Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  13:53:21  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no cure for stupidity because stupid people want to be srupid. They like it. They flaunt it, dragging their assininity out into the public arena for all to see. The pride they take in in being ignorant to the bone and their inability to raise themeselves from that deplorable state is huge. Being stupid is, to them, the ultimate intellectual goal to aspire to, and no one should try and reach higher -- be a nerd or an egghead. George W. Bush was their president. They loved him as their own, and he was, indeed, their own. And there are plenty more stupids out there vieing for his place in their mindless hero-worship -- we all know who they are.

The worst part is that because they are stupid, they think that everyone else should be equally stupid. Currently, they are demonstrating their stupidity in the guise of carrying signs of garbled message about the cities and town of the nation, making no sense but expecting the rest of us to accept them at their word.

They are worthy of contempt, not for their cause but for their willingness to work against the nation's and by extention their own best interests. In short, they are fucking stupid and will ever be so.

What is it about stupidity that America seems to love so much?

This glorification of stupidity has been consistently promulgated by films like Dumb and Dumber, Legally Blonde, Dude, Where's My Car, Idiocracy, Borat and - god help me - Forrest Gump. We Americans love stoopid peepul. As much as I enjoy the series Eureka, it's telling that in a town full of geniuses, the schtick is that it's the not-genius sheriff (at least he isn't portrayed as a slapstick idiot) who usually solves the problem by either shooting it, whacking it with a stick or driving his Jeep into it. The geniuses are stereotyped as bumbling, socially inadequate, skinny, malformed, couldn't get laid if their Nobel Prize depended on it geeks. (Not helped that Bill Gates fits the physical profile). Real life geniuses, like John Forbes Nash, are presented as more cautionary tales - See? See? That's what happens if you get too smart, you become paranoid and go insane. Told ya so. Pass the popcorn, Ma...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  18:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to take a small issue with the OP's title, there are the Darwin Awards.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  18:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best one I've seen, H/T Denialism Blog:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  18:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Best one I've seen, H/T Denialism Blog:

Do two fails make one bright?

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  18:49:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as a skeptic, that sign could have been photoshopped. However you give me opportunity to give a few thoughts on the subject of stupid and receive feedback. As far as the subject of "stupid people" goes, which I have given some thought, I would like to say, do not confused intelligence with stupidity. I propose people are neither stupid or not but there are stupid actions. Intelligent people are not immune to doing something stupid. If someone who does a act that is in fact stupid, what defines the action stupid is when the consequences of the action to the actor is undesirable. For example: We all know how many very intelligent women (men to) who have have made very stupid mate selections, to their horror once realized. Some of us are guilty or know personally someone how has. Now although intelligence can reduce the frequency of performing stupid acts. It is not a controlling factor. What ever the case, I find it's safest to pay attention, identify those who repedaly do stupid things and keep your contact time to a minimum. It is quite possible that the consequences of their actions whether it affect them, can possibly also affect those around them, namely you. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  01:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I contend that, by and large, most Republican party line voters are stupid.

I also contend that, by far for the most part, devout Christians, Muslims, and Jews are stupid people.

Frequently, these groups overlap into stupid Republicans, devout Christian morons, etc.

By "stupid", I mean (again, taken as a whole) less intelligent than Liberals or atheist/agnostics. Also, less intelligent as would be measured by any or all of the commonly used intelligence tests (Wechsler, Stanford-Binet 5, Wonderlic, Ravens, etc.)

Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person's intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena. Although considerable clarity has been achieved in some areas, no such conceptualization has yet answered all the important questions and none commands universal assent. Indeed, when two dozen prominent theorists were recently asked to define intelligence, they gave two dozen somewhat different definitions.[
AND
A very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on", "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.[

These are from wiki on "Intelligence". There are many more. Mostly, 'you may not be able to define it, but you know it when you encounter it'

However defined, even by "common sense" , my contention is that rabid Republicans and devout believers in the Abrahamic religions and most, if not all, other formalized belief system religions, are less intelligent -- stupider -- than those whose nature and life philosophy is that of a political liberal and/or a religious atheist or agnostic.

I know how Dude feels about this. Anyone else care to expound?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  02:56:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Republicans, fundamentalists, etc., are inherently stupid. Many people are capable of being quite intelligent in areas that do not directly impact their political or religious beliefs. (Engineers, for example, are often brilliant people in their field, yet sometimes hold to "stupid" ideas in political or religious arenas.)

But I do think that the GOP has attracted certifiable idiots in droves in recent years. That's a self-selecting result of having so long appealed to idiots with moronic oversimplifications, anti-intellectualism, and a deliberate, cynical promotion of simple-minded people like George W. Bush, "Joe the Plumber," and Sarah Palin as icons. (The de facto Republican leader is Rush Limbaugh, who arrogantly and laughingly refers to the loyalest of his followers as "Dittoheads," all the while knowing most of them are too dumb to be offended.)

Put yourself in the place of an idiot. Now, which party appeals best to you? The GOP is the hands-down choice. Now go join the other knuckle-draggers like you who are milling around in it.

Likewise, there is a strong tendency for intelligent people to self-select towards the other party.

These massive self-selections do significantly tilt the relative mean intelligence levels of the members of the political parties, I suspect.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/14/2009 03:11:01
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  06:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often hear people pointing to the Canadian system as a failure, and an example of what not to do. Let's see...

Canada has a lower infant mortality rate.

Canadians are rated as healthier.

Canadians have a longer life expectancy.

Canadians pay less per capita for health care.

Yep, we sure is FAILING up here in the frozen wastes.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  09:25:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

I often hear people pointing to the Canadian system as a failure, and an example of what not to do. Let's see...

Canada has a lower infant mortality rate.

Because the weak ones already froze to death in the womb.

Canadians are rated as healthier.

Than what? Hosers?

Canadians have a longer life expectancy.

A mixed blessing, considering where that "life" has to take place.

Canadians pay less per capita for health care.

You get what you pay for. (See previous.)

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  10:40:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner......

I said:
I contend that, by and large, most Republican party line voters are stupid.
You said:
there is a strong tendency for intelligent people to self-select towards the other party.

These massive self-selections do significantly tilt the relative mean intelligence levels of the members of the political parties, I suspect.
I suspect that means that we agree strongly on the premise that most Republican party-line voters are stupid.
I also said:
I also contend that, by far for the most part, devout Christians, Muslims, and Jews are stupid people.
How do you feel about that?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  12:25:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sentiments exactly!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  13:17:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
(Engineers, for example, are often brilliant people in their field, yet sometimes hold to "stupid" ideas in political or religious arenas.)

I read an article in New Scientist a while back where they had tried to find a common denominator for which sort of person would become a suicide bomber. Turns out they had few things in common - apart from the fact that engineers were highly over-represented.

Engineers also seem over-represented among ID supporters. Sooo... ID supporters are more likely to become suicide bombers. I.e. they are dangerous and should be stopped before it's too late.

Sorry, I'm just a bit bored and feeling slightly less than intelligent today.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  16:32:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Engineers, for example, are often brilliant people in their field, yet sometimes hold to "stupid" ideas in political or religious arenas...)

As with Hawks I've wondered about that after noticing that when political arguments erupt over at the Bad Astronomy blog, the rightwing morons tend to sometimes identify themselves as engineers whereas the more liberal types tend to be scientists.

(That's just something I noticed after a while - there are of course exceptions, I'm sure.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  17:04:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Bill Dembski has a PhD in chemical engineering. I don't know if that means anything or not.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  18:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[br}]Likewise, there is a strong tendency for intelligent people to self-select towards the other party.

Hmm, so where does that place me? Since I, like most of my native fellows in CO, am registered as a Non Affiliated voter. Meaning I don't belong to any political party. Although this may have changed in recent years.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  18:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Trish

Hmm, so where does that place me? Since I, like most of my native fellows in CO, am registered as a Non Affiliated voter. Meaning I don't belong to any political party. Although this may have changed in recent years.
Just heard a bit on NPR this morning saying that polling indicates that these days we have the largest percentage of "independents" since polling on political-party affiliation began in the 1960s. They didn't say what that percentage is, but overall there are more of us "non-affiliated" folks now than in the last 40+ years.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.