Ray Comfort plagiarized 'Origin' introduction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  13:49:12  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We already know Ray Comfort is a maroon, a compulsive liar, an ignoramus, an idiot and wears poopy drawers. Now, with a hat tip to PZ Myers, we see he's an even lower creature than all that.

Comfort used repeated, unattributed, outright plagiarized quotes in his infamous "introduction" to his butchered version of Darwin's Origin of Species. Specifically the detestable Comfort stole whole passages, barely changed at all, from "A Brief History of Charles Darwin" by Dr. Stan Guffey.

He's just one example:
Ray: On returning to England in 1836, Darwin set to work examining and disseminating the extensive collection of specimens he acquired during the voyage. He quickly established a reputation as an accomplished naturalist on the London scene. In 1839 he married his cousin, Emma Wedgwood. That same year he published his journal of the voyage of the Beagle, which brought him immediate celebrity among London’s intellectuals. In 1842 he and Emma moved to Down House in Kent. It was there that she bore ten children and she and Charles spent the rest of their lives.

Stan: On returning to England in 1836, Darwin set to work examining and disseminating the extensive collection of natural history specimens acquired during the voyage. He quickly established a reputation as an accomplished naturalist on the London scene. In 1839 he married Emma Wedgwood, and saw his journal of the voyage of the Beagle published. In 1842 he and Emma moved to Downe house, Kent where Emma would bear 10 children and she and he would live for the rest of their lives.
Here's another link. And another yet.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/04/2009 13:52:39

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  14:04:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In our earlier discussion of the book, I could have sworn that I'd written about how it seemed like a bunch of the intro didn't sound like Ray's writing. And I meant to go back and do a line-by-line Googling, but apparently forgot, dangit. I could have scooped these guys by four months or so.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  14:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just repeat wholesale from someone else and change just enough words so you can claim you didn't steal it outright. Real class, Ray.

P.S. I don't think the charge that Ray has poopy pants has been confirmed, except possibly by Kurt Cameron. And the less said about that the better.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  09:22:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a superb slam-down on Comfort's boneheaded attempt to hijack Darwin's The Origins of Species.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  09:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner......

Ray Discomfort is absolutely a world-class liar, ignorant beyond human comprehension, at the imbecile end of the idiot spectrum, and revels in squirming in his soiled breeches---but what in the hell is a maroon?

Webster describes a "a fugitive Negro slave of the West Indies, living in the West Indies and especially in the mountains of Jamaica or in Guiana and especially in Surinam" and gives some reference to
"wild, savage, literally, living on mountaintops, from Spanish cima top, summit, from Latin cyma young sprout of cabbage "; but with the possible exception of the cabbage description, none seem appropriate for a discription of Ray.

"Maroon" ??
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Mooner......

Ray Discomfort is absolutely a world-class liar, ignorant beyond human comprehension, at the imbecile end of the idiot spectrum, and revels in squirming in his soiled breeches---but what in the hell is a maroon?

Webster describes a "a fugitive Negro slave of the West Indies, living in the West Indies and especially in the mountains of Jamaica or in Guiana and especially in Surinam" and gives some reference to
"wild, savage, literally, living on mountaintops, from Spanish cima top, summit, from Latin cyma young sprout of cabbage "; but with the possible exception of the cabbage description, none seem appropriate for a discription of Ray.

"Maroon" ??

What a maroon!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  11:43:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mooner......

"Maroon" ??

Bill.... How can a person with your antideluvian status not recognize that particular pop culture reference?

Senectitude gets everyone eventually I guess!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  13:27:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Bill.... How can a person with your antideluvian status not recognize that particular pop culture reference?

Senectitude gets everyone eventually I guess!
Dude, with senectitude, follows rectitude, certitude, attitude, desuetude, decrepitude, and finally sanctitude. I am just entering the seventh stage, so genuflect, goddammit!

I do remember when Bugs Bunny was just a kitten, albeit a pretty cool cat!

Maroon!... God dam mormons!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  01:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Michael Johnson is reporting that Comfort has removed the link to his "introduction" to OOS from his own Website.

Johnson also takes apart the Darwin/Hitler crap, again.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  16:32:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take it the introduction has not been removed from the books themselves, 700 copies of which were distributed on the local college campus:

http://www.record-eagle.com/archivesearch/local_story_323072529.html

The good news is, a week from Monday, the local theater will be screening "Inherit the Wind".

http://www.traversecityfilmfest.org/statetheatre/?page=comingsoon

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Edited by - podcat on 11/22/2009 16:44:15
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  23:19:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mooner......

"Maroon" ??
Well, I am careful normally in using terms that don't have awkward, or even racist overtones, but I missed that when I use "maroon." I pretty much used it as Bugs Bunny did to mean ignoramus, while doing as much thinking about word origins as he did. I may even have learned it from Bugs.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.