Oh goody! A book-burning!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  04:10:25  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love book-burnings and this one is only a couple hundred miles from me. They're gonna serve fried and barbecue chicken and it should be a great time for everyone.

I love book-burnings 'cause they can't torch 'em as fast as we can print 'em and I am attracted to exercises in futility.

And what literary works are they going to torch, you ask? Well, it seems to be mainly every version of the Bible that isn't the King James Version (I have no idea why this dreck should be rate higher than the rest), the Pope's writings, Billy Graham's books, and a whole scad of other literary and even lyrical accomplishments.

I wish I could go; say what you will about southern, fundie Baptists, they know how to fry chicken!
North Carolina church to burn ‘Satan’s books,’ including works of Mother Teresa

By Kathleen Miller
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 -- 11:50 am

A Baptist Church near Asheville, N.C., is hosting a "Halloween book burning" to purge the area of "Satan's" works, which include all non-King James versions of the Bible, popular books by many religious authors and even country music.

The website for the Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, N.C., says there are "scriptural bases" for the book burning. The site quotes Acts 19:18-20: "And many that believed, came and confessed and shewed their deeds. Many of them also which used curious arts, brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed."

Church leaders deem Good News for Modern Man, the Evidence Bible, the New International Version Bible, the Green Bible and the Message Bible, as well as at least seven other versions of the Bible as "Satan's Bibles," according to the website. Attendees will also set fire to "Satan's popular books" such as the work of "heretics" including the Pope, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham and Rick Warren.

"I believe the King James version is God's preserved, inspired, inerrant and infallible word of God," Pastor Marc Grizzard told a local news station of his 14-member parish.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  04:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"14-member parish"

I suspect they could get national coverage if they were to call it a "Tea-Party".

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  05:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go please take pictures and post them, there's sure to be a few laughs there.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  07:33:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's next? Burn the readers?

Sounds like someone is a little insecure with there religion. Afraid that their raggedy old security blanket will be replaced.

With only 14 members there's no wonder as to why they're desperate.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  07:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We should have a KJV burning nearby at the same time.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  08:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've no doubt that they'll get a good turnout. The churchs around Ashville well outnumber the fast-food joints, and most if not all will contribute a page or two. 14 parish members will be enough the keep the chicken served up, and really, that's all that's important.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  10:59:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to the burning, and bring a few KJV and toss them in too.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  12:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

If you go please take pictures and post them, there's sure to be a few laughs there.
Unfortunately, I will have to get my fried chicken from Bojangles. I'd love to go but won't be able to. It should be quite a party.

They'll all eat chicken and have a book bonfire, and sing and really, many of those mountain church guitarists are very damned good. And I like a little gospel music, now & again. In short, everybody there's gonna have a lot'a fun while the rest of us just sit around and bribe the neighbor's brats not to egg our homes.

Hey, can you think of a better way to do Halloween than an old-fashoned book burning, eh?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  15:30:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that these folks are mainly burning rival Bibles. Religions love to devour one another. When you need serious blasphemy, always turn to your neighborhood church. This makes Bible-burnings by atheists seem perfectly legit!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  23:02:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we should nominate the pastor there, Marc Grizzard, as the Geologic Podcast's "Religious Moron of the Week"

Moooooooooooooooooronnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Edited by - podcat on 10/17/2009 23:03:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.