Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  01:13:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli
I suppose one could argue trials, by their nature, are too imperfect to allow for such a drastic decision -- though I am not sure I agree a life sentence or deciding a disputed presidential election, for examples, are much less drastic or important.
You might think it was more drastic and important if was your ass wrongly sentenced to death row. A life sentence can be commuted if exculpatory evidence is later uncovered. Death is permanent. Considering that mistakes do occur with disturbing frequency (the number of convicts exonerated by new DNA evidence techniques attests to that), the death penalty really is recklessly immoral.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  04:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Strange that most death penalty advocates are the type who don't trust the government to handle anything properly, but they'll trust them to get it right when it comes to killing someone.

Isn't that ironic or what?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  15:30:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Should screening of juries routinely include a general question about whether they put personal (including religious) ethics above the law? If they did, I don’t know if we’d have enough people left over to put on a jury.

I really don’t know what to conclude about these difficulties. I’ve never liked the idea of a “jury of peers”, but at the same time I don’t have an idea for a better alternative that I’m confident about.

Well at least the juries we'd have would be better. I have been on one jury (a relatively small civil case) and most of the other people on the jury had no clue about how to properly evaluate and analyze evidence and compare it to the law as the judge gave it to us. Their response was almost completely intuitive and / or emotional. It was a very frustrating experience. I believe we reached the correct conclusion, but not by doing it the right way.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  01:37:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by Machi4velli
I suppose one could argue trials, by their nature, are too imperfect to allow for such a drastic decision -- though I am not sure I agree a life sentence or deciding a disputed presidential election, for examples, are much less drastic or important.
You might think it was more drastic and important if was your ass wrongly sentenced to death row.

It would be extremely important to me if I was wrongly sentenced to life in prison as well, not sure how to weight the difference. Regardless, those arguing for the death penalty would necessarily have to accept the chance that an innocent person could be executed (if they support it and do not accept the chance, there is no rational argument that cannot be extremely easily overturned [i.e. a list of trials that have resulted in false convictions]).

A life sentence can be commuted if exculpatory evidence is later uncovered. Death is permanent. Considering that mistakes do occur with disturbing frequency (the number of convicts exonerated by new DNA evidence techniques attests to that), the death penalty really is recklessly immoral.

If there is no deterring effect, or there is one but it is countered by negative consequences of the death penalty (brutalizing effect?), then certainly anyone would have to accept that argument. If a small degree of deterrence does exist, the cost/benefit analysis argument still works, at least for those who keep score to decide what's morally right. (I don't accept the argument even in this case, but I don't think it is an irrational one.)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 10/21/2009 01:44:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.