Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  09:18:18  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Dawkins interviews Wendy Wright, president of Concerned Women for America, and tangentially a spoke person for ID and the DI.

This is in seven parts. I'm not going to post each link, but they are all there. What amazes me is Dawkin's patients. Wendy Wright goes for every cliché in the book and Dawkins explains it all to her. At some point, I might have just punched her for her smugness alone.

And just as an aside, I think it is worth noting that Dawkins doesn't resort to ridicule while talking to this idiot. But he does politely expose the absolute absurdities of her position very effectively.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:39:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG! She absolutely screams SLAP MY STUPID FACE! What a moron.

I give Dawkins huge props for the way he handled her.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:44:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've watched the first three. I can only take about one a day, any more and I'll ruin a perfectly good monitor by beating it with a stick. I wish the camera would pan down so we could see Wendy's really big bulbous red shoes.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  12:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've now gotten through Part 4.

She just might be the absolute dumbest human being to hold any position of influence.......EVER!

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:

Edited by - astropin on 08/06/2009 12:23:25
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  12:40:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really should stop...

Atheism:

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  13:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh-ye-freakin'-gods! Nebraska Man again, and right off the bat, too! Have these goobers nothing else?

Well, evidently not; at least nothing that makes any more sense.

So I asked myself, "Self," I asked, "What exactly are this heifer's qualifications to be expounding on a topic that she appears to know little about beyond apologetics?"

"Well," I answered myself, "she is the head cheese of Concerned Women for America which is a fairly rabid, Christian lash-up founded by Beverly LaHay, main squeeze of dedicated Nazarene-groupie, Tim LaHay, 'nuff said!"

"Yeh, I know all that; what I'm lookin' for here is scientific cred."

"Oooh I dunno; lemmee go look..." Looking.... "Um seems there ain't none. She's more of a religious, political advocate than anything else. CWA gots them a mission statement that reminds of ICR and AIG. It goes 'bout like this here:"

We believe the Bible to be the verbally inspired, inerrant Word of God and the final authority on faith and practice.

We believe Jesus Christ is the divine Son of God, was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died a sacrificial death, rose bodily from the dead on the third day and ascended into Heaven from where He will come again to receive all believers unto Himself.

We believe all men are fallen creations of Adam's race and in need of salvation by grace through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

We believe it is our duty to serve God to the best of our ability and to pray for a moral and spiritual revival that will return this nation to the traditional values upon which it was founded.

"Ugh. Looks like a lota faith an' no knowledge, whaddya think?"

"I think that 'bout covers it."

Nebraska man! My fucking word!

I only watched the first one. I'll check out the rest when my stomach settles.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  13:28:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I only watched the first one. I'll check out the rest when my stomach settles.

Yeah.....good luck with that. My head still hurts.

Atheism:

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  13:29:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Richard Dawkins interviews Wendy Wright, president of Concerned Women for America, and tangentially a spoke person for ID and the DI.

This is in seven parts. I'm not going to post each link, but they are all there. What amazes me is Dawkin's patients. Wendy Wright goes for every cliché in the book and Dawkins explains it all to her. At some point, I might have just punched her for her smugness alone.

And just as an aside, I think it is worth noting that Dawkins doesn't resort to ridicule while talking to this idiot. But he does politely expose the absolute absurdities of her position very effectively.

Maybe because when you ridicule a person to their face you will likely end any conversation you are having with them. If he wanted to get through his entire interview with her then he had to be congenial.

But really, sometimes you just don't need to use ridicule because the person you are speaking too is a full blown walking/talking parody. This woman is a good example.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  16:13:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

But really, sometimes you just don't need to use ridicule because the person you are speaking too is a full blown walking/talking parody. This woman is a good example.

Proving the old adage 'Better to keep on's mouth closed and have people think you're an idiot than open it and remove all doubt.'

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:44:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched all seven.

At first I was proud of my endurance, but .... the pain, the pain.

