Interactive SFN Forums
 Comments on Articles
 Miracle Thaw Tray
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kaniverstand

0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  10:43:58  Show Profile Send Kaniverstand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miracle Thaw Tray... Is this Topic locked? Has anyone discussed the Federal Trade Commission's(FTC) 1997 findings regarding the false advertising claims about Miracle Thaw Defrosting Tray?

The report names PREMIER PRODUCTS, INC., and T.V. PRODUCTS, INC., and T.V.P. CORPORATION, corporations, and MICHAEL SANDER, individually and as an officer of the corporations, and ISSIE KROLL, individually and as an officer of the corporations.

The report concluded as follows:

"12. In truth and in fact:

A. There is a potential risk of buildup of harmful or unsafe levels of bacteria on perishable frozen food items defrosted or thawed on Miracle Thaw. Miracle Thaw operates at room temperature, and defrosting or thawing perishable food at room temperature, even for relatively short periods of time, increases the risk of harmful or unsafe bacteria buildup.

B. In many cases, Miracle Thaw will not defrost or thaw frozen food items in the claimed time periods. Defrosting or thawing times will vary depending on several factors, including the size, shape, and thickness of the food item, the number of items placed on the tray at one time, the number of times the tray is reheated during defrosting or thawing, and room temperature. In some cases actual defrosting or thawing times may be three or more times longer than the claimed defrosting or thawing times.

C. Miracle Thaw does not achieve the accelerated defrosting or thawing depicted in the advertisements referred to in Paragraph 8 by superconducting or transferring heat energy from the air into frozen food items. Miracle Thaw is a Teflon-coated aluminum tray that can only achieve the accelerated defrosting or thawing depicted in the advertisements referred to in Paragraph 8 if it is preheated before use and reheated during use. Similar results could be achieved with any aluminum pan.

Therefore, the representations set forth in Paragraph 11 were, and are, false or misleading.

13. Through the means described in Paragraph 8, respondents have represented, expressly or by implication, that they possessed and relied upon a reasonable basis that substantiated the representations set forth in Paragraph 11, at the time the representations were made.

14. In truth and in fact, respondents did not possess and rely upon a reasonable basis that substantiated the representations set forth in Paragraph 11, at the time the representations were made. Therefore, the representation set forth in Paragraph 13 was, and is, false or misleading.

15. In their advertising and sale of Miracle Thaw, respondents have represented that Miracle Thaw is effective, useful, or appropriate for defrosting or thawing frozen food items. Respondents have failed to disclose that defrosting or thawing perishable food on Miracle Thaw may pose a risk of buildup of harmful or unsafe bacteria on the food. These facts would be material to consumers in their purchase or use of the product. Respondents' failure to disclose these facts, in light of the representation made, was, and is, a deceptive practice.

16. The acts and practices of respondents as alleged in this complaint constitute unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce in violation of Section 5(a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act.

THEREFORE, the Federal Trade Commission this twenty-sixth day of February, 1997, has issued this complaint against respondents.

By the Commission.

Donald S. Clark
Secretary

SEAL:

[Exhibits A-B attached to paper copies of complaint, but not available in electronic format.]"

In Light of the above, is it any wonder that new Miracle Thaw Defrosting Trays are no longer available?

JJFISemper

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  11:05:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was this post in moderation for....12 years? Sorry, but it looks like old news...

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  11:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Kaniverstand. Thanks for your interest in my article on the Miracle Thaw Tray with regard to the FTC's action against Premier Products Inc. and all those named in the compliant. I did indeed include a link at the end of my article to the complaint issued by the FTC at:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1997/02/c3720cmp.htm

And no, the topic wasn't locked. It was archived by mistake, and isn't available for comment in anymore. One day we will get around to fixing it. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that has caused you.

As for the trays not being available anymore, that's not exactly true. A version of the tray can be found here, and by another manufacturer here. The original tray can also be found all over Ebay. And curiously, when I ran into the tray that I described in my article, the FTC had already filed the above suit several years earlier.

Can't keep a good scam down, I guess.

I have actually received letters from people asking me where they can purchase a Miracle Thaw Tray. Go figure?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  11:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
I have actually received letters from people asking me where they can purchase a Miracle Thaw Tray. Go figure?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  12:58:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

...I have actually received letters from people asking me where they can purchase a Miracle Thaw Tray. Go figure?

They probably want to use it to enhance their cold fusion reactors.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  13:58:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Originally posted by Kil

...I have actually received letters from people asking me where they can purchase a Miracle Thaw Tray. Go figure?

Didn't Miss Cleo recommend it?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  16:10:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Originally posted by Chippewa

Originally posted by Kil

Didn't Miss Cleo recommend it?

I think it was Sarah Palin. Her snake oil is a lot more intense if not as classy as Miss Cleo's.

Welcome to SFN, Kaniverstand!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.