Unbelievable!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saga

13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  10:16:40  Show Profile Send Saga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I browsed you forums, delighted with wonder and awe of interesting and mind churning topics, I thought to myself:
"Gee, I sure wish I could contribute in some way"

The World (TM) took a step forward, boldly exclaiming! "No prob! Here you go!" and presented me with this bullshit.

(CNN) -- The Philadelphia Eagles welcomed Michael Vick back into the National Football League on Friday after the quarterback spent almost two years in federal prison on a felony dogfighting conviction.

It's good to know that morals and ethics can be bought away like that. I suppose as an impressionable teenager I should keep that in mind whenever I might get in trouble. Mike Vick sure is an awesome role model!

The NFL reinstated Vick on a conditional basis last month. Vick "will be considered for full reinstatement and to play in regular-season games by Week 6 based on the progress he makes in his transition plan," the league said in a statement last month.

Get out of jail free card anyone?

You can call me a bleeding hippie, but what that guy did was implorable! I'd understand him being let back in if he had sort of ignored the dogs to the point of them being emaciated (you know, the stuff you see in EVERY Animal Cops on Animal Planet) but he took deliberate, ACTIVE part in not only brutally fighting those dogs but killing them in INCREDIBLY inhumane ways.

Ffffff, sorry about this. I'm fuming hard.

Vick also claims that he's learned his lesson and he wants to help now. I don't believe that for a minute.
While I'm sure he will do what he's saying, I believe it is only because it's for saving his own skin and not the dogs.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  10:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, I'd like to see him make a fat donation to the ASPCA or some other organization that promotes animal welfare. Having done wildlife rescue and rehab, I know that $$ are always in short supply and appreciated.

Might help make up for for it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fani

16 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  10:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were quite a few football fans that didn't even think he should go to jail in the first place. I don't know WTF is up with people and their sports heroes; it's like they are demigods who can do no wrong - including killing people.

Of course he regrets it now that he's been caught but anyone who can take a dog who is (literally) the best friend you can have and torture them to death for ANY reason but especially for money reveals a person who is just plain sick.

If I believed in hell I would wish him to rot there but instead he will go back to a life of fame and fortune.
Edited by - Fani on 08/14/2009 10:49:48
Go to Top of Page

Saga

13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:02:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Saga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Me, I'd like to see him make a fat donation to the ASPCA or some other organization that promotes animal welfare. Having done wildlife rescue and rehab, I know that $$ are always in short supply and appreciated.

Might help make up for for it.

This is true. And he's got enough money for sure.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:11:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vick's actions are deplorable but you need to get over it, I think the Dante Stallworth issue is far worse than this. Stallworth killed a man while drunk driving and served less than a month after paying off the family. He does have an extensive house arrest at his mansion however. At least the NFL has more balls than the Justice system, they suspended him for a year.

Ray Lewis shot his limo driver in the head with a shotgun and got 12 months probation.

Vick served 23 months in Federal prison and lost at least 50 Million dollars in earnings, he lost two seasons plus five games this year and will be infamous and detested the rest of his life. He "paid his debt" far more than most folks do. I think its a big mistake to hire him and I wont be rooting for the Eagles.(and neither will many long time Eagles fans who love dogs)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:28:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think only the most pure among us should be paid large sums of money to beat the hell out of themselves and other adults in ways that humans weren't built to take and that will cause permanent damage.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  12:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently suggested on another forum that a very hungry Vick be contained in a pen with a pack of very hungry wolves.

If Vick managed to digest a wolf and deal with the rest of the pack, take what remains of him immediately back to America's Roman Coliseums to get the living shit kicked out of him in America's Gladiatorial Games. Weekdays would be spent in prison bent over and strapped to a rape stand.

If the wolfpack collectively digested Vick; well, good riddance of particularly odius garbage, good nutrition for starving wildlife, and a notably appropriate canine final solution to the Vick Problem!