I really wish Dawkins had invited her and the camera crew to accompany him straight to a museum, then and there. He could point at each display and ask, "Why isn't this evidence, in your view?"

She was just spewing well-rehearsed routines activated by keywords. Nothing interesting.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  20:30:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ignoring the evidences; repeating the lies again and again; fairly usual creationist BS.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  23:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy refers to being arrested for praying outside an abortion clinic and receiving a 6 month jail sentence. I've failed to find any information other than Wendy repeating the story (and some other rather ludicrous ones). Perhaps someone who has better investigate skills than I can help?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  01:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part two: What a cow! Came within an ace of going Godwin and has yet to say anything we haven't heard here in SFN. I'm pretty well rested this morning, so it's on to the rest of this massacree.

Edit: Ok, finished it.

I find myself reminded of the first eel I ever caught. I didn't know how to deal with it, you see, and by the time I got that slippery rascal in my bucket, my hands were covered with a lot of very sticky slime. If you don't know how, they are really quite impossible to handle, albeit excellent on the table. Ms. Wright is as slippery as that eel, and Dawkins is to be commended for suffering it. I'd have been sorely tempted to throttle her about 1/3 way through episode Three. I wouldn't have of course, but the temptation would have been nigh overwhelming.

The sad part is that she brought nothing new nor even interesting to the conversation; just the same, old creationist tripe. Even her red herrings made very poor bait.

And now, I'm off to have some Maalox for breakfast.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/07/2009 03:15:35
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  05:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Wendy refers to being arrested for praying outside an abortion clinic and receiving a 6 month jail sentence. I've failed to find any information other than Wendy repeating the story (and some other rather ludicrous ones). Perhaps someone who has better investigate skills than I can help?
Here it is:
Abortion Opponents Rush Wichita Clinic; 130 Arrested - Protest: Activists scale fence, knock down counterdemonstrator. Two Operation Rescue leaders are taken into custody later.

August 21, 1991

WICHITA, Kan. — Anti-abortion demonstrators stormed the Women's Health Care Services abortion clinic Tuesday in defiance of a court order against blocking it, and 130 of them were arrested.

Two Operation Rescue leaders were also arrested Tuesday under a separate court order, and two others said they would surrender.

Ads by Google / Ad Feedback
abortionabortion services ( 718) 829-7000 Board Certified OB/GYN (same day) gynservices.comAbout an hour after the clinic demonstration, the Rev. Pat Mahoney of Boca Raton, Fla., one of the leaders, was arrested by a federal marshal at Wichita Mid-Continent Airport as he returned from a trip to the East Coast.

Mahoney was arrested under U.S. District Judge Patrick F. Kelly's order that cites the protest leaders with failure to post a $100,000 peace bond on Aug. 6. A peace bond is sometimes imposed when a group's activities may cause disorder or property damage.

Later Tuesday, Keith Tucci of Charleston, S.C., was arrested after appearing on a talk show on a Christian radio station in Wichita.

Two more people named in the arrest order, Wendy Wright of Binghamton, N.Y., and Joe Slovenec of Cleveland, were in Wichita and said they planned to surrender.

Evidently, Ms. Wright is not above embellishing a story. I can't seem to find whether or not she pulled any time, or even community service, so I suspect not. Probably got either dismissed or a suspended sentence.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  07:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't dare watch the first part to the end, because I became acutely aware of my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels. I really understand some people's urge to bitch-slap this looser back to the middle-ages where she surely belongs.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  08:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I can't seem to find whether or not she pulled any time, or even community service, so I suspect not. Probably got either dismissed or a suspended sentence.
She was let go for that one:
A fourth leader, Wendy Wright, of Binghamton, N.Y., originally was expected to face the judge along with the others. Her lawyer said that she was a group spokeswoman but that she planned to leave Wichita immediately.

Kelly said she was free to leave.
I see hints that she's been arrested for other anti-abortion protests, though.

By the way, that Wichita arrest was for the rather violent protests outside of George Tiller's clinic. It's a small world.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.