Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  12:35:19  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you following this on MSNBC.com or 9news.com? I can't get it very well at work.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  13:00:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Balloon landed a half hour ago. No kid inside.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  14:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw shit!

But after reading this, it's not as much of a suprise.
DEVELOPING: A homemade balloon slowly descended in a Colorado field Thursday, but the fate of a 6-year-old boy believed to be inside was not known, authorities said.

The bizarre scene played out live on television and prompted fears that the flying saucer-shaped balloon would crash with the young child inside.

The child was identified as Falcon Heene, the son of a Colorado weather-chaser. The boy and his family first appeared on the ABC series "Wife Swap" on Oct. 3, 2008 and were voted back for the 100th episode of the show, which aired on March 13, 2009.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  15:10:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes. That damned thing was certainly what's known as an "attractive nuisance." I don't hold out much hope for the kid, who appears to have fallen to his death.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  15:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's been found safe at home.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  15:34:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The kid was safe at home the whole time. I suspect a publicity stunt.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  15:35:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

He's been found safe at home.
Oops, missed your post.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  17:45:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why I so despise the US media.

Why do I give a fuck if some kid crawled into a baloon? Why does this dominate "news" coverage for 3+ hours, and who knows how much more coverage it will get on the evening shift?

Jon Stewart called CNN a bunch of goatfuckers this week (for fact-checking a SNL skit but letting every politician on their network slide by without any fact-check), I would extent that to any "news" organization that gives this more than the passing mention it deserves.

If you need a goat fucked, just bring it to any of our 24hour news channels. They will take care of it for you.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  02:44:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

This is why I so despise the US media.
Oh, get off your high horse, Dude!

This incident was even greater than a perfect news story. It's a wonderful parable about the Republican health care plan.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  03:15:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't watch much of this, as I suspect most people didn't, I suppose that's why the 24/7 news people feel the need to overdo this stuff. People tune in and out.

But I was left with some questions. They were filming this thing for hours, but then they were surprised that part of the craft was missing? They tore the thing apart and then realized that there was no one there? At one point in the coverage someone said the KNEW that the boy was in there. Wouldn't a six-year-old boy in a cardboard box look like there was a six-year-old boy in a cardboard box?

How did they know he was in there? He went in, but then he left? Who was watching him? Did anyone think, "let's search the house and garage to make sure we're not wrong about this?"

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  04:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I didn't watch much of this, as I suspect most people didn't, I suppose that's why the 24/7 news people feel the need to overdo this stuff. People tune in and out.

But I was left with some questions. They were filming this thing for hours, but then they were surprised that part of the craft was missing? They tore the thing apart and then realized that there was no one there? At one point in the coverage someone said the KNEW that the boy was in there. Wouldn't a six-year-old boy in a cardboard box look like there was a six-year-old boy in a cardboard box?

How did they know he was in there? He went in, but then he left? Who was watching him? Did anyone think, "let's search the house and garage to make sure we're not wrong about this?"
Nah, too easy and it would require at least half a minute of reasoned thought. That's been in short supply in the media lately. Also there would be no newsie breathlessness to to keep everybody glued to the toob. Also if what I've read about the family is accurate (no guarantees there, either), they aren't too tightly wrapped, as well.

But the little stinker is ok, and that's the important thing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  05:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is, considering the size of the balloon, even if it were fully inflated with helium, would it have had enough lift to carry even a 6-yr-old boy to that altitude?

I have zero knowledge of this sort, but when you consider the size of the average hot-air balloon in relation to it's payload, I question whether that thing could have gotten aloft at all, with a 6-yr-old aboard.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  06:31:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I estimate the ballon had about 125-150lbs of lift(.064lb/ft^3), minus the weight of the material I'd say it should lift him.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 10/16/2009 06:31:59
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  06:39:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Steinn Sigurosson, 50 lbs of lift requires 750 cubic feet of Helium, and there's no way there was even that much in the thing. If cube-shaped, it would have been nine feet on a side, which is huge compared to what it was.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  07:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear it was 20' by 6' tall roughly.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  07:25:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears this whole thing was a hoax. This might be epic troll of the year. I have to lol.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.