Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Preachmen peddling god at my community college.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  06:28:24  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only place where I live that I can be openly atheist is at my school, Alamance Community College in Graham, NC. It is a safe haven to discuss my views without worrying about repercussions.

Well this might be changing. As I was going to the cafeteria to get a coffee last night, I noticed at the FRONT ENTRANCE of the school, three boxes of the KJV of the bible sitting there. I thought to myself "What the hell is this." At this time, I didn't notice god's evil doers lurking about.

I got my coffee and went back outside to smoke my cigarette in the gazebo about 100 feet away from the entrance. This is when I noticed two men at the front entrance of the main building and one man at the entrance of the Biotechnology building. They were stopping everyone coming through and passing on these bibles that I noticed earlier.

I asked my friend Heather, "What's up with the preachermen?" She told me that they have been there all day. Another girl told me that they asked her if she repented for her sins and she was glad that at least the Biotechnology building has a side entrance. As they are telling me this I observe just how aggressive these god pushers were at passing out the bibles.

I became furious. These bastards are on my territory! I gave myself a few minutes to think about how I was going to confront them. This would be my first real time to call "Bullshit" on religion in public.

I decided to go to the two men at the front entrance of the main building. There were more students passing by there that might over hear this conversation I was about to have. Though looking back the students might have been glad I was there because I got the preachermen's attention away from them.

Anyhow, this is how it went. P1=Preacherman 1 P2=Preacherman 2

Me: Hello there!
P1: Tries to hand me a bible.
Me: I pass it back and said, "No thank you. I have a really nice copy at home.
Me: What denomination are you?
P1: We represent all denominations.
Me: No...What denomination are YOU?
P1: Baptist
Me: And you preacherman 2?
P2: Baptist
Me: What are you all doing here?
P1: We're spreading gods' word.
Me: Really? You have proof for this god?
P1: Yes. It is in this book.
Me: Really? Do you know that the creation account in Genesis, chapter 2 contradicts the creation account in chapter 1?
P1: No. I am not a theologian.
P2: No.
Me: (blown away by their ignorance) Really? Let me show you.
P1: That chapter isn't in these books. (This is when I realize that the bibles they were passing out were of the new testament only).
Me: What!? You don't even have the whole book! How can you claim that you have proof of god with a book that isn't even complete!

This is when the cowards walked away from me. I let them go, being a little disappointed as to how this went.

This is bullshit and I am mad as hell.

I am going to who ever it is I need to, to complain about this pitiful display of insecurity that education brings to religion.

I am thinking about going back to see if they are there again today. I am going to be armed with my bible, which has many verses highlighted and lots of notes taken. I am going for their throats. I am also thinking about handing out copies of "Do you honestly follow Christian doctrine?" right beside them.

I deal with pushy Christians on a daily basis in a public setting at work. I can't call bullshit there for fear of loosing my job. I pass more churches on my way to work then I do schools, convenient stores and shopping centers combined. Everywhere I look, I see Jesus this and God that.

Even though, there are many cross wearing Christians attending my school, it is the only place I can go and be a freethinker, skeptic, naturalist, and atheist, without fear of repercussions.

These men peddling god have come to a place that isn't just Christian, they have entered a place that Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Hindu, Buddhists, Wiccans, Deists, and Atheists attend. Maybe I should get some of them together to fight the men that are making even Christians feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for letting me rant. And if you all have any ideas about how to deal with this, please pass them on.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.

Edited by - River Otter on 10/07/2009 06:31:05

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  06:58:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank for the rant, River Otter. I know you feel that your territory was invaded, but what really happened is that your school is a demilitarized zone of sorts, where everyone can be any kind of asshole he or she wants to be, within limits. Naturally, your campus being your only really comfortable space, you got rather defensive about the appearance of an invasion. Can't blame you.

You did really well in driving those guys away, if only temporarily. Exposing their Baptist denialism and their ignorance of their own creed was delicious!

These people should never be allowed to feel that they dominate any area outside their homes or church properties. When they are allowed to feel dominant, they get right uppity about it. For them it's a short distance between them being quietly tolerated by others, and them being in a position to hand out intolerance of their own.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  07:23:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks HalfMooner. Though I was disappointed that I couldn't get more of a rise out of them, it felt wonderful to make them squirm. I will do it again if they are there this afternoon.

Are community colleges considered public schools? Could this be a violation of church and state? Would it do any good complaining to someone in charge at school? I am going to complain anyway, but just wondering.

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  07:40:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by River Otter

Are community colleges considered public schools? Could this be a violation of church and state? Would it do any good complaining to someone in charge at school? I am going to complain anyway, but just wondering.
It'd only be a First Amendment violation if the preachermen are there at the behest of the school administrators. There's nothing unconstitutional about students proselytizing other students.

Of course, if they're not students, and their presence causes enough of a disturbance, then the school administrators might look into charging them with trespassing.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  07:58:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave for your response.

The people handing out the bibles are NOT students. They are a bunch of old men in suits. Supposedly representing "all" denominations.

I am going to the administrators today.

Go to Top of Page

AnthroGeek

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  10:03:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AnthroGeek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by River Otter

Thanks for letting me rant. And if you all have any ideas about how to deal with this, please pass them on.

If you want to try and be more proactive you might want to check out a You-tube user by the th3w01fv2. He has a series of videos up on his channel with suggestions on how deal with such bottom feeders as open air preachers.

Here is a link to his play list. I have not had the opportunity to put his ideas into practice but they seem pretty good on the surface. At least it might just give you a few more options.

Keep up the good fight.

A series of fun one-liners about various pseudoscientific claims and, even better, a concise description of the scientific method - Ken Feder on Skeptic Friends Network from "Frauds, Myths and Mysteries"
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  09:29:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway; good job on answering the preachiness with smart and a deeper knowledge of the book than these fools have.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  18:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link AnthroGeek. I will check them out in case Yahweh's goons come back.

I haven't seen them since Tuesday. I hope they come back. I want to expose these guys for the frauds that they are.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  06:45:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bravo,bravo, River Otter. I got a suggestion, how about being armed and shooting them dirt bags, with a camera or cell phone.First from a distance and the up close. Whether there hearts are filled with love or lies and deceit will show in their reactions. Then check out the school paper and see if you can find any like minded spirits working there who might like to report on this. Also, ask the administrator just what he might do if anything. If you've already complained to the administration, you might consider going back after a time and inquire what they have or plan to do to address this issue. Your right not to take this lightly. They are con artists trying to recruit more fools like themselves who will either provide free labor or money for their own church. If their god is so all knowing, all powerful why does he need time or money from students. Religion isn't the answer, it is the problem. Go get'em! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  10:56:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both AnthroGeek & sailingsoul.

I have checked out the video's you linked AnthroGeek. The 9th and 10th video have given my some good ideas and backed up ideas I already had.

The idea of not confronting them, but neutralizing their arguments might just work along with getting the atheists point of view out there. It might take some practice before it becomes effective.

sailingsoul, the camera idea is great. I can record their behaviour and turn it loose to the proper people. The school paper isn't a bad idea either. I will look into it.

I was thinking about posting a bulletin, that goes something like this.

Offended, prothelisized to, or made uncomforable by the Baptists passing out the New Testiment on 10-6-09? Your not alone. Contact your administors at........and tell them how you feel.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.