The Origin of Life, Abiogenesis, Dr. Jack Szostak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  08:50:07  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came across this great little video presentation at the
Austin Atheist Community message board just now...

The complaint is that:

A) life arose from nothing
B) life evolves only from other life
C) statement B contradicts statement A.

The video here gives a good explanation than shows how the contradiction can be avoided!!!!

It's a nice video because it has nice music. The music climaxes at a good point too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  10:35:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice video

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Without having watched the video, my initial response is that premise B is faulty.
We know that life evolves from other life, but do we have evidence that it only evolves from other life?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Edited to add:
A nice video indeed.
As I see it, a very plausible explanation for Abiogenesis.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/30/2009 11:47:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  13:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks! It's all so very simple, isn't it? Ockham too, would approve...

And the bonus is that music alone made it worth the look.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  14:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

The complaint is that:

I haven't had time to watch the video, either, but both A and B appear to be incorrect.

Life didn't arise from "nothing," but from systems of molecules that had almost all of the qualities that we attribute to life (reproduction, metabolism, etc.). At least, that's the current scientific hypothesis, whether one is a fan of "RNA world" or any other serious Origin-of-Life scenario.

If any of those hypotheses are true, then premise B is flatly false, and the fact that it contradicts another false premise (A) is utterly meaningless.

Also, if premise A implies going all the way back to the Big Bang, then it's still false, because the entire universe "came from" something, even if we don't know what it is.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  14:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
If any of those hypotheses are true, then premise B is flatly false, and the fact that it contradicts another false premise (A) is utterly meaningless.
Premise B can be considered correct if evolution is defined as changes to lifeforms once they already exist (by whatever means). Therefore, life would be considered a prerequisite for evolution, i.e. life evolves only from other life (but it can originate from non-life).

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/30/2009 14:54:17
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  16:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Premise B can be considered correct if evolution is defined as changes to lifeforms once they already exist (by whatever means). Therefore, life would be considered a prerequisite for evolution, i.e. life evolves only from other life (but it can originate from non-life).
Yeah, but evolution isn't defined that way. To have evolution occur, all one needs is an imperfect replicator and a selective environment. Not life. Given that fragments of RNA exhibit differential replication based on external factors like pH and temperature, it's undoubtable that if "RNA world" existed, it evolved to become life.

That's why many biologists consider the "that's abiogenesis, not evolution" to be a non-starter rebuttal to creationist nonsense. Evolution had to occur before biology, when all that existed on Earth was a massive organic chemistry experiment. Current evolution is only different from the pre-biotic evolution in terms of which molecules are mutating, and what "reproductive success" means.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  19:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
Yeah, but evolution isn't defined that way. To have evolution occur, all one needs is an imperfect replicator and a selective environment. Not life. Given that fragments of RNA exhibit differential replication based on external factors like pH and temperature, it's undoubtable that if "RNA world" existed, it evolved to become life.
I watched the video, and it does a good job of showing natural selection working on simple proteins encased in lipids. I would agree that this is evolution.

That's why many biologists consider the "that's abiogenesis, not evolution" to be a non-starter rebuttal to creationist nonsense.
PZ has said the same thing. Unfortunately, the video begins by making a bold distinction between abiogenesis and evolution (even while later demonstrating natural selection acting on non-living molecules.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/30/2009 19:34:57
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  20:19:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then you have morons, like in this brief film, all over the place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504&feature=related

What a bunch of neaderfucks.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.