How do they do it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  05:21:08  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I think I've been jumping into AiG's shit at least as long as PZ and maybe a little longer. One thing that has impressed me is that they have any PhDs on staff at all. Well, here's the explanation -- first I'll state that merely having some esoteric letters behind a name does not make that person a scientist. Dr. Jason Lisle (Doctorate in Astronomy), for example, does not publish nor work in his field of research, and therefore is not a scientist.

Anyhow, here's how it's done as told by an expert:
I can say from experience that being a biblical creationist at a secular college has its challenges. In addition to the normal academic pressures faced by all students, the consistent Christian must learn to be discerning about the views and interpretations expressed by his or her professors. This requires extra research as well as time (a valuable commodity while in college!). Such intellectual challenges occur in the midst of a social environment that is hostile to Christianity.

Many Christian parents are concerned that such a secular environment may lead their children to walk away from the Church. This concern is justified, since studies have shown that around two out of three Christian students from conservative churches will leave the church when they become adults.

Already Gone
First of all, our research shows that the problem starts much earlier than college. Nearly 90% of those students who leave the church have already begun to doubt God's Word by the time they graduate from high school. Although they may continue to attend church with their parents, spiritually they are already gone.

Most Christian teenagers do not understand how the Bible connects to the “real world.” They have been taught “Bible stories,” but they have not been shown how the Bible's history explains the evidence around us—from biology and geology to astronomy. Conversely, public schools use their evolutionary version of history to interpret the present world. So, students are inclined to think that the secular version of history they learned in public school is real, whereas the Bible is just a collection of interesting stories.

This is probably at least pretty close to the fact. Many students go into college deeply religious and come out as only casual believers at best.
4. Remaining Silent
Finally, I would recommend that students of science use discretion when talking about creation. Specifically, they should not (in most circumstances) let their professors know that they believe in creation if at all possible. This does not mean that they should lie; rather, it means that they should not volunteer that information.

The reason for this is that some science professors are so emotionally against creation that they will not be fair with a creationist student: not assigning a fair grade, not giving them a good letter of recommendation, etc., no matter how deserving the student may be. There are documented cases of people being expelled for expressing a belief in biblical creation. This is particularly the case for students studying for a PhD in biology, geology, or astronomy.

Many students come to the classroom with the noble, but misguided, sentiment: “I'm going to convert all my evolutionist professors into creationists.” First of all, it's not within our ability to convert people (1 Corinthians 3:6–7). That is the prerogative of the Holy Spirit. Our job is to sanctify Christ as Lord and always be ready to respectfully give a defense of the faith to anyone who asks (1 Peter 3:15).

For the most part, professors are not going to ask; they are not interested in the opinions of their students.2 Sharing biblical creation with them would be like c

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  07:01:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Lisle

The reason for this is that some science professors are so emotionally against creation that they will not be fair with a creationist student: not assigning a fair grade, not giving them a good letter of recommendation, etc., no matter how deserving the student may be. There are documented cases of people being expelled for expressing a belief in biblical creation. This is particularly the case for students studying for a PhD in biology, geology, or astronomy.
Name one, doc. The word "expelled" being linked to the AiG store selling the movie Expelled doesn't count, because it doesn't document a single student "being expelled for expressing a belief in biblical creation" (nor does it document any faculty being censured for their beliefs, either).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  09:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a student wants to write a paper on creation for a creation journal like the Answers Research Journal, he or she should use a pen name. This is perfectly acceptable and is commonly used even in secular literature (e.g., Mark Twain).
Um, Samuel Clemens could use "Mark Twain" because he was writing fiction. He wasn't writing scholarly papers for scientific journals. If AiG's "journal" uses pseudonymous authors, that's problematical.

Oh, that's right: Answers Research Journal isn't a scholarly research journal. It's a fantasy fiction review.

It really bothers me that these guys are conspiring with Fundy students by giving detailed tips on how to defraud tax-supported secular universities, and taking up classroom space that could be filled by students who really want to be scientists, by pretending to learn science. Perhaps the universities should try to find out who these faux students are, and then pretend to give them degrees in science.

Dr. Jason Lisle should be investigated for any fraud in the circumstances of how he received his own education, and for seemingly conspiring to aid others in ripping off taxpayers.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  09:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

first I'll state that merely having some esoteric letters behind a name does not make that person a scientist.

Could not agree with you here anymore then I all ready do.

I would go on to say that even with having some esoteric letters behind a name the person could still be completely and totally wrong on a topic which falls in the realm of their esoteric letters.

There was once a time in the TDF where the riders would light up a smoke before a big climb in the mountains because the "trainers" of the day believed this was a stimulant for performance. Nobody even gave it a second thought because these guys were the "experts".

Today it looks rather amusing to see the old black and white photos of the riders enjoying a smoke atop their bike ahead of the big climb. Could you picture Lance Armstrong whipping out a Lucky Strike and asking someone for a light in the middle of the stage.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 08/12/2009 10:07:46
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  11:23:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

first I'll state that merely having some esoteric letters behind a name does not make that person a scientist.

Could not agree with you here anymore then I all ready do.

I would go on to say that even with having some esoteric letters behind a name the person could still be completely and totally wrong on a topic which falls in the realm of their esoteric letters.

There was once a time in the TDF where the riders would light up a smoke before a big climb in the mountains because the "trainers" of the day believed this was a stimulant for performance. Nobody even gave it a second thought because these guys were the "experts".

Today it looks rather amusing to see the old black and white photos of the riders enjoying a smoke atop their bike ahead of the big climb. Could you picture Lance Armstrong whipping out a Lucky Strike and asking someone for a light in the middle of the stage.

Hi Bill and thanks! Coming from you, that's high praise indeed -- I am not being facetious!

But y'see, that's one way science works. it takes a set of, well, call them, "poplar beliefs" for lack of a better term, and through often tedious study, either confirms or corrects them. Unfortunately, that correction is often ignored or discarded, but it remains in science as a truth nevertheless. Truth can and does come back to bite us for ignoring it, every now and again.

Anyhow, welcome back!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  12:37:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Could you picture Lance Armstrong whipping out a Lucky Strike and asking someone for a light in the middle of the stage.
Heh-heh! Maybe on the Tour de A Couple of Blocks of Paris, but certainly not on the Tour de France.

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  13:56:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, a title in itself means little, that'd be argument from authority.
IT gives you an idea that the guy is more likely to speak from a position of knowledge than somebody that never studied the field but, optimally, you should check each clam individually (and I believe it also works the other way around, as mentioned in the 'ad hominem thread).
If you don't have the time and knowledge to check the claim yourself, odds are the consensus from the scientific body is more likely to be correct (and the scientific body rarely hesitates to mentions when their conclusions are fragile and based on a weal body of evidence).
If you can't access the literature, odds are the particular expert you have available will be a representative sample for the scientific consensus, but we are getting further away from the ideal.

Also, one must keep in mind that Science always is provisional and self-correcting. It indicates where the evidences point, at this moment in time. It can always be proven wrong at a later time, but it is the best we have at any given time.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  19:16:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...first I'll state that merely having some esoteric letters behind a name does not make that person a scientist.

Exactly. The word 'science' is a verb, it is something you do. If you're not doing science then you're not a scientist. I suspect a lot of those people did their university work with their fingers crossed and then dropped the pretense when they went out into the world.

And that, if I recall correctly, personifies the term 'phony bastards'.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Edited by - The Rat on 08/12/2009 19:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  19:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Case in point: Demski does have valid letters behind his name. Yet, he gave up science and drank the apologetist/ID cool-aid.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  22:59:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paleontologist Jack Horner doesn't have any non-honorary degrees.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/12/2009 23:00:43
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  02:52:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Paleontologist Jack Horner doesn't have any non-honorary degrees.

And he is very damned good at what he does!

Here is the other side of the coin:
Fundamentalist Christian Candidate for Tulsa Mayor Makes Creationism Exhibit at Local Zoo Priority # 1

Submitted by meg on Wed, 08/12/2009 - 1:15pm. Analysis
BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS
by Meg White

Anyone who's done their time in journalism school delights in a good lead paragraph, and I'm no exception. In that spirit (and because I simply couldn't say it better myself), I present this gem from Brian Barber, a staff writer at Tulsa World:

Republican mayoral candidate Anna Falling said Tuesday that putting a Christian creationism display in the Tulsa Zoo is No. 1 in importance among city issues that include violent crime, budget woes and bumpy streets.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  02:58:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy quoted Answers-in-Genesis:

This does not mean that they should lie; rather, it means that they should not volunteer that information.
Is that what people commonly refers to as "Lie by Omission"?

There are documented cases of people being expelled for expressing a belief in biblical creation. This is particularly the case for students studying for a PhD in biology, geology, or astronomy.
I'd like to see evidence of that.

Many students come to the classroom with the noble, but misguided, sentiment: “I'm going to convert all my evolutionist professors into creationists.”
And who's fault is that? Hint: read this link. (hat-tip to Filthy)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  03:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Filthy quoted Answers-in-Genesis:

This does not mean that they should lie; rather, it means that they should not volunteer that information.
Is that what people commonly refers to as "Lie by Omission"?

There are documented cases of people being expelled for expressing a belief in biblical creation. This is particularly the case for students studying for a PhD in biology, geology, or astronomy.
I'd like to see evidence of that.

Many students come to the classroom with the noble, but misguided, sentiment: “I'm going to convert all my evolutionist professors into creationists.”
And who's fault is that? Hint: read this link. (hat-tip to Filthy)

That was sort of prescient, wasn't it? But indeed, the Atheist Professor theme floats through it from start to finish.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.