Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  07:46:26  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

According to this, the crate has been stashed in Ethiopia and will be opened today. We are all saved! Or in deep shit, depending on how we have supported our churchs.
Ark hunters and Bible enthusiasts are buzzing about a report that the Ark of the Covenant, the ancient container that holds the Ten Commandments, is expected to be unveiled in Rome today.

As WND reported, the patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia says he will announce to the world the unveiling of the Ark, which he says has been hidden away in a church in his country for millennia, according to the Italian news agency Adnkronos.

Abuna Pauolos, in Italy for a meeting with Pope Benedict XVI this week, told the news agency, "Soon the world will be able to admire the Ark of the Covenant described in the Bible as the container of the tablets of the law that God delivered to Moses and the center of searches and studies for centuries."

From PZ, of course. That guy has an information network that is the envy of Lord Satan himself.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  08:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ho... I remember seeing a show about the ark, on National Geographic I believe.

I am surprised that the Vatican gets in board with it though...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  08:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One notes that the article is from the World Nudnik Daily, so the real story might be anything or nothing.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  08:35:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next week, Cornuke will travel to Ethiopia for the 13th time since he began his search for the Ark. He told WND he believes this artifact may be authentic.

"They either have the Ark of the Covenant or they have a replica that they have believed to be the Ark of the Covenant for 2,000 years," he said.

One way to find out if real or not, have someone touch it. How many volunteers do you think they'll have? Believers won't for fear of god's wrath and non-believers won't care enough to bother with it.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  09:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 06/26/2009 09:14:46
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  10:06:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll open it.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  10:22:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would open it.

The artefact has most probably little to do with the actual ark, but it's still probably a holy object from pre-monotheistic traditions that has been co-opted. Pretty cool all by itself!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:29:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt anyone will be allowed to do scientific testing on this object to determine the validity of its age or contents. Not holding my breath...(or closing my eyes)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:31:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if they find that it does date from the biblical time period and you can touch/have sex in it and not die??? Where is your god now?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  14:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

What if they find that it does date from the biblical time period and you can touch/have sex in it and not die??? Where is your god now?

It would become like The Shroud of Turin; It's not the genuine ark described in the bible, but a whole lot of people will still believe that it's the real thing.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  15:35:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's new and has not been presented to people as the real deal (yet) like the shroud has been... for centuries. So, unless it happens to be the real deal or at least from the same period and such, people won't have much problem to discard it.

It will still be worshipped in Ethiopia, of course, but who cares about them?

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  16:13:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

It's new and has not been presented to people as the real deal (yet) like the shroud has been... for centuries. So, unless it happens to be the real deal or at least from the same period and such, people won't have much problem to discard it.

The shroud has been shown to be from the wrong time period, yet people still believe it's what Jesus was buried in. I'd like to think that you're right and this will go away when it doesn't destroy everything like in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but I also see how people cling to something that can't possibly be real.

Then again, as with the shroud, it doesn't matter to me what someone believes. Just as long as they don't expect me to believe as well.

Laters
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  17:06:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Relax folks. While it's a little too early to say it's a load o' crap, well, I've had to turn my bullshit detector off. It was waking up the cat and pissing off my couple of remaining snakes with the racket.

Ok, it's a load o' crap. The only interest here is in how they might present it. That might be pretty good, preachers in general being what they are.

But the faithful will suck it up, whatever.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/26/2009 17:07:58
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  17:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by knightmare

Originally posted by Simon

The shroud has been shown to be from the wrong time period, yet people still believe it's what Jesus was buried in. I'd like to think that you're right and this will go away when it doesn't destroy everything like in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but I also see how people cling to something that can't possibly be real.

Then again, as with the shroud, it doesn't matter to me what someone believes. Just as long as they don't expect me to believe as well.

Laters

Well; my point about the shroud was not so much about the actual age of the objects but the fact that it has been around since the middle-age and people have grown to accept it. By the time evidences came in; it was very thoroughly ingrained into culture.

The "ark" doesn't have such inertia and I am not expecting people to accept it against the evidences.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  17:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've doubts. First, especially given the World Nut Daily source, that there's any "there" there at all. Second, that if there's an artifact at all, it's not simply a fraudulent simulcrum of the original Ark.

I seem to recall that the Romans carved a representation of the Ark into a monument, showing it (or, more likely, a later copy of it, and there may have been several Arks even at the same time) carried by legionnaires as war booty after they destroyed the Temple. They knew the value of its gold components, and knew how valuable it was symbolically to the Jews, whose rebellious religion they were trying to destroy. For the Ark to survive Roman capture as anything but stone dust and newly-minted aurei would be incomprehensible to me.

But let's consider as a mind experiment the very, very unlikely chance that there indeed exists in Ethiopia, and will soon be unveiled and somehow confirmed by experts, a very ancient artifact the may indeed be the original Ark of the Covenant. What would be the implications?

First, it would be of enormous magnet to many ultra-orthodox Jews, who would be tempted to try to seize it as a first step in reestablishing the long-dead Jewish priesthood. Other steps would include destroying the Dome of the Rock, to order to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. Since the Dome of the Rock is sacred to Muslims, that act of destruction in itself would probably set off a cataclysmic war. Just the sort of thing that the Rapture Ready crowd would cream their pants to see.

I think that last part demonstrates why WND is interested in this supposed Ark of the Covenant.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  18:14:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not aware of this carving. It's possible, but I think to remember the trail of the ark disappearing earlier than that... about the time of the FIRST destruction of the temple...

As for the implication, yes, that would certainly put a few orthodox's panties in a twist... but I don't think that the actual Israelies authorities would follow through with the crazy.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.