Anglicans "welcomed" back into Catholic Church
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  16:19:13  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite the positive ("welcomed") spin by CNN, this looks like nothing but a full-scale sectarian raid to me. A fight over dwindling resources -- the faithful. The Vatican wants to devour at least the right wing of the Anglican Communion.

In corporate terms, this is not a friendly take-over. It amounts to a deliberate attempt to finish off one of the major branches of Protestantism.
ROME, Italy (CNN) -- The Vatican said Tuesday it has worked out a way for groups of Anglicans who are dissatisfied with their faith to join the Catholic Church.
The Vatican says more Anglicans have expressed an interest in joining the Catholic Church.

The Vatican says more Anglicans have expressed an interest in joining the Catholic Church.

The process will allow groups of Anglicans, including bishops and married priests, to join the Catholic Church some 450 years after King Henry VIII broke from Rome and created the Church of England, forerunner of the Anglican Communion.

The number of Anglicans wishing to join the Catholic Church has increased in recent years as the Anglican church has welcomed the ordination of women and openly gay clergy and blessed homosexual partnerships, said Cardinal William Joseph Levada, the head of the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

Their talks with the Vatican recently began speeding up, Vatican officials said, leading to Tuesday's announcement

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/20/2009 16:32:29

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  04:29:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and it could certainly get interesting. This move drags the married priest issue out from under it's fetid, rotting log and onto the daylight for all to see it's insanity. That might or might not be a good thing.

I can visualize it as splitting the Church -- conservative traditionalists on one side, liberal progressives on another, and the rest not giving a rat's ass beyond being glad that Father Whosis is offically dipping his wick into someone besides an alter boy. They'll just wish that the other two'd shut the hell up about it.
ROME — In making it easier for traditionalist Anglicans to become Catholic, Pope Benedict XVI once again revealed the character of his papacy: to reach out to the most fervent of like-minded believers, even if they are not Catholic. Yet some observers wonder whether his move could paradoxically liberalize the church — or at least wedge it open — on a crucial issue: celibacy.

Times Topics: Christians and Christianity | Roman Catholic ChurchIn a momentous move on Tuesday, the Vatican said it would help Anglicans uncomfortable with female priests and openly gay bishops join a new Anglican rite within the Catholic Church.

The invitation also extends to married Anglican clergy. And so some have begun to wonder, even if the 82-year-old Benedict himself would never allow it, would more people in the Roman Catholic Church begin to entertain the possibility of married Catholic priests?

But I'm sure that the Church will work around it. Historically, they always have.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  09:01:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner wrote:
It amounts to a deliberate attempt to finish off one of the major branches of Protestantism.
A branch which was started 'cause a King wanted a divorce. Big whoop. Let 'em take the right wingers. The left wingers left over will be better without them.

The Catholic church has been shrinking, especially in the rich nations and among educated people, for quite a while. Swallowing the Anglicans won't save them now.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  15:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Mooner wrote:
It amounts to a deliberate attempt to finish off one of the major branches of Protestantism.
A branch which was started 'cause a King wanted a divorce. Big whoop. Let 'em take the right wingers. The left wingers left over will be better without them.

The Catholic church has been shrinking, especially in the rich nations and among educated people, for quite a while. Swallowing the Anglicans won't save them now.
All quite true. But this really is as severe an attack as one sect can make upon another. And the Anglican official reaction is so wishy-washy; they treat the raid as if it were a good thing:
The Church of England said the move ends a "period of uncertainty" for Anglican groups who wanted more unity with the Catholic Church.
As in, "The period of uncertainly regarding Grandmother's fate has been ended by her being thrown off the train."

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/24/2009 15:40:11
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  15:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner, just an off topic comment - I really like your quotes from Paul and Martin Luther. Did you recently add them to your signature?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  16:02:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Mooner, just an off topic comment - I really like your quotes from Paul and Martin Luther. Did you recently add them to your signature?
Yes, thanks for noticing! I wanted to show how early church fathers justified their pious fraud. What I found surprised me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.