Palin a Birther
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  10:52:46  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably doesn't come as much of a surprise. Whether she believes it or not she definitely knows her target book buying audience.

Link

What is sad for me is that my mother also believes that there may be some legitimacy behind the birther nonsense.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  11:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Probably doesn't come as much of a surprise. Whether she believes it or not she definitely knows her target book buying audience.

Link

What is sad for me is that my mother also believes that there may be some legitimacy behind the birther nonsense.

Figures...

While I do think Palin is a dummy, I also think she has no small amount of political savvy. She knows who her followers are, and she panders to them. I doubt that she will ever get a nomination to be much more than a dog catcher, but as the voice of a fairly large minority, living on the fringes of what has become a fringe party, she will not be without a say when it's time for the Republicans to decide on whom they will support with real RNC money.

All the better. The nuttier they are, and the further to the right they are pushed by people like Palin, the less likely it is that they will be elected. She is the Kool-Aid.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  12:29:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreein' with Kil, but I do not think she is at all stupid. She is a blatant opportunist willing to grasp anything that will further her political career, be it sucking up the the religious right and the teabaggers (same thing) to doing smarmy winks at the cameras that are pointed at her constantly and without pause. What pity she's not a liberal Dimocrap, eh?

The Republican Party is rapidly approaching a political nadir. I expect to see Palin leading the dive. I think it'll be fun to watch when, in '12, the party finds itself trying to accommodate her and her insane multitude of wannabe lovers.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/04/2009 12:31:24
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  15:18:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palin is smart enough, but abysmally ignorant. She has shown no inclination to get educated but why should she? Like Limbaugh and Beck, she is making a fortune off of the ignoramouses that comprise the Radical Right Wingnuts of the Republican party. Ignorance is power to these people, and indeed, it works - up to a point.

I don't think any of these professional rabble-rousers are going to be taken seriously by the electorate as a whole in '10 and '12. But Obama and the Party better get off of their timid asses and start showing these lying scumbags up for what they are!

Many years ago Joseph Goebbels demonstrated that if you repeat political lies often enough, a large segment of the population will come to believe them!
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  19:30:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palin. Birthers. Pah! Where's the emoticon that rolls its eyes then pukes? Oh, well, this will doo:
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  03:59:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago Joseph Goebbels demonstrated that if you repeat political lies often enough, a large segment of the population will come to believe them!

Rather like the first sentence of my signature; words of the infamous but nonetheless true, to be remembered through the ages.

From my reading and somewhat to my astonishment, these teabagging jerkoffs are going to be trying to get more or less "moderate" Republicans out of office and replace them with howling, heavily salivating brachiators of their own bordering-on-treasonous stripe. Usually off-season elections are dull, local affairs but next year promises to be an exception.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  23:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Link

Palin's a hateful fanatic. But even she's cynically careful not to openly espouse the birther position, but merely to pander to them by supporting their right to keep pushing disproven lies.

I do think Palin is profoundly and deliberately ignorant in almost every area. I think that she is capable of believing anything she chooses to, without reflection. That produces a condition that is almost indistinguishable from stupidity. But she's also sly, knows how to manipulate those even more stupid than herself, and has strong predatory animal instincts. What she hasn't got an once of is any kind of real political savvy or leadership ability.

The GOP, thanks to both the tenacity and the effectively leaderless idiocy of the ever-more-lunatic rightist elements that dominate the party, is self destructing. There's almost no sign at all of its moderates or its "paleo-conservatives" rallying to take back control. I expect the Republican Party to descent into increasingly fascistic obscurity. It's replacement on the national stage is likely to be a new party.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/06/2009 06:39:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  02:54:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but she looks great in a skirt; that's the important thing and the basis of her political philosophy. Seriously, that along with great poise and the cleverness to pounce upon opportunity like a hungry spider are what she's got, and she uses every bit of it very well indeed.

I would not be in too big of a hurry to call her an idiot and write her off. I predict that barring accident, she'll be cluttering up the national discourse for a long time to come.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.