Here's one liberal who believes in suspiciously Cheney-like solutions to social problems, but hell, if you can't get rid of 'em, copy them!
Go to Top of Page

Saga

13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  12:54:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Saga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Vick's actions are deplorable but you need to get over it, I think the Dante Stallworth issue is far worse than this. Stallworth killed a man while drunk driving and served less than a month after paying off the family. He does have an extensive house arrest at his mansion however. At least the NFL has more balls than the Justice system, they suspended him for a year.

Ray Lewis shot his limo driver in the head with a shotgun and got 12 months probation.

Vick served 23 months in Federal prison and lost at least 50 Million dollars in earnings, he lost two seasons plus five games this year and will be infamous and detested the rest of his life. He "paid his debt" far more than most folks do. I think its a big mistake to hire him and I wont be rooting for the Eagles.(and neither will many long time Eagles fans who love dogs)

While of course these cases are FAR more serious, it fall under the same hat. "Oh you're rich and famous, move along then." Only difference is (besides severity) is that Vick is in the news atmo.

It just pisses me off that people can basically do whatever they please because they have a fan following...

On the other hand you are probably right, because I don't think this will ever change. :c
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  13:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Saga

While of course these cases are FAR more serious, it fall under the same hat. "Oh you're rich and famous, move along then." Only difference is (besides severity) is that Vick is in the news atmo.

It just pisses me off that people can basically do whatever they please because they have a fan following...
Well, no. I think the question is whether Vick got off easy at all. I'm not familiar with the animal cruelty laws, so has Vick faced the same penalty that any no-name dog-fighter would have? If so, then fair-is-fair and Vick has paid his debt to society.

If, on the other hand, you are arguing that the animal cruetly laws need to be made much more harsh, that's a whole different question which doesn't revolve around Vick's fame at all.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  13:43:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I think only the most pure among us should be paid large sums of money to beat the hell out of themselves and other adults in ways that humans weren't built to take and that will cause permanent damage.
I agree. The staff at SFN should get paid a whole lot more!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Saga

13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  14:11:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Saga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, no. I think the question is whether Vick got off easy at all. I'm not familiar with the animal cruelty laws, so has Vick faced the same penalty that any no-name dog-fighter would have? If so, then fair-is-fair and Vick has paid his debt to society.

If, on the other hand, you are arguing that the animal cruetly laws need to be made much more harsh, that's a whole different question which doesn't revolve around Vick's fame at all.

No, I don't mean to argue that he got off scott free, but the fact that this doesn't seem to have any repercussions for his status as a public person. He got accepted into football again, right after comin out.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  14:33:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a little tougher than its face value.

Vick was raised in an atmosphere of fighting and being brutal to dogs. He was totally desensitized and frankly probably never gave it much thought.

Does that make it okay? Of course not. But he certainly did not get off scott free. He lost virtually all of his money and he spent 2 years in prison. He will be hounded by PETA and others for the rest of his life.

Did he learn from all of this? Who knows, he says he has and I think it's ok to give him the benefit of the doubt until he shows otherwise.

I'm not a fan....but I think I could give him a shot at redemption.

And yes I am an animal lover.

Vick's true colors will shine through sooner or later, then we'll know.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  15:17:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I don't mean to argue that he got off scott free, but the fact that this doesn't seem to have any repercussions for his status as a public person. He got accepted into football again, right after comin out.
Well, that only means that he can still get people to buy tickets. What more should the NFL have done? It's not like he was hosting dogfights in the locker rooms during games, or feeding his dogs with the bodies of NFL waterboys.

Think about it this way: he's going to be hounded by animal-rights activists for the rest of his life, and even when he's 80 years old, he'll be so closely watched by dogged reporters that he won't be able to buy anyone in his family a dog as a pet. Even though they'll be barking up the wrong tree, people will whine if people close to Vick buy their own dogs with their own money. It's a leash he's not going to be able to shake off.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  01:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I agree. The staff at SFN should get paid a whole lot more!

I vote for your raise every year, but this year I'd like to see the SFN kennels before I vote this year.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  01:26:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I vote for your raise every year, but this year I'd like to see the SFN kennels before I vote this year.
These are the SFN kennels.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  07:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, stop that. Your nose is cold.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.