The economics of reefer.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  03:49:27  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"A Bag of weed, a bag of weed;
Everything's better with a bag of weed!"
~~ Brian and Stewie Griffin

Not much that we didn't already know here, really. But it's good to see actual numbers proposed instead of hyperbole, and while those numbers are open to question, I don't think they're all that far off. Indeed, they could well be on the short side.

VIPERS OF THE WORLD UNITE, man!

If Marijuana Production Were Legal: Projected Tax Revenues, by State

Love it or hate it, people smoke marijuana - lots of it. In some states marijuana consumption and posession have been decriminalized, and even legalized for medicinal purposes. But, have you ever wondered how large the economics of Marijuana were? Us too. As a result ,have decided to put together this graphic, which illustrates the popularity of marijuana consumption, the federal tax dollars spent to keep marijuana illegal, and the possible tax revenues that could be generated if marijuana production were legalized and taxed like any other agricultural product. It is especially interesting, with regards to the Great Recession:

As an aside, the term "Viper" was once used to describe a pot smoker. It is an archaic term from the '20s.

Oh, and be sure to take the beer poll; Budweiser is hog piss!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  04:46:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prohibition was an utter social failure, the 'war on drugs' is no different.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  04:56:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus, it can be FUN!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  06:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed!

I use a little pot as a pain remedy. It beats hell out of the narcotics the VA keeps insisting I use -- Rush would kill for the prescriptions I can get with a phone call.

And yes, I like to get a little buzz in the evening whether I'm hurting or not -- so arrest me.

A little buzz..... Oh, wait....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  10:10:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy:
As an aside, the term "Viper" was once used to describe a pot smoker. It is an archaic term from the '20s.

Indeed. Here is the great Fats Waller doing his If You're a Viper.

"I dreamed about a reefer five feet long / A mighty immense, but not to strong"

"mighty immense" might be "mez." There seems to be some disagreement over that line. I hear it the way I wrote it. In some later versions it became "not too fat and not too strong."

Anyhow, back to topic.

Edited several times to get to the bottom of the story..

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  11:14:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a nice little version of 'If youse a viper' by Hank Williams sound-alike and Austin native, Wayne Handcock.
Another great rendition is from the old long-gone black folk/blues group Martin, Bogen, and Armstrong.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 11/16/2009 11:14:46
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  12:36:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They did music, 'way back then. Today's pop ain't a patch on it. Now, back to topic....

Another little buzz.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  20:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

"A Bag of weed, a bag of weed;
Everything's better with a bag of weed!"
~~ Brian and Stewie Griffin

Not much that we didn't already know here, really. But it's good to see actual numbers proposed instead of hyperbole, and while those numbers are open to question, I don't think they're all that far off. Indeed, they could well be on the short side.

VIPERS OF THE WORLD UNITE, man!

If Marijuana Production Were Legal: Projected Tax Revenues, by State

Love it or hate it, people smoke marijuana - lots of it. In some states marijuana consumption and posession have been decriminalized, and even legalized for medicinal purposes. But, have you ever wondered how large the economics of Marijuana were? Us too. As a result ,have decided to put together this graphic, which illustrates the popularity of marijuana consumption, the federal tax dollars spent to keep marijuana illegal, and the possible tax revenues that could be generated if marijuana production were legalized and taxed like any other agricultural product. It is especially interesting, with regards to the Great Recession:

Oh, and be sure to take the beer poll; Budweiser is hog piss!

Budwieser is not hog piss.

In the 1890's, the Army Corps of Engineers reversed the flow of the Chicago River. This sent all of Chicago's waste from the rending houses and public sewers to St. Louis. Where they bottled it and sent it back to us as Budweiser Beer.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  21:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, that particular avenue of pleasure is no more for me. Never was really, because I learned very early that I am one of those rare people who gets violent hangovers from the stuff. In fact it starts even before the buzz wears off so it isn't even a hangover. But oh what a horrible feeling. Debilitating nausea, cold sweats, dizziness, bazooka barfing, just too nasty to ever want again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.