Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  05:30:01  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, the Nobel committee shows how ridiculous the Nobel Prize is. Obama now joins the company of great criminals like Henry Kissinger.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/09/2009 05:30:47

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  06:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Also, he kept Sarah Palin out of office. Isn't that good enough?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  06:42:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Once again, the Nobel committee shows how ridiculous the Nobel Prize is. Obama now joins the company of great criminals like Henry Kissinger.
Yeah, Kissenger was/is a douche, no doubt about it, but let us not forget the rest of the wretched scoundrels who've dishonored the award.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  09:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure none was more surprised than the Prez himself. Seems like a really stupid move at this point, no doubt it was Obamas fault for corrupting the process.

Woodrow Wilson, what a joke. Makes the 1976 Best Picture award seem acceptable.(Network got hosed)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:56:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He won it because he's black.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 10/09/2009 11:56:56
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  12:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Yeah, and Jesus was a homo pedophile.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  12:21:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Embarrassing as the Nobel Peace Prizes have been, I feel grateful it's the Norwegians who carry the responsibility for the less than admirable line of winners.

"to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Obama successfully negotiated with the Russians a reduction of nuclear warheads from some ~2500 on each side to 1500. That is a serious downscaling of the damage capability of respective military force, and technically a valid reason for selecting him as a winner.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  13:38:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

That's really offensively racist.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  13:39:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too, think the award was a little premature. At this point, there are others who are more deserving.

The reactions to this make an interesting read. The right-wing paranoiacs act like they've just been kicked in the codpiece by a rabid, Norwegan mule, doubtless a Democrat.
Obamamania comes as little surprise to Rush Limbaugh, who e-mailed us this morning after we asked him to share his thoughts. “The Nobel gang just suicide-bombed themselves. Gore, Carter, Obama, soon Bill Clinton. See a pattern here? They are all leftist sell-outs. George Bush liberates 50 million Muslims in Iraq, Reagan liberates hundreds of millions of Europeans and saves parts of Latin America. Any awards?” Limbaugh says “Obama gives speeches trashing his own country and for that gets a prize, which is now worth as much as whatever prizes they are putting in Cracker Jacks these days.”

“This fully exposes the illusion that is Barack Obama. It is a greater embarrassment than losing the Olympics bid. And with this "award" the elites of the world are urging Obama, THE MAN OF PEACE, to not do the surge in Afghanistan, not take action against Iran and its nuclear program and to basically continue his intentions to emasculate the United States. They love a weakened, neutered U.S. and this is their way of promoting that concept. I think God has a great sense of humor, too.”

Current wisdom has it, On Fire, that it was given him not because he's black (I'm sure they'll get around to that soon), but because he's not George Bush. A compelling reason, surely, but not a definitive one.

It will be interesting to see if and how this will affect his presidency.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I continue to like President Obama a hell of a lot more than some of you do. But I was surprised by the award, too. I think the Nobel is more a negative credit to George W. Bush than a positive credit to Barack Obama. This Nobel Prize is more part of the globe's reaction of profound relief at the departure of a President that told the world after 9/11, "If you're not with us, you're against us," and then announced a military "Crusade" against Islamic terrorism.

Those statements by Bush were, in turn, a frightening threat to both our traditional allies and to friendly neutrals, and needlessly provocative in using the hated term "Crusade," which was instantly recognized as a Christian sectarian threat by the entire Muslim world.

I do truly think Barack Obama will one day be worthy of being honored as a peacemaker, but simply hasn't had the time in office yet to prove that potential.

As observed by previous posters, the "Nobel Peace Prize" has always been pretty much a political joke.

Obama's "accomplishments," though important, are mainly potential. Obama said told it exactly right when he stated that he felt he was undeserving.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/10/2009 17:03:06
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Obama successfully negotiated with the Russians a reduction of nuclear warheads from some ~2500 on each side to 1500. That is a serious downscaling of the damage capability of respective military force, and technically a valid reason for selecting him as a winner.

That's a pretty low bar, especially when we're talking about the most war-happy "leader" on the planet.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:31:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nominees were supposed to be in on Feb 1st 2009. So he was nominated 11 days after taking office.

Hardly enough time to negotiate with the Russians on reducing killing power
US is still in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is just political.

Why not give it to Chavez for helping the Venezuelans to get out of poverty and his vision and efforts to create fair economic zone in South America?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The peace prize is always a political statement.

For my money they could do away with it entirely, just stick to science.

But this particular award is great. The sound of "conservative" heads imploding on live TV is awesome. (conservative in sarcasm quotes, because there are so few people with actual conservative values left)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes a little more sense:

• Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

Thousands of people are actually working towards contructive ends that could use the money, though.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  18:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thousands of people are actually working towards contructive ends that could use the money, though.
Yep. And my hope is that Obama does just that put the money into the hands of these people.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  18:55:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Yep. And my hope is that Obama does just that put the money into the hands of these people.

No reason to think he'd change now.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.