaloon theocrat or money-grubbing, history revising Christian Nationalist, megachurch-owning, Prosperity Gospel Bible-thumper who hollers about the imminent Rapture to keep people sending in their tithes instead of planning for humanity's future. And those guys sound crazy enough that the average ignoramus can hardly tell them from the outright Nazis and Christian Identity creeps.

Too much Rule of Gold, too little Golden Rule. Religion is looking more and more like evil incarnate to many people. (That's why freethinking is growing like gangbusters.)

Who's killing Christianity in the US? The greedy, power-hungry, bigoted, and/or batshit-crazy people who most loudly claim to be authentic Christians.

Yes, I agree with what I suspect you're thinking: "Real" Christians aren't like that. But hardly anyone ever hears or sees that kind anymore. I think they are an endangered species.

Nice anti Christian rant but why blame Christians when Von Brunn was anti-Christian. You sound alot like Von Brunn. I think the Gov should be watching you for your idea's as well.

Your answer was also just I wish Christians would act better. Not a solution.

By the way, I do agree with most of your post about Christians in America. I just think your bigotry is misplaced with this story.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  12:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nice anti Christian rant but why blame Christians when Von Brunn was anti-Christian.
And your evidence for that is...?
You sound alot like Von Brunn. I think the Gov should be watching you for your idea's as well.
Very funny. If you'd compared me to Von Bronn to my face...
Your answer was also just I wish Christians would act better. Not a solution.
Apparently it isn't a solution. There doesn't seem much hope that they'll try it. That rejection of morality will be the self-inflicted end of them, I suspect.
By the way, I do agree with most of your post about Christians in America. I just think your bigotry is misplaced with this story.
I hope you'll act upon the things we agree upon, then. It's a strange situation (on the surface, at least) when atheists have to appeal to Christians to behave morally and to confront blatantly immoral people who call themselves Christians.

My bigotry is something I've been trying to reduce since I first demonstrated with CORE in 1963 when I was 17. Within the last few years I have added gender bigotry to the prejudices I've recognized in myself and am actively trying to defeat. I don't claim to have succeeded, but at least I struggle to identify and defeat my bigotry.

Bigotry is based upon prejudice. Prejudice is "pre-judging" and also implies the inability to change one's preconceptions in the light of experience and evidence. My thoughts about people who call themselves Christians have changed over the years, generally becoming more bitter as I witness their actions, and hear their voices. I appreciate it very much anytime I encounter a Christian who actually behaves in a decent way.

Unfortunately, the last such I recall actually meeting were Martin Luther King, Jr. in 1964, and Cecil Williams (of San Francisco's Glide Memorial Church) in 1970. I accept that some Christians are genuinely decent people, though I do not agree with their magical delusions.

I don't consider my general dislike for Christianity to be bigoted nor prejudicial, but a result of lifelong, open-minded observation of reality.

All the loud Christians one hears these days seem to draw from the New Testament only the name Jesus and the concept of Hell. They mainly quote Genesis and Leviticus.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds.