Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  04:26:18  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before the sun sets on this day, there will be millions of words written and spoken of it. Indeed, many of them already have been, so I will hold mine back and give you these:
The Republicans had a chance to join Camelot and instead take the boat to Lilliput
Posted by grantcart in General Discussion: Presidential
Wed Sep 09th 2009, 10:24 PM

The President's speech, part tutorial, part history lesson, also included a headmaster's dressing down for the naughty nasty boys who have been smoking behind the gym.

The strong summary of the whole Health Care Reform will be discussed elsewhere but another story also played out, sometimes in painful detail, were the Republicans who exposed themselves as a group of adolescents in aging chalky white bodies approaching a near cadaver state.

The President, the First Gentleman, with the graceful First Lady, Dr. Biden, and Mrs. Kennedy watching reached out to those who question his nationality and his ability to give school children an innocent pep talk with a friendly, professional and civil tone and an open hand.

Having been offered a seat at King Arthur's round table where civil people talk honestly about their concerns and how to best solve the problems of the people they reperesent, they instead got on a ship and in front of the entire country chose to go to Lilliput instead.

You remember the Jonathan Swift classic where the hero is dispatched from the safety of his ship during a storm and finds himself in a land where people are 1/12th normal size.

It originated as a parable of the smallness of people in government and tonight the Republicans acted it out.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  05:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know you live in a fascist state when an ordinary civil servant can shout that the President is lying and face no threat to his health or well-being, because civility and tolerance of dissent are the hallmarks of all dangerous totalitarian regimes, right? Right?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  05:35:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

You know you live in a fascist state when an ordinary civil servant can shout that the President is lying and face no threat to his health or well-being, because civility and tolerance of dissent are the hallmarks of all dangerous totalitarian regimes, right? Right?
Yes....

I loved the look on Obama's face when Joe Wilson (R-Catalanky)shouted it out and the crowd almost went silent. I would not like to have him look at me like that. On a brighter note, I've read that Mr. Wilson's opponent in the next election almost instantly received some $11,000 in donations, and that opponent got an excellent, campaign talking point in the bargain. I'm sure the dollar figure is higher by now. Even we rednecks hate to be embarrassed by the stoopids among us, especially if we ourselves were stoopid enough to put them in office.

The Rude Pundit live blogged it as only he can:
9/09/2009
Live Whiskey-Blogging the President's Health Care Speech:
So here we are, once again, the Evan Williams on the coffee table, the tumbler with two fingers in it to start (oh, it'll be a fist of whiskey by the end), the CSPAN on the TV since the Rude Pundit can't stomach any of the news networks pulling out quotes to keep below the President on screen like comic strip bubbles for the ignorant. What's the over/under on standing o's? And what about Republican boos? (Please let there be Republican boos.)

And away we go (all quotes pretty much guaranteed to be wrong in wording, but correct in spirit):

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/10/2009 05:38:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I loved the look on Obama's face when Joe Wilson (R-Catalanky)shouted it out and the crowd almost went silent. I would not like to have him look at me like that.
Remember when Obama looked at that fly the same way, just before he swatted it?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:51:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a jerk Joe Wilson is. The least he could have done, if he didn't want to come off like a complete idiot, was to shout "liar" at some part of the speech that left room for a different interpretation of the bill that is being written.

Apparently, Joe Wilson can't even read.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  09:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read Kil? You don't think these fuckers are going to read a single word of it, do you?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  10:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think poor Joe Wilson was just confused. Probably thought he was at a town hall meeting.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  10:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The plot thins....

link
During President Obama's address on health insurance reform to a joint session of Congress last night, he observed that some people have been spreading bad information about his proposal — and that contrary to what's been said it would not cover illegal immigrants.

At that point the president was interrupted by Rep. Addison Graves “Joe” Wilson (right), a Republican from South Carolina.

“You lie!” Wilson shouted from the crowd.

Obama paused for a moment before continuing his address as Wilson's colleagues looked on in shock following the breach of protocol.

Whether because of his outspokenness or in spite of it, Wilson is a major recipient of contributions from the health care industry.

In fact, over his entire congressional career, health professionals represent Wilson's top industry contributors, donating a total of $244,196 to his campaign, according to the Center for Responsive Politics OpenSecrets.org database. He received another $86,150 from pharmaceutical companies, $73,050 from insurance companies and $68,000 from hospitals and nursing homes.

Among Wilson's top contributors are the American Hospital Association, a lobby group that represents the interests of hospitals and health networks, and the American Medical Association, which represents physicians.

During a post-speech interview with CNN's Larry King, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Wilson should apologize, calling his behavior “totally disrespectful.” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky told the New York Times that Wilson's behavior was “not appropriate.”

Wilson's office later issued an apology for the outburst:
Read on; this guy really is a total douche.

But the douche news ain't all bad; in fact, some of it is pretty good....
Opponent of 'You Lie' Rep. raises $96,000 overnight

The opponent of GOP Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC), who yelled "You lie!" at President Barack Obama during his speech to Congress on healthcare, has raised more than $96,000 from online donors since Wednesday evening.

And on top of all that, even the Republicans are highly pissed at the douche, as should be everyone. Tar and feathers, I say; tar and feathers after a public touch o' the cat! Won't get it o' course, but just mayhaps....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  10:59:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

On a brighter note, I've read that Mr. Wilson's opponent in the next election almost instantly received some $11,000 in donations,...

I wouldn't bet against Wilson's bank account instantly growing by about a hundred times more than that due to a secret payoff promised by a health care company beforehand, to be paid once he screamed 'liar'.

Not that I'm a cynical bastard or anything.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  11:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Joe Wilson is a prototypical example of the intelligensia that populate the Republican ranks. He is indeed one bright star in their firmament along with Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and Glenn Beck.

I would wager that their combined IQ's would exceed three digits!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rat.....

I agree that dickanus Joe Wilson is no doubt paid handsomely for his efforts in Congress to assist the health care industry, but his outrageous outburst during a presidential address is probably going to hurt Republicans and their bribery from the healthcare companies more than he has helped them with his rude, crude, and barbarian shout-out at the president! This is definitely lousy PR, and will come back in their face in the next elections!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:28:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep...You all had to know that this was coming... I've posted a few of their comments, some with comments of my own following.

Be warned, this is a complete rant due to my just getting off a 12-hour shift and I'm not in a real good mood. If the mods want, I'll edit out the cuss words later (or maybe put more in??)

Some examples:

lovinlife4

I loved it!! He was speaking his mind. Pelosi's face was priceless, gritting her teeth, LOL!!
Bush was booed and heckled constantly from those on the left and it's about time someone stood up!! I could watch the clip over and over!

That person never listed any examples where Bush got heckled when he was giving a speech in their house of representatives as Obama was...

MyJesusILoveThee

i'm anxious to see if glenn beck goes off on this-he cracks me up....love him!

go, joe!

RecordKeeper

I don't agree that Wilson was out of place. Where better to be heard by O, lawmakers and the voters and to tell the truth about the lies Emperor O has been telling us?

I called today to tell Wilson he is my new hero and thanked him.

MyJesusILoveThee

wilson was just speaking up for the rest of us who think the same thing....while i think it was out of place, what about all of the dems who would boo bush all the time? i mean, reallly!

Really, LOOK at all that Bush DID, you dumb bint! Let's see...started a war based on a lie (WMDs, remember?), said that the New Orleans dikes were good enough despite being warned ahead of time that they weren't, the "faith-based" bullshit which throws taxpayer money to xian religious groups despite no actual evidence that that shit works, etc.

Yes. Like Daniel Hannon calling Gordon Brown "devalued." Loved it.

Perhaps Wilson's outburst is breaking protocol in the hallowed halls, but I think it speaks clearly to the level of frustration Obama has induced in many of us. Had I been there, I'd have given Wilson a standing ovation.

And if I had been there, and had been able to reach him, I'd have pushed the fucker down in his seat and told him to fucking wait until the speech was over before acting like an ass! Jebus...does anyone know if the dems acted like this when Bush gave speeches to Congress??

Anyway, on the the "frustration" that Obama's causing: Uh, no. Obama's not the one causing the frustration you brainless git...It's you people making shit up about what he wants to do (and using those lies to compare his plan to fucking NAZISM) is what is frustrating...Obama is trying to straighten you brainless god-damned dolts out because he actually has enough empathy to try to give people a slightly better health care system.

Obama isn't the one who's causing frustration over his birth certificate...again, that's you assholes who, even though the State of Hawaii where the guy was born has no problem with the certificate he has, are running around asking him to show the certificate, even though it's on public bloody record!

Frustration is caused by the hypocrisy revealed by the "right" when they publish books that call "liberals" traitors for not blindly supporting Bush, yet, as soon as Obama takes office, you people are openly stating that you hope Obama "fails" (Limbaugh) and actually call people to pray for Obama to fail (Farah of WND).

Frustration is also caused by people (I'm using the term loosely here because I SUCK at taxonomy and I don't know what fuck kind of animal Limbaugh) is, where he calls it an "Obama" depression before the man takes office, while ignoring the BILLIONS of fuck dollars thrown away on Bush's unnecessary war, and the Repugs (and some Dems, I know) overseeing the current financial mess!

Frustration is being called a liar by the very people whose constant bullshittery is threatening a health care bill that's mean to help out their
fellow citizens, including the ones lying about it.

You say he's lying, then show it! You say he's setting up "death panels" in his plan, then show it! At least with Bush's lie about WMDs it did come to light that, yeah, there weren't any. They checked it out. And still went to war.

peaceseeker

Did you see Princess Pelosi's reaction to the 'you lie' shout? It was priceless.

Also, this is ALL that CNN is reporting this morning. They are making a bigger deal of the booing and 'you lie' shout than about bo's 'speech' itself

Because the speech itself was just the guy trying to straighten out the bs that you people keep dishing out, and he was trying to get both sides to work together but your "hero" acted like a bloody grade-schooler during a speech to the House of Representatives. He didn't even have the brains or the politeness to wait until after and lie about it then!

BelovedofChrist

Speak up America! Obama and his minions counted on that tradition of politeness and respect when he spoke last night. Many pundits later said that Mr. Wilson should have spoken to the press outside of those hallowed halls instead of interrupting. So, let's pretend he held his tongue and later in the evening told reporters what he felt: "Obama's a Liar!" How many people would have been able to read or hear his opinion? [crickets chirping]. Perhaps that outburst scattered some seeds of doubt among the people.
I LOVE how Americans conduct themselves politely in the House and Senate! But, this president is trying to dismantle our Constitution.

Ok, shit. I have to interrupt here. Who's the guy who set up federally funded religiously "faith-based" organizations? Who's the guy who set up torture? Who's the guy who came up with the "Patriot Act"? So, what parts of the constitution is Obama "dismantling" again?

Ok, back to the brainlessness...

Many of his predecessors have been lousy, but none of them actually hated this country and the things that we stand (stood?) for.

Interrupting again...so Obama hates the country so much that he gave a speech encouraging kids to study more and that there's no excuse NOT to, and he's trying to provide healthcare to people?

While Bush, who threw away tens of thousands of soldiers lives and billions of dollars on a war whose cause was a lie, loved the USA??

Now is the time to yell 'Fire' in the crowded theater! When we are again a working Republic, and have all of our rights restored, then we can sit quietly and listen respectfully to dissenting opinions.

Except on your board where people get banned for daring to disagree with you guys! (Just read on in that thread)

P.S. I spent most of my time yelling 'Liar!' out too!!

Funny, that's what we did whenever we heard about the "weapons of mass destruction" that your country went to war over. Not that it did any good, either for all the people who died in it, the billions of dollars wasted, and the squandering of any good will that your country had in the middle east...

Any chance that any of you fucktards will ever say that about Bush? [crickets chirping]

Thought not.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 09/10/2009 12:47:39
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:48:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously the_ignored, you need to stop reading Rapture Ready.
It's not good for neither your blood pressure nor mental health.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:40:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'Wilson incident' illustrates a major difference between American and Canadian politics. Anyone who has seen our legislature in action knows that heckling and catcalls are a constant part of the procedure, and it can be a withering crossfire. But some things are off-limits, and if any member calls another a liar it is considered unparliamentary and the Speaker will take immediate action. At the very least an apology must be given, otherwise the offender will not be allowed back in the house.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  19:07:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the dynamic driving the GOP into its ever-accelerating death spiral is the fact that actual elected people like Joe Wilson, Michele Bachmann, and Sarah Palin become heroes to the wingnuts when they say or do absurd or offensive things.

A smaller and smaller minority of increasingly louder and crazier people are forcing the suicide of the Party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower. Their very heroes are pariahs to about two-thirds of the electorate, (Palin was the most obvious cause of McCain's defeat by Obama.) The GOP has slid own the slope and is presently an actually Fascist party.

Let me state that gain: The Republican part is a Fascist party. No, it is not formally Fascist its written principles, nor is it openly so, but functionally it has become about as Fascist as Mussolini. When viewed in this light, it becomes clear why the GOP uses shouting and intimidation to quash the voice of opponents, and any real debate. That is why screams of "You lie!," "Nazi!" and "Fascist!" come from their mouths. They are projecting, and creating a smoke screen for their own extremism. Thinking of the GOP as Fascist actually is an aid in understanding it.

As the people finally did with the Bushies, most people are now quite aware of the GOP's extremism, and largely reject it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  19:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

The 'Wilson incident' illustrates a major difference between American and Canadian politics. Anyone who has seen our legislature in action knows that heckling and catcalls are a constant part of the procedure, and it can be a withering crossfire. But some things are off-limits, and if any member calls another a liar it is considered unparliamentary and the Speaker will take immediate action. At the very least an apology must be given, otherwise the offender will not be allowed back in the house.

Yep. In Canada, the PM sits in the Legislature along with all the other members of Parliament. In the States, the President does not. He appears before them quite a lot, but it's not his normal daily routine.

Though it's obvious that this is a more unique occasion than just any speech...Obama took time out to try to settle this issue, and this is what happens.

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Seriously the_ignored, you need to stop reading Rapture Ready.
It's not good for neither your blood pressure nor mental health.

Yeah. Though I admit it is fun after a long work set to vent and just tear into a well deserving target.

No offense to our american friends, but I am so glad I do not live there! This is just comedy to us in the rest of the world, but imagine having to deal with such people when you have no choice, like poor Obama does!

Mind you, our political parties are becoming idiots too. We've had what...four elections in five years due to non-confidence votes and whatnot? Now the opposition parties are threatening to do the same thing again. Nothing is getting done; they're all just angling for power.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 09/10/2009 19:17:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.