The home-brewed terrorists.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  16:15:23  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This last month or so has seen not a little violence caused by various madmen soaked in right-wing indoctrination. In the past, I have wondered: what sets off an Eric Rodolph, a Tim McVeigh, or the latest batch of slobbering whackos blasting away at women's clinics and killing doctors in church. Here's a very interesting explanation that thoroughly debunks the right-wing media douchebags such as Limbaugh & Beck, & the rest of that foul ilk, who go to such lengths to blame it all on the liberals.

"9 Conservative Myths About Right-Wing Domestic Terrorism

By Sara Robinson, Campaign for America's Future. Posted June 20, 2009.

This is terrorism we're dealing with. We can't afford to let ourselves be distracted by spin. It's time to set the record straight with the facts.

It's been a wild couple of weeks for those of us in the wingnutology business. Our services have been in tremendous demand as the mainstream media try to sort out the meaning of what Scott Roeder and James von Brunn did.

I've done an average of one radio show every day for the past two weeks trying to help various lefty talkers around the country make some sense of it all; and I'm generally gratified at how seriously people are starting to take this.

At the same time, I'm also appalled (though, sadly, hardly surprised) by the conservative mythmaking that's going on around the very serious issue of right-wing domestic terrorism. So it's obviously time to pull together another "Firing Back" piece to give progressives what they need to separate fact from fiction when these talking points start flying.

I've actually had every one of the following myths pitched to me by on-air interviewers, phone-in callers and/or online commenters over the last two weeks. Most of them have come up over and over, which suggests to me that you're likely to encounter them, too. So let's walk 'em through:"

It's a bit long, but a damned, good read.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  18:14:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A damned good read indeed. "It's not fair to hold right-wing media talking heads responsible for the things their listeners might do". That's kinda funny coming from them. For years I've heard what a bad influence Grand Theft Auto and Marilyn Manson are on society. But Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh have no influence on anybody. Oh, if only that were true.

I think sometimes people ARE influenced by the media to do terrible things, but the people who do are usually so far over the edge already that listening to The Monkeys would set them off (thanks to the late Sam Kinison for the reference). The reason that Ann Coulter writes books and Micheal Moore makes movies is to express their points of view and to rally people to their causes. If a person shoots another person and then shoots him/herself, you can't just look at the shooter's bookshelf or movie rack and say "That's why they did it".

On the other hand, there are organizations out there that advocate violence and draw troubled people to their causes and uses those people to commit violent acts, then quickly distance themselves from the perpetrator. These do tend to be right wing causes, such as abortion.

What we read, watch, and listen to, our friends, co-workers, teachers, etc., all influence our thinking and makes us who we are. What we do with the information is up to us.

Laters
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.