Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  21:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gaming friends, especially paper-and-pencil gamers: I've created a game, called "Myoss Gamma," for which I need testers.

Ricky has already expressed interest in playing the game online (which will take a few rules changes that I'll get into), but if you've got some friends and some time and the interest in trying out a new game, give it a shot and let me know what you think (either here in this thread or via email).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  22:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks very interesting and well-considered. Since joining such a game would take a considerable commitment, I'm going to have to carefully read your rules/instructions and think about this a while before making a decision.

I'm only started with reading, so the answer to this question may already be spelled out, but: Is much math involved? (Math of a complexity that many, especially you, Dave, consider trivial is completely beyond me.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/31/2009 23:02:16
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  23:25:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

That looks very interesting and well-considered. Since joining such a game would take a considerable commitment, I'm going to have to carefully read your rules/instructions and think about this a while before making a decision.
Online, it will take some commitment, yes, simply because people are going to take a lot longer to respond than if they were sitting together doing nothing but playing the game.

As a face-to-face, pencil-and-paper game, how long it'll take will depend largely on where you and the other players set the credit limit. Two cheap ships (300c or under) duking it out could probably finish in an hour or two. Maybe. I haven't tested even that much.
I'm only started with reading, so the answer to this question may already be spelled out, but: Is much math involved? (Math of a complexity that many, especially you, Dave, consider trivial is completely beyond me.)
Addition and subtraction are absolutely required. Division is needed for figuring out the size of a ship's frame. And both multiplication and division are needed for some of the more RPG-like aspects of the game, which we probably won't get into online.

Now that you've brought that up, I should probably just stick a table in there for determining ship frame size, eliminate a division and in the end, better clarify the boundaries of frame size requirements. So thanks, Mooner, you've already helped improve the rules.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  23:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I could work with that. I'll have a decision soon.

Also, is fighting the only activity? Is the any colonization or trading possible?

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  03:28:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Online, it will take some commitment, yes, simply because people are going to take a lot longer to respond than if they were sitting together doing nothing but playing the game.

Well, that's what voice chat and virtual tabletop programs are for.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  05:37:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Dave I don't have the time to commit to an online game however as a game designer I would be happy to peruse what you have and look for corrections and give my opinions about it.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:28:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

Well, that's what voice chat and virtual tabletop programs are for.
That's fine for people who have such things. I was thinking about playing within a thread on this forum.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Well Dave I don't have the time to commit to an online game however as a game designer I would be happy to peruse what you have and look for corrections and give my opinions about it.
Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  09:03:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to find out whether I can successfully design my Schrödinger's Cat.

I want the Cat to be a small, fast and stealthy ship with little armor or weaponry (gotta trade off something), great sensors and a powerful computer. First, I'm just making a text list of what I want. Next, I'll try to roll it all into existence. I'm too tired to understand your rules fully at the moment, though.

I think you can count me in. If I cop out later, I'll try to do so early on.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  09:33:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck, Mooner. I'm glad to see that you're into this.

We should probably set a credit limit for a test game here. I'm thinking 500 credits. That's enough to get creative, but not so much that the game will go on for months. And let's leave the oversized ships out of it for now.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  16:33:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a ship that I will call Two Tough:

Cst Component     u Atts        Hitlc Dm Curr Atts
--- ------------- - ----------- ----- -- -----------
 25 Bridge        2 1AP/2TG     01-02 OO AP: O
 25 Crew A        2 1AP/2TG     03-04 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt A  2 1BP/2TG     05-06 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter A 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 07-08 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew B        2 1AP/2TG     19-10 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt B  2 1BP/2TG     11-12 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter B 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 13-14 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew C        2 1AP/2TG     15-16 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt C  2 1BP/2TG     17-18 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter C 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 19-20 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew D        2 1AP/2TG     21-22 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt D  2 1BP/2TG     23-24 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter D 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 25-26 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew E        2 1AP/2TG     27-28 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt E  2 1BP/2TG     29-30 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter E 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 31-32 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew F        2 1AP/2TG     33-34 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt F  2 1BP/2TG     35-36 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter F 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 37-38 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew G        2 1AP/2TG     39-40 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt G  2 1BP/2TG     41-42 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter G 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 43-44 OO PW: O AC: O
 10 Life Spprt H  2 1BP/2TG     45-46 OO BP: O
 25 Engineering   2 1RP/2TG     47-48 OO RP: O
 65 Gyroboost     7 6MN/1TH/2TG 49-55 OO MN: OOOOOO TH: O
 20 Frame         4 2TG         56-59 OO
--- ------------- - ----------- ----- -- -----------
495 Totals       59

I don't expect it'll last two long. Hahahaha.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  22:36:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've realized, in the past few hours, that I'll have to redo the way shields are handled. Right now, shields basically act as extra toughness for all components, but since it all can get blown away in a single blast from a big weapon, it may not be worth the costs. A 4-PR shield is only good against a 4-PR weapon once, and then the shielded ship needs to start spending AP like crazy to rebuild the shield from zero.

I think I need to change it so that attacks against a shielded ship have their power reduced by the shield's PR (as they are now), but that they only reduce the shield's PR by 1, regardless of what the weapon's PW was. Against 1-PW weapons, the result would be the same as it is now, but against larger weapons, the shields would have their effectiveness reduced over time, instead of having the shields become worthless after a single hit.

Perhaps have the shield lose 2 PR if the weapon's PW was twice (or more) the shield's PR, so that massive weapons will demolish a shield faster than tiny weapons.

I'm not sure. I'm going to have to think on this some more.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave I would think shield effectiveness would be lost on an exponentially increasing scale. One hit from a large weapon would damage the shield by x% by a second hit would damage shield effectiveness by a greater %. In effect bringing shield efficiency down more quickly, however the amount of time between hits say a miss would allow return of some shield effectiveness. Way too much math for this kid. Perhaps a preset graphing system that would allow one to more quickly figure shield loss vs return to 100% effective use.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:46:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Trish

Dave I would think shield effectiveness would be lost on an exponentially increasing scale. One hit from a large weapon would damage the shield by x% by a second hit would damage shield effectiveness by a greater %. In effect bringing shield efficiency down more quickly, however the amount of time between hits say a miss would allow return of some shield effectiveness. Way too much math for this kid. Perhaps a preset graphing system that would allow one to more quickly figure shield loss vs return to 100% effective use.
The way I'm thinking about it now, it would automatically work like that, sort of, without any more math than subtraction:

If a weapon with a power of 4 hits a ship with a shield with a PR of 4, no damage would get through, and the shield would go down to 3 PR.

A second hit from the same weapon would allow 1 point of damage through, and the shield would drop to 2 PR.

A third hit from the same weapon would allow 2 points of damage through, and the shield would drop to 1 PR.

A fourth hit would allow 3 points through, the shield would drop to 0 PR and the shield component itself would take a point of damage. Any further hits while the shield is at 0 PR would allow 100% of the damage through to the ship, of course.

At any time during all that, if the targeted ship gets a turn, the player could spend one AP to restore one PR, provided the ship has a functioning maintenance component. In fact, if the ship has lots of extra AP and lots of RP, the player could restore lots of shield PR, but wouldn't be able to do as many other things (like attacking back).

But the way the rules are written right now, that first hit would drop the shield PR to 0, and 100% of the subsequent damage would get through.

Oh, and in this game, shields don't automatically get restored over time. The guys down in engineering need to do their fancy power-diversion stuff to reinforce the shields.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the game occurs in "rounds" have a shield regeneration effect. Systems can be purchased to increase regeneration rate. That way a billion little fighters could take down a juggernaught eventually. You could also offer benefits for accepting "design flaws." A critical design flaw might provide significant advantage, but result in a possible critical strike.

Other benefits might include improved performance for some systems or reduced credit costs for cutting corners.
You could permit "linking systems" which might reduce costs or increase ability, but might make systems dependent on each other.

Design flaws and linked systems would allow for scanner (and countering ECM systems) for role-play purposes.

An old game, Star Control 2, had a surprisingly elegant way of dealing with ship damage. Each ship had crew and as hits were scored, crew members were lost. At 0 crew the ship went BOOM!

- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 09/02/2009 14:57:10
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  15:00:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I go to the link http://www.psorsite.com/fun/myoss.html , I don't see any game at all?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.