Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  13:24:49  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Citing pressures and conflicts between her office and the promotion of her new book, Sarah Palin today announced she is handing over power later this month to Lt. Governor Sean Parnell, and that she will not run for Governor again in 2010.

Palin still seems to think she can run for President in 2012, but being forced out of her present office early is hardly a ringing endorsement. I suspect she knows of coming legal problems that would have tossed her out of office, anyway. Perhaps she thinks those will now go away, and clear her to run for President.

Nutty Sarah thinks a lot of strange things, though.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  13:43:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bailing is the best move she could make, at this point. She's smarter than i'd thought.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  14:36:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Now if she'd just shut the fuck up.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  14:41:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Agita

Now if she'd just shut the fuck up.
Good luck on that. Instead, I expect she's going to be staying in the Lower 48, making sure the GOP becomes even more radical and irrelevant.

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  14:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does she have serious legal issues coming up that I was not aware of? I am aware of the 'trooper gate' but it does not seem like it is enough to put her in trouble. Is there something else or is she just leaving Alaska to focus on the National scene in order to pose the ground-work for 2012?

I know that Mark Stanford was, until his "hike" of the Apalachian Argentinian mountains, considered a potential runner up for the GOP in 2012, probably from the conservative side of the party. Is it possible that, with the removal of this potential rival, she decided that it was not time to give it a try?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  15:24:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caribou Barbie needs to study a lot more before any sane person would take her seriously. Unfortunately she needs to start around grade 2.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  17:29:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the surface at least, this looks like the end of her political career. Who wants a leader that cuts and runs when things get a little tough? I doubt if she'll even get on an advisory staff.

But on a worser note, she's going to, no doubt, write books and do the squawking head circuit like an Ann Coulter north.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:22:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion at that point is that she is afraid that the various 'indiscretions' would damage her image. She might also have a few more skeletons in her Alaskan closet and might hope that resigning will reduce the pressure and help these stay buried.

On the other hand, she is certainly considering running for president in 2012, especially now that Stanford, a potential candidate for the neo-con side of the GOP, is out.
She will then wants to focus exclusively on preparing the groundwork for the election and its easier to do from the lower 48 than from Alaska.
It must have been on her mind for a while but the troubles growing in Alaska was the clincher.

Still, it is a rushed decision (less than a month warning? WTF) and the organization is clumsy. Not to mention, once again, she sacrificed the efficiency of the Alaskan government to her own political goals).
I hope she wins the 2012 investiture for the GOP, she doesn't have the calibre to conduct a successful presidential campaign and we could use 4 extra years of Obama.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:34:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slate take on the subject.

Pretty much, no one really understand. Maybe the future will tell. Hopefully, though, it won't, because no one will care and the lady would have faded back to the irrelevance she so richly deserves.

Edited for grammar.
And re-edited to fix link.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 07/03/2009 20:53:47
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:57:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Slate take on the subject.

Pretty much, no one really understand. Maybe the future will tell. Hopefully, though, it won't, because no one will care and the lady would have faded back to the irrelevance she so richly deserves.

Edited for grammar.
Simon, what were you linking at "subject"? Link didn't work; looks like there was an extra space in the address. But even with the space removed, Slate says the page has moved (click on "subject" in the quote box above. Please redirect us, esp if it was something really juicy about the moose-guv.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  19:34:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Does she have serious legal issues coming up that I was not aware of?
I didn't have any particular additional legal troubles in mind when I wrote the OP. I'm just, like many, struggling to understand this baffling resignation.

The first idea that went through my head was that she might know of new legal trouble of a sort more serious than even "Troopergate." Maybe she is being blackmailed to leave office. (They do play politics as a contact sport in Alaska.)

The other hypothesis that came to me is that Palin just made the political blunder of her lifetime.

Certainly her sudden resignation press conference was a rambling and incoherent mess. She talked like George W. does on a bad day, often in long run-on sentences that made no sense. Palin is said not to take advice well from her aides. Since she appears to be an idiot in all other ways, it's just possible that Palin blundered out of office simply because she is a stupid git. She's created at least the impression that she was forced out of office by corruption. That's a dumb impression to give, even if it's true.

Running for President by quitting as Governor?

Ur doing it rong.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  19:40:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't quit as Gov and expect to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate.

Seriously though, I no longer try to comprehend this imbecile's actions or words. She is so deluded and irrational that it often causes me physical pain to try.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ZebraSimon, what were you linking at "subject"? Link didn't work; looks like there was an extra space in the address. But even with the space removed, Slate says the page has moved (click on "subject" in the quote box above. Please redirect us, esp if it was something really juicy about the moose-guv.

Fixed it. Not sure what went wrong but thanks for the heads-up.
Really, nothing that juicy. Many hypothesis but nobody knows. That in itself is revealing of sort.

Originally posted by HalfMooner
I didn't have any particular additional legal troubles in mind when I wrote the OP. I'm just, like many, struggling to understand this baffling resignation.
The first idea that went through my head was that she might know of new legal trouble of a sort more serious than even "Troopergate." Maybe she is being blackmailed to leave office. (They do play politics as a contact sport in Alaska.)
The other hypothesis that came to me is that Palin just made the political blunder of her lifetime.
Certainly her sudden resignation press conference was a rambling and incoherent mess. She talked like George W. does on a bad day, often in long run-on sentences that made no sense. Palin is said not to take advice well from her aides. Since she appears to be an idiot in all other ways, it's just possible that Palin blundered out of office simply because she is a stupid git. She's created at least the impression that she was forced out of office by corruption. That's a dumb impression to give, even if it's true.

Running for President by quitting as Governor?
Ur doing it rong.

That, in itself, is not that bad, from what I read, it is not unheard of for hopeful candidates to focus on the campaign exclusively.

It is, of course, very early to do so but Alaska put her far away from the spotlights, and being forgotten is not going to help her career (plus, I suspect she might have developed an addiction to media), hence the ridiculous circus with Letterman a few weeks back.

No, where she sodomized the puppy, is in the rushed and chaotic conference. She has several years to go before the election and could take the time to do things well and project a good impression.

Ok... One more hypothesis.
She is called by McCain and coe. All the sudden, she is thrusted in the spotlight and the world revolve around her. She is the subject of nearly half of the news just by a little self. At the meetings, thousands of neo-cons chant her name.

It's thrilling... And then, they get their butt kicked. She goes back to Alaska. She fades from the spotlights. Life return to normal. The boring kind of normal.

For months she sit one her ass wishing the exhilarating time of the campaign would come back. Maybe she could give up the post of governor? Return to the meetings and the rock-star lifestyle? Some people advise against it, though. So she hesitates.

Finally, she make her mind. It might be a mistake, but she rationalize it away. What do her helpers know about it, anyway? She is the star! And, once she make up her mind, she can't wait a minute more! She throw a hasty press conference and give a few weeks advance notice, the bare minimum... fame and glamour is calling!

Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 07/03/2009 21:29:36
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  06:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things of interest:

Kink

Link

Link

Link

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  06:17:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rumors are flying about a possible federal indictment for embezzlement when she was mayor of Wasilla.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  08:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tw101356

Rumors are flying about a possible federal indictment for embezzlement when she was mayor of Wasilla.
BINGO. I think that may be the scandal I was indirectly sensing when I wrote the OP. If so, she quit now simply because she was soon going to be thrown out of office.

A Federal indictment for ripping off building material from the Wasilla Sports Complex to build her own home would be the end of any chance of a political future.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.