Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  03:21:45  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remembering, of course, that "good" and "bad" are a matter of perspective. Anyhow, it seems that this relative is about to be honored with a Darwin.
Jacob "Jake" Gillett, 18, reached the summit of Saddle Mountain about 14 miles north of Seaside with three friends Saturday afternoon, then told them he planned to attempt a controlled slide down the cliff face and meet his friends on the main trail below or in the parking lot.

While most folks are satisfied with dune sliding, at most resulting in a 150 foot tumble and a broken limb, Jake decided to "Git-R-Dun." What started as a controlled rockslide, ended in hamburger when his lifeless corpse came to rest 1000 feet below the summit.

Well done, idiot! We are all so very proud!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  04:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Remembering, of course, that "good" and "bad" are a matter of perspective. Anyhow, it seems that this relative is about to be honored with a Darwin.

Ouch!
I don't know what to say...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  04:37:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by filthy

Ouch!
I don't know what to say...

I take it as a matter of family pride. After all, how many families can boast a Darwin Laureate? And, contrary to expectations, it wasn't me. Nor was it my hang-gliding mad brother, who has wrecked both knees landing his kites.

Hell what else can we do?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  05:12:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much of your genes got lost? I ment, how many of his genes were yours?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  05:28:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

How much of your genes got lost? I ment, how many of his genes were yours?
Don't know. Cousin Jake was a quite distant cousin at best. But genetically, we might have been pretty close, considering the stupid risks I've taken over the years. The difference is that I've gotten away with them, albeit with some damage here & there.

I'll say one thing for ol' Jake; he went out on one hell of a wild ride. Makes me feel a little envious -- but not so much as to try it. Old bones break easier....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  06:37:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"We're shocked," they claimed, "He's always doing stuff like this and comes out smiling."
Ouch, that had to hurt. Wonder if he died with an idiot smile on his face. I kind of doubt it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  09:01:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah well... If you're gonna take yourself out through stupidity, do it right and do it early. Otherwise the Darwin Award has no meaning. Jake is the perfect candidate for the award. (Unless he left behind some knocked up girlfriend.)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Taylor Ray-Jones

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  03:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Taylor Ray-Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, who the fuck are you and how are you related to jake? im related to him on his moms side of the family, so you must be from jasons side and if you are then its no wonder your calling a dead 18 year old boy an idiot, your an ass just like his father....and halfmooner your a piece a shit too!

R.I.P JLG
Edited by - Taylor Ray-Jones on 05/07/2011 03:58:41
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  11:29:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Taylor Ray-Jones

filthy, who the fuck are you and how are you related to jake? im related to him on his moms side of the family, so you must be from jasons side and if you are then its no wonder your calling a dead 18 year old boy an idiot, your an ass just like his father....and halfmooner your a piece a shit too!

I have no idea which side of the family I'm on. As stated, a distant cousin at best, only sharing the same name.

And yes, cousin Jake was an idiot. Even an 18 year old should have better sense than that. Was alcohol involved? The article didn't say, as I recall. I tried to look it up again, but couldn't access it.

Why, after all this time, are you bringing it up? Is alcohol involved?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Taylor Ray-Jones

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  14:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Taylor Ray-Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no alcohol wasnt involved....and as for his lifeless corps, I SAW IT! I was there for three days sleeping in our cars with the rest of the family while we searched for him. i carried his body to the medical examiner where he was put on a PARK BENCH so they could do the report.....i was handed the broken blood covered knife that was in his pocket when he fell. i spread his ashes in the siuxon canyon which is where he told me he wanted his ashes three days before he died......whatch your fuckin mouth and have a little respect for people who knew and cared about him. what happened was an accident. he actually pulled a women and her two small girls from their suv that flipped over in a ditch on his way up to saddle mountain that day.

R.I.P JLG
Edited by - Taylor Ray-Jones on 05/07/2011 14:27:17
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  14:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you moon at Lady Fate too many times, she'll ask her sister Luck to withhold her blessing.

If what you say is true then Jake was a good guy, but all Darwin Awards are justly received. I'll raise a pint o' stout to his honour, serving mankind both alive and otherwise.

The current link to this particular Darwin Award.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  15:17:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you share his name it seems logical to assume you are related on the father's (Jason's) side

I think Taylor Ray-Jones would make better use of his time by petitioning to the people who run these ghoulish "Darwin awards", assuming he hasn't done so already.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 05/07/2011 17:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  17:55:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was a intentional stunt gone wrong... then I have no sympathy for the corpse. If the guy just fell, that is another story. That makes it tragedy instead of comedy.

Are the local news reports in error Taylor? If not, then the kid died from his own stupidity. If they are wrong, and it was purely an accident, then that more or less sucks, and the press sucks for getting the story wrong.

So which is it?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  19:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taylor: Don't get me wrong! Jake sounded like a good guy and his loss is tragic, but if it was some crazy stunt, then yeah: If one does take too many dangerous risks like that, it's inevitable that sooner or later, it'll catch up with you.

If it was an unintentional accident you do have my full sympathies (you do anyway, actually) but...if it was just some stunt he pulled, then in a way the tragedy was worse; it was avoidable, and he should have thought of those he'd leave behind if his "stunt" were to fail.

As for the "Darwin Awards", I suspect that they're set up as a cautionary site whose main purpose is to warn others to not risk their lives needlessly in stupid ways. It's as much a "warning site" as much as a dark humour site.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 05/07/2011 19:03:11
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  21:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Confimation: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/teen_who_died_in_fall_on_saddl.html

Ouch. He pushed his luck too far.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Taylor Ray-Jones

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  00:40:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Taylor Ray-Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it wasnt a stunt gone wrong.... the actual "controlled slide" went just fine. at the top of the cliff you could see where his " slide marks" stopped and foot prints walked to the edge of the cliff, maybe to take a look. from there we "think" he lost his footing . you could see where his foot prints turned around and then there was prints/tracks that looked like he slipped or fell turning around to walk back to the trail, he had a ruck sack on that probably wieghed 35-40 pounds and could have thrown his balance off

R.I.P JLG
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.