It's gonna be a stoned revolution!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  08:33:42  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I lived in VT, I had a friend who used to preach that sermon; he was serious too. At least as serious as a man could get could get with a headfull of Vermont Green and dubiously-tuned guitar.

But we shouldn't make light of it, in this case it's a very nasty situation.
Top NATO commander General Stanley McChrystal calls training local soldiers and cops “our main effort” in Afghanistan. But whipping recruits into shape is a whole lot harder when they’re stoned out of their minds.

“You walk into a whole squad of ANA [Afghan National Army] smoking hashish. They don’t understand that the use of drugs, it effects the way that they accomplish their mission,” says one disgusted marine. “Soldiers come out without helmets, soldiers come out missing a lot of gear.”

Obviously, there are plenty of units that are more professional. But this isn’t the first time red-eyed Afghan troops have been caught on tape.

I do not envy those trainers. Trying to whip rogether a local force that can whip the Taliban is a daunting task to start with. If they have to do it with a parcel of giggling wipe-outs, it becomes Sisyphusian.

What became of my friend in VT? I'm glad you asked.

Well, as of a decade or so ago. he'd cleaned up his act, tuned his guitar, and was teaching at the University of Vermont. Let us hope that the Afganis and their trainers have equal success.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds.