Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  23:26:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great way to slip in the shower...and hurt your back...oh, gods! I see it now! The chiropractors are behind this evil scheme!

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  23:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I think this is one of those case where the solution is worse than the original problem.
That was my wife's response to the idea of setting some geckos loose in our cockroach-infested condo many years ago.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  02:49:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by H. Humbert

I think this is one of those case where the solution is worse than the original problem.
That was my wife's response to the idea of setting some geckos loose in our cockroach-infested condo many years ago.
During my stay in the Philippines several decades ago, I discovered that geckos are not only tolerated, but appreciated in homes ranging from the nipa huts of the poor to finely built homes of the wealthy. I personally found the neat little wall-crawlers kind of cute and much preferable to mosquitoes and cockroaches. However, the yuck factor of slugs and their slime trails puts me off. I once had one appear in my shower, and didn't appreciate (nor, frankly, even consider) its cleaning abilities.

We all have to factor in whatever makes us say, "yuck!"

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  10:05:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah; geckos are welcome in many houses in the tropic and considered like pets and even small protectors of the house.
They do hit and kill many potentially dangerous insects after all, not least of all, the disease transmitting mosquitoes.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  21:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
9:40 - No Sluggo.
10:30 - No Sluggo. Moistened fence, just in case.
11:30 - No Sluggo. Feeling like my kid has stayed out way past curfew.
12:30 - Sluggo! Moistened fence again, since it had already gone back to being bone dry.

Thankfully, none of my neighbors have yet asked me what I'm doing late at night with the hose. You fine people understand, "I'm watering my fence for my slug." I don't think they would.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  01:40:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

9:40 - No Sluggo.
10:30 - No Sluggo. Moistened fence, just in case.
11:30 - No Sluggo. Feeling like my kid has stayed out way past curfew.
12:30 - Sluggo! Moistened fence again, since it had already gone back to being bone dry.

Thankfully, none of my neighbors have yet asked me what I'm doing late at night with the hose. You fine people understand, "I'm watering my fence for my slug." I don't think they would.
Running late, eh? Sounds like he was being a slug-a-bed that didn't want to get going until his mother scolded him out of the sack. Of course, y'all have a fairly short acquaintance and you might be just now finding out what a lazy little sluggard he really is.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  07:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Running late, eh? Sounds like he was being a slug-a-bed that didn't want to get going until his mother scolded him out of the sack. Of course, y'all have a fairly short acquaintance and you might be just now finding out what a lazy little sluggard he really is.
Well, I probably don't need to tell you that he was moving at a snail's pace.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  08:19:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by filthy

Well, I probably don't need to tell you that he was moving at a snail's pace.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  20:41:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At about 10 tonight, I spotted Sluggo just as it was starting its climb onto the downspout next to the fence. I think I've got a good idea of where it spends its days (underneath a plastic splash block, next to some nice, cool, exposed foundation concrete).

By 11:15, I expected to see Sluggo on the fence-top, as usual. When I didn't, I grabbed a flashlight and started looking around. I finally found it six inches above the fence-top, behind the downspout (in the half-inch of space between the downspout and the vinyl siding on my house). I did see the scar, so it's definitely my Sluggo.

So... Sluggo's branching out on its own, exploring the wide world around it. [sniff] I'm so proud!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  22:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So... Sluggo's branching out on its own, exploring the wide world around it. [sniff] I'm so proud!
Then they leave, and they never write or call.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  02:08:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us pray that he doesn't start hanging out in low bistros and running with the fancy ladies found in such places. That can be hard on a sinple, innocent country boy like Sluggo.

Ah, but the first time I saw Paris......

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of slugs.

While traipsing (on a wooden path made for guests) through one of the temperate rainforests on Vancouver Island, I was treated with the site of the second largest (in size) species of slug in the world, and the largest in North America. The banana slug. And really, it was huge as slugs go. I lingered for a long while, having never seen anything like it, and even took some pictures of it with my old and not digital Nikon. (Digital SLR's didn't exist yet.) So I grabbed this picture from google images. I prefer mine, because you can really see the setting, but oh well.

There is plenty of life in the Pacific temperate rain forests, by the way. And they have at least four times the biomass of tropical rainforests, according to the wiki link above.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  13:01:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the banana slug! Plenty of them in the nearby redwood forests around these parts. The students of the University of California at Santa Cruz voted to make it their school mascot a decade or so ago. Go Banana Slugs!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  19:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update:
June 16th: No Sluggo.
June 17th: Sluggo!
June 18th: No Sluggo.
June 19th: No Sluggo.
June 20th: No Sluggo.
June 21st: Sluggo!
June 22th: No Sluggo... yet.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  03:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

An update:
June 16th: No Sluggo.
June 17th: Sluggo!
June 18th: No Sluggo.
June 19th: No Sluggo.
June 20th: No Sluggo.
June 21st: Sluggo!
June 22th: No Sluggo... yet.

I was just about to ask.... You don't suppose he's taken to hanging out in Deep Elem, do you? So sad that our best and brightest so often fall into the warm & lovely, fragrant fleshpots of Gomorrah. God, but we all loves them fleshpots!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.