Religion
 Conservapedia to re-write bible!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  13:58:44  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about making god in one's own image! Holy shit!

One would think that this has got to be a joke! Nope. As PZ Myers has found out, it isn't.

The Conservapedia people are themselves re-writing the bible!

Why? It's gotten too effing liberal over the years!

Isn't there some verse that goes against that kind of thing?

• lack of precision in the original language, such as terms underdeveloped to convey new concepts of Christianity
  • translation bias in converting the original language to the modern one.
  • lack of precision in modern language

First Example - Liberal Falsehood

The earliest, most authentic manuscripts lack this verse set forth at Luke 23:34:[7]
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Is this a liberal corruption of the original? This does not appear in any other Gospel, and the simple fact is that some of the persecutors of Jesus did know what they were doing. This quotation is a favorite of liberals but should not appear in a conservative Bible.

Yeah. To hell with that "forgiveness" shit. Speaking of which, one of the things that they want to deal with:
Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.

Yep. The current bible translations don't have enough hellfire in them for these guys! Hoy!

Basically, the BIBLE is now too "liberal"?? Liberals have been corrupting the bible over all these years? O sweet fucking Jebus! I have no idea how to even react.

Even more interesting: How will the Rapture Ready and Answers in Genesis-like characters react?

It's too bad that George Carlin isn't alive to see this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 10/05/2009 14:03:09

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  15:11:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeh, I saw that. Schlafly's kid's a trip, ain't he?

But y'know, the more things change, the more they stay the same -- and that's another useless, old saying that's mostly a crock. The Bible is probably the most revised and edited book ever conceived. Back in the Middle Ages and earlier, seems everyone got a piece of that action. Since then, various cults such as the Mormons and the Catholice have taken a whack at it -- in the case of the Cathies, it'd be another whack. They're the ones who picked it up after, if memory serves, Constantine.

I think what it is; they have never gotten over Jesus being a Jew.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  12:41:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
But y'know, the more things change, the more they stay the same -- and that's another useless, old saying that's mostly a crock.
Indeed.
I prefer...
"The more it stays the same, the less it changes..." The Majesty of Rock - Spinal Tap

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  14:13:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conservapedia debunks the Big Fat Flood!

About 2500 B.C. the inhabitants of the Indus River valley developed an urban culture based on commerce and sustained by agriculture. This civilization declined around 1500 B.C., probably due to environmental changes.

During the second millennium B.C., pastoral, Aryan-speaking tribes migrated from the northwest into the subcontinent, settled in the middle Ganges River valley, and adapted to antecedent cultures.

The Big, Fat Flood!
The Great Flood refers to the most catastrophic flood and the most catastrophic geological event that has ever taken place in human history.

Virtually nothing historical, from writings to civilization to long-living organisms like trees, has survived from before about 3000 B.C., an approximate date given to the Great Flood.[1]
Oops.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  19:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it gets any better than this. As a reason for doing the translation, they cite:

this would debunk the pervasive and hurtful myth that Jesus would be a political liberal today

That has to be satire. I don't see any way around it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  23:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I don't think it gets any better than this. As a reason for doing the translation, they cite:

this would debunk the pervasive and hurtful myth that Jesus would be a political liberal today

That has to be satire. I don't see any way around it.
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Mostly, religious "innovators" are careful to mask their revisionism. Not Schlafly's crew! They simply state their motivations, saying what they don't like about the Bible, and then damned well change the thing.

Has Jesus gone off the 2009 GOP/Fox talking point script? Fix him!

How they think this approach would even be acceptable to fundamentalists is beyond me. But Schlafly lives in his own, self-created mental landscape. He's profoundly and honestly nuts.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/07/2009 00:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  08:27:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rachel Maddow-Conservatives to rewrite Bible

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  15:18:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people are saying that this is really nothing new and the bible has no doubt been 'adjusted' before to suit political ends. They may be right, but in less enlightened times without rapid communication, massive exposure, and decent education, they could get away with it. This time we mustn't let them. These ultra-right whackos have been clutching their ancient text to their breasts for years, only moving it away when they try to beat the rest of us over the head with it. And all the while they have claimed that it is their god's immutable word and the absolute truth. Now they have become slaves to a different religion; their own agenda, and if their previous religion doesn't fit into that then they must change it.

They're not just moving the goalposts, they're re-aligning the field. Fuck 'em all.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  01:22:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, The Rat, religions have been editing and revising their immutable sacred texts since day one, but they've normally done it on the sly. What's interesting here is that Conservapedia's doing it openly and brazenly. There will be plenty of the slicker and slier kind of fundies who will take them to task for this. For us, it's just another wonderful point-and-laugh moment.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The earliest, most authentic manuscripts lack this verse set forth at Luke 23:34:[7]

What's wrong with omitting a line that wasn't in the earliest known texts? This seems like a drive towards accuracy rather than a rewrite to me.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  13:35:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

What's wrong with omitting a line that wasn't in the earliest known texts? This seems like a drive towards accuracy rather than a rewrite to me.
Oh, you likes those little fixes that make Jesus more like a Rush Limbaugh, does you?

Hey, why stop there, OffC? Why not go the Full Monty, back to the earliest scriptures that inspired so much of the Old Testament? Throw out everything that was written after the Sumerian creation myths were first pressed into clay in cuneiform!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/09/2009 13:35:43
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  13:48:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is it impossible for you to say anything without sounding like a complete asshole?

I don't know who Rush Limbaugh is, and I think that if something has been mistranslated or added to a text there is nothing wrong with correcting it.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 10/09/2009 13:49:23
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

is it impossible for you to say anything without sounding like a complete asshole?
Interesting that you deny you know who Rush Limbaugh is. I find that to be either literally incredible, or yet another sign of your extreme ignorance.

Better a complete asshole than a half-assed one, OffC.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/09/2009 14:25:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.