Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  14:36:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by theybannedme

I'm here to discuss controversial issues in a place I won't be banned for having a strong opinion or even a hated opinion.
We've never banned anyone for such reasons (unless you count "spamming is an effective form of advertising" as a hated opinion).

So, got a controversial issue in mind?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  15:15:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I understand now. You would rather not take the "shortcut" and form quick opinions. You're saying you would rather get to know someone and make judgements based on gathered info (I think I said that right).

Thanks for answering, and welcome aboard (if I may be so bold. I'm still new here).

Laters
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  15:55:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, theybannedme!

I think you'll find that we don't ban people simply because they have an expectation of being banned. (It's kind of Dave W. to offer a banning to anyone who explicitly asks for one, however.)

No, bannings are rare here, aside from that of spammers and phishers, who naturally get no chance to correct their behavior. Merely being pugnacious or disagreeable won't get you banned. Plenty of us regulars are disagreeable, trouble-making bastards. After all, this forum thrives upon controversy. Free exploration and exchange of ideas is a hallmark of skepticism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

casimir

1 Post

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  17:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send casimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys think a lot, I just want to get laid
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  18:03:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by casimir

You guys think a lot, I just want to get laid
Not much chance here, take it from one who knows.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  18:16:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A "heuristic" is a mental short-cut formed from experience and is often used when there is no time to engage in the process of calculating a solution to a specific problem.

And what do you do if there is no known method for calculating a solution? Of course in this context, "calculating" a solution is rather meaningless to begin with.

Do you find it unreasonable that H.H. found reason to think that a member named the same as the homepage he links to would be in support of that page? Indeed, I find it rather absurd for someone to not think that, at least with the evidence that was available at the time.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  18:17:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have banned me yet.
Only God knows why.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  18:36:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
...Groucho Marx

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  18:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

(It's kind of Dave W. to offer a banning to anyone who explicitly asks for one, however.)
Yup, anyone who sincerely says, "please ban me," will be banned. I hope that's not considered petty.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  06:23:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ask for it by name!

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  07:59:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Baxter

Ask for it by name!
Hey Bax, long time, no hear from. Wjhere ya been, bro?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  08:03:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have arrived. I am hopeful that this is an open-minded bunch, unlike many other "skeptic" communities I have visited.

I am skeptical of your alleged motivation and intent.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  08:33:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that theybannedme may have figured out that SFN is not a fertile hunting ground for his mission, which may be something other than a discussion. We shall see...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  08:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I suspect that theybannedme may have figured out that SFN is not a fertile hunting ground for his mission, which may be something other than a discussion. We shall see...
That would be a pity. We haven't had a good knock-down-drag-out in a long time. Sort'a makes me miss Big Brain, HYBRID, Verlch and Gnome. Banned looks like he has possibilities. Hard opinions, for good of ill, are the best kind.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  10:40:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Clever but skepticism for me entails avoiding relying on heuristics and forming your own judgments about people from firsthand interaction.

I graduated from Skepticism 101 a long time ago; let me know if you need a tutor for these more advanced techniques.

So let me get this straight.... your experience with other "skeptic" sites leaves you hopeful that we are open minded, unlike all those other places you have experienced being banned from.

That interesting bit of irony, combined with your obvious arrogance, is rather amusing.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 06/24/2009 10:41:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.