Blasphemy Day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  23:00:12  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is now Blasphemy Day.

Welcome to the day intended to celebrate the right to say whatever we want about whatever we want. It is a celebration of freedom of inquiry and the scope of critique. We, even in this "liberal" haven, disagree on many things, but hopefully we can at least agree on the right to disagree.

For my own part, I will be taking part in the Blasphemy Day celebrations hosted by the Saskatoon Freethinkers. Hopefully, many of you have found some way to celebrate as well. You could do it as an opportunity to poke fun at religion, as a public defence of freedom of speech (this is the anniversary of the Mohammed Cartoons) and in direct defiance of the OIC's attempt to ram blasphemy laws down the throats of freedom-loving nations worldwide. Or you could, like me intend to partake in a debaptism to reclaim your humanity from the church.

If any of you follow the friendly atheist, you may have just noticed we received mention for our bus ads in Saskatoon. I guess our bus ads are "friendlier" than most. ;)

http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/09/29/atheist-bus-campaign-in-saskatoon/

Take from it what you will, or not as you wish. Say what you will; we blasphemers see that as your right.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  08:12:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But there is no joy in Ireland on this most auspicious of days.

I would like to say I've blasphemed heartily this morning; well, I have, but it was little different from an ordinary day. I'll try to pick up the pace this afternoon, but, y'see, the trick is in deciding which deityicious dork to blaspheme at. It won't do to go after them all because then your blasphemy gets spread too thin and loses it's bite. And I've blasphemed the Abrahamic collection of Scared Scumbags so much, I'm running out of material. And I rather like the Buddhists, so what to do; what to do?

Well, I'll think of something....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  11:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My problem with blaspheming is that as a non-believer, how can I blaspheme? Will it count? And to whom or what will it count?

Cursing a broken string on one of my guitars makes more sense. At least my hostility is directed at something real.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  11:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it's just like yesterday?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  12:14:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

So it's just like yesterday?
And tomorrow as well...

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  13:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, Kil. I make mention of that in my taped "denying the holy spirit" moment. "It seems rather odd to be denying something that doesn't exist." Nevertheless, here I am, no longer burdened by the metaphysical weight of nothingness with emotive content. I took the opportunity to affirm my humanity.

I am a firm respecter of the power of symbols, more so than most I suspect. That's why I rarely truck with them, but in this case I'll make an exception. We can be cynical; we can offer criticisms (as opposed to critiques), but the one thing we cannot afford to be is silent.

Just like yesterday and just like tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  10:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God dammit! I missed blasphemy day.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  13:07:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blasphemy according to the Skeptic's Dictionary.

Blasphemy is insulting, contemptuous, or irreverent speech or behavior toward God or something considered sacred.

Finding examples is quite easy because most religious people are easily offended when one of their sacred cows is gored. On the other hand, what some find blasphemous, others find inoffensive.

Christians became quite upset when Andres Serrano displayed a crucifix in a jar of urine. Chris Ofili offended many people with his "Holy Virgin Mary," a painting utilizing elephant dung and other offensive items.

And it can even get dangerous, as history and current events in the lands of Al & Moe tell us.

This is serious. The Muslim maniacs have a privilege that the Christian cobblepots sorely lack, as they are outlawed from this sort of thing. They have to content themselves with feeble, little Phelps-style clown shows that impress few and scares no one. But if they get a theocracy together now, that could quickly change.

They're workin' on it...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  14:57:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect excesses of blasphemy will serve, after the initial shock, to desensitize people. There are a very great many people who need desensitizing.

Edited by - dglas on 10/02/2009 14:57:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.