Excellent…
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  12:39:47  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link
A Paris court convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud and fined it more than 600,000 euros ($900,000) on Tuesday but stopped short of banning the group as prosecutors had demanded.

A pity, but we'll take what we can get. Another pity that we can't take what we can get out of the scaly hides of these scumbags.
The group's French branch immediately announced it would appeal the verdict.

The court convicted the Church of Scientology's French office, its library and six of its leaders of organized fraud. Investigators said the group pressured members into paying large sums of money for questionable financial gain and used "commercial harassment" against recruits.

The group was fined euro400,000 ($600,000) and the library euro200,000. Four of the leaders were given suspended sentences of between 10 months and two years. The other two were given fines of euro1,000 and euro2,000.

However, the court did not order the Church of Scientology to shut down, ruling that it would be likely to continue its activities anyway "outside any legal framework."

Actually, this is a pretty cool move. The Scientologists will indeed continue on and, being greedy as well as stupid, will leave themselves open to further prosecution. One hopes that it will get progressively harsher.

Too bad they won't go on prosecute Catholic/Protestant/Muslim/etc. fraud whilst they're about it....

[Moved to the Religion folder - Dave W.]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  07:13:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
L. Ron's dreadful, little circle-jerk is getting it from all sides, I am happy to report. Now they've had one of their directors tell them to go piss in their collective hats.
Yeah, it's a Hollywood mixed with Scientology story, which I normally avoid like the plague, but director Paul Haggis's very public and damning resignation from the Church of Scientology because he couldn't reconcile his belief in the fundamental unfairness of banning gay marriage and his church's support for it is definitely worth a read:

In what may prove to be an earth-shaking rupture for the organization, Oscar-winning writer and director Paul Haggis has broken publicly with the Church of Scientology, the Hollywood-centric religion that has recently come under renewed scrutiny for its political positions.

In a scathing letter to the church's celebrity contact, Tommy Davis, Haggis accused the church of hypocrisy and lies, especially regarding its decision to support the anti-gay-marriage proposition on the California ballot last year, Proposition 8.

"I told you I could not, in good conscience, be a member of an organization where gay-bashing was tolerated," Haggis wrote, referring to support for Prop. 8 in the church's San Diego branch. "You promised action. Ten months passed. No action was forthcoming."

He added: "The church's refusal to denounce the actions of these bigots, hypocrites and homophobes is cowardly. I can think of no other word. Silence is consent, Tommy. I refuse to consent."

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

AnthroGeek

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AnthroGeek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see them brought up on charges under the RICO act.

A series of fun one-liners about various pseudoscientific claims and, even better, a concise description of the scientific method - Ken Feder on Skeptic Friends Network from "Frauds, Myths and Mysteries"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:24:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AnthroGeek

I would love to see them brought up on charges under the RICO act.
I think it's been tried to no avail. The Grift of Scientology is nothing if not slippery. They are often accused but seldom convicted, which is why the French decision is such a breath of fresh air.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